Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Equalizer with er Denzel Washington!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so now i hear is doing flight number 123 unstoppable plane movie?

• Registered Users Posts: 86,700 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

Denzel Washington is set to play the lead role in Nicolas
    Winding Refn's big-screen adaptation of The Equalizer

Could be pretty decent with that pairing

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That's a nice combo going on, I'm suddenly interested; although I'm sure Refn won't simply repeat the slick, 80s stylings of Drive for this. Forgiveable given the source material, but I'm presuming he'll go for another tone & it won't be Drive 2.

If he did revisit the 80s vibe, I hope he brings back the cheese-tastic brilliance of the show's theme tune. Man, the title sequence is a lost art in modern TV; barely recall the show itself, but the tune - soooo good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Loved that show when i was a kid. Gritty and dark is the way my mind remembers this... Think is would be great for a TV reboot with Clive Owen in the lead role.

Antoine Fuqua will direct now and Chloe Grace Moretz to co-star with Denzel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Schnitzel Muncher

BrookieD wrote: »
    Loved that show when i was a kid. Gritty and dark is the way my mind remembers this... Think is would be great for a TV reboot with Clive Owen in the lead role.

Have you seen 'I'll sleep when I'm dead'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

What a load of "post Taken" style sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Well, that trailer was fairly uninspired.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Man On Fire 2.

This time.............it's personal.

• Advertisement

It looks like generic nonsense but supposedly it tested through the roof and its numbers were amongst the best ever. So good that a sequel has been in preproduction since late last year. From the trailer it's hard to get excited, it looks like a best of 00s action cinema and while the series has aged badly there was a real coldness that I can't see being replicated here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was more interested in this when Nicolas Winding Refn was supposedly in line to direct, but I guess that was way off the mark if someone like Antoine Fuqua got the gig instead. Training Day was a good film, but the rest of his work has suggested an uninspired gun for hire. The generic tone of the trailer isn't helped by Washington doing his action face; nothing we haven't seen a thousand times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭CPSW

Was a fan of the original show, and was looking forward to this take on it, but from the trailer, it just looks like a generic Denzel movie he has been churning out the past few years!

Will still watch it though! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Can't stand Denzel Washington, very over rated in my opinion. From the trailer, it looks like a very generic film. Got one minute in, it seemed like it was showing you the whole plot. Might be worth a rental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Can't stand Denzel Washington, very over rated in my opinion.

Ah, would ya stop the lights. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭connollys

First impression I got when seen the trailer is it looks like a Reacher movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,697 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Who is going to be playing Mickey?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I like Denzel and this looks ok for what it is.. a generic Taken/Reacher clone

But The Equalizer it isn't. Don't know how they even connected the two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I saw this today, it was good, but... I've never seen the show, is it meant to be fully serious? It kinda felt like it was taking the piss at some points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

This was boring. Great first thirty minutes then rapidly downhill. The moron goons line up one by one to be executed, there's no challenge, thrill or originality.

In the final fight he takes out ten goons but can't be bothered picking up any of their guns?

Pointless slow mo and showy style over any pretence of substance..

I'm not even going to bother talking about irrelevant issues like plot or character.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was a better Jack Reacher movie (in spirit) than Jack Reacher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

And Jack Reacher is a much better movie, this one being awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I thought this was great, all the fun of Taken crossed with Man on Fire. Some cheesy as hell parts but all in all good fun with some interesting kills.

It did well at the US box office

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭bren2001

Saw it last night. It was easily the worst film I have seen this year. No back story, no real motive for his actions and the goons just seemed the be lined up the die. It was all a bit one sided. It was one of the few times I regretted going to the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Gave up around 80 minutes in (not something I've done for years). Utterly drab and tedious with not one single image in that time sticking with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Pretty bad movie, started OK as these things go but it just got more and more ridiculous - you had to start wondering was it a deliberately half comedic effort.

The last 30 minutes were absurdly unrealistic, even by the one-man-army movie genre.

One to avoid and I usually love these types of movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

There are super-hero movies, then there is 'The Equalizer'. The guy makes the film 'Rambo' look like a true story. This is enjoyable for the first 60 mins but the last hour is plain ridiculous and stupid. Its a shame they had to throw all plot and whatever sense there was in this out the window for the last hour. Its so OTT that i wouldnt have been surprised to have seen this 60 yr old heading down to hell and kicking Satan's ass. Its still worth a watch and i hear they are even planning on making a franchise out of this. God help whoever he takes a dislike to next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Don't know why people are expecting this to be anything other than crap since Denzel has made less than 5 decent films in his career. How he's still an A list actor is a mystery.

Advertisement