Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Equalizer with er Denzel Washington!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56,110 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I really enjoyed the movie. Well paced, interesting and not overloaded with action for the sake of it. Great death/fight scenes too. Of course, unbelievable in parts, but what action movie isn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭SherlockWatson

Don't know why people are expecting this to be anything other than crap since Denzel has made less than 5 decent films in his career. How he's still an A list actor is a mystery.

Flight.
    Training Day.
    The Hurricane.
    Malcolm X.
    Cry Freedom.
    Glory.
    Remember The Titans.
    Inside Man.
    American Gangster.

This movie wasn't great I'll admit, but regards Denzel Washington, you're talking out your rectum, he is an A Lister and has made many terrific movies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

A marvellous movie. Excellent way to pass two hours.loved it.denzels last movie wasn't great but this was really enjoyed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Love Denzel. Hate mindless movies.

Tough call!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 dante2015

hang on as i remember the original 80's tv series was a white englishman in new york driving a jaguar xj12 (a car i loved), the film is a black american with no car how can it be the equalizer then,

its upside down and backwards

and is not a remake at all just a hollywood hash

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Ok so that got switched off in record time.

Utter shīte.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Flight.
    Training Day.
    The Hurricane.
    Malcolm X.
    Cry Freedom.
    Glory.
    Remember The Titans.
    Inside Man.
    American Gangster.

This movie wasn't great I'll admit, but regards Denzel Washington, you're talking out your rectum, he is an A Lister and has made many terrific movies.

I'd add Mo' Better Blues, Devil in a Blue Dress, Philadelphia and Man on Fire to that list too. Yeah, he's been in a few clangers, but the good definitely outweighs the bad for me.

I'm actually looking forward to watching The Equalizer...:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Inside Man was awful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

catallus wrote: »
    Inside Man was awful.

Nope. Cool film. One of his best popcorn ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Garbage with nice lips and close ups of eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Seen this in the cinema when it was out. Didn't really like it. I like him as an actor, but it was too unbelievable. He just ended up killing everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Spoilers, puh-leeze :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    Seen this in the cinema when it was out. Didn't really like it. I like him as an actor, but it was too unbelievable. He just ended up killing everyone.

Agree.

Throughout the movie I couldn't help but think of the orginal TV show. Imagine Schindlers List the Musical. Thats what the movie was like compared to the TV show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

If it was anyone else but Denzel, it would have majorly sucked.

The Russian bad guy was a bit of a scene chewer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

watched it the other day, enjoyable fare.

Tbh from what i can remember of the original E, he looked about 90, while Denzel is getting on he still looks like he can kick your ass.

however he did seem to kill everyone a little too easy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

watched it the other day, enjoyable fare.

Tbh from what i can remember of the original E, he looked about 90, while Denzel is getting on he still looks like he can kick your ass.

however he did seem to kill everyone a little too easy

edward woodward was actually younger doing the equalizer series than denzel washington was making the film. By 5 years. woodward was only 55 when the series started. admittedly he did look older.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭batnolan

I think this type of action movie can only justify a 90 minute running time at most. I had had my action fix by the time the 2hrs and 10 mins were up!

Nice paycheck for Denzel no doubt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Gerry Rio

batnolan wrote: »

Nice paycheck for Denzel no doubt

$20 million a film (non negotiable) if the stories are true.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Chloë Grace Moretz... good god.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

wtf people are rumbling here,for 2h movie it was perfect,some scenes were overrated but in general its watchable movie.As for how real action and fighting ,compare movies like taken guy gets over across half globe in less then couple hours and by second day is killing 30 people in single day,totally real yeah. flight inside man just pure jewels,this might not win awards but still something better to watch,then another 99% of Hollywood trash movies made with handheld cameras.

• Advertisement

Chloë Grace Moretz... good god.

Yep, them early scenes with that lips and that cleavage. Dayum!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Yep, them early scenes with that lips and that cleavage. Dayum!

There's more meat on a butchers hook

Faith+1 wrote: »
    There's more meat on a butchers hook

Oh I agree. It looked like there was more though. :p

Just after watching this and it isn't half bad, it's 20 if not 30 minutes too long and takes an age to get up and going but when the **** hits the fan there's a clinical, cynical no bull**** approach to the violence which is refreshing. Blood is spilt by McCall with no remorse or moralizing and honestly there's something old fashioned and enjoyable about an antihero who gets **** done so efficiently. The story is threadbare and could be told in 42 minutes but it's nice to look at and Washington is good fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,077 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The story is threadbare and could be told in 2 minutes

FYP.
    Duffff-Man wrote: »
    He just ended up killing everyone.
    While watching it, i was fully expecting to watch him battle the bad guy, get shot a few times, kill the bad guy in the last second while saving other peoples lives, and die in the arms of either tubby security guy or Lipsntits Moretz. So i was pleasantly surprised when he didn't die. And, he's the Equalizer. He doesn't get that title (even if it wasn't mentioned at any stage) without being the baddest of the bad asses!

I liked it. Yeah, slightly too long, and i can probably draw an exact replica of Denzels eye from memory after watching it (no, no i can't), but it was entertaining none the less. I was expecting it to be a little more upbeat, but i think that's because the only other Equalizer i've seen was Arnie.

Enjoyable popcorn movie, and some good death scenes, with a little of modern day slow mo 'splosions and rain thrown in for good measure. Looking forward to a sequel, where i'm sure there'll be pointless flashbacks that no one cares about. I just hope there's more inventive killing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

FYP.

I was expecting it to be a little more upbeat, but i think that's because the only other Equalizer i've seen was Arnie.

......... what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,928 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Listening to discussion and reviews of No. 3 I'm wondering why does Denzel do these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭santana75

I went to see at earlier in the week and I really liked it. Denzel is great but it's insanely violent, not for the squeamish. Its basically the western "Shane" set in Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’ve only seen the first one and it had nothing to do with The Equaliser at all.

It is just Denzel doing Taken.

Advertisement