Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MBP 13" mid 2010 - upgrades

• 25-07-2012 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hiya,

My friend has a MBP on core 2 duo 2.4 Ghz and she's complaining its slow. Can you advise what Ram is compatibile with this model. I think it's 8 GB max and it's 1 slot only ?

Also what is the biggest HDD you can put in there ? I presume that 2.5" Sata 2 that fits in there ?

Cheerio!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I've a 2009 Macbook Pro and I installed an 60GB SSD and 4GB RAM. It runs quite smoothly now.

Crucial.eu has a memory scanner you can use. Their RAM is cheap too but 8GB should be more than enough unless she's into video editing or high-end gaming. 4GB is a minimum for today's apps I think.

Regarding a HDD, I'd recommend SSD for a real speed increase but the downside is it's expensive to purchase a high capacity drive. Your friend could always install the SSD in lieu of their optical drive and boot and run her apps off that drive. They could store their media and files on the HDD. You can get a decent sized SSD of 120GB-240GB for EUR100-250.

Both upgrades are simple enough upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭fresheire

Well I went for the following:

8GB Corsair 1066 Mhz (2x4GB) - 35 pounds on scan.co.uk

for HDD I picked the 750GB Western Digital WD7500BPKT 7200RPM

She also want's to get rid of the optical drive so we grabbed a ODD bay on amazon for 22 pounds and we do wonder of getting Seagate 500GB Momentus XT 2.5" Hybrid SSD/HDD SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache.

She mainly uses her laptop on her desk, so she might just get the external superdrive and with those 2 Hdds that gives plenty of storage and the hybrid could be for OS and software she's using. I was looking at SSDs but the big sizes are all Sata3 and I don't know if they will work at all or will the just get downgraded to Sata2 ?

Looking forward to replacing all that gear, I hope I wont breake her laptop :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭quad_red

The crucial mac scanner - bobs your uncle.

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/macos.aspx

Advertisement