Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson Ariva 250

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Also what does the 5/6 thing at the end mean? I see no option to enter that...

Sorry for all the posts but I cant figure this out...

If one of you saw that a channel had changed frequency and you had to sit down from scratch and change it, what would you do?

Nothing I try works and there's nothing in the manual. BBC 4 is channel 8 in my list. I go to channel 8, I go into menu, I go into TP List, I scroll down to 8 and change it to 10773 mhz, H, 22000 and save. Then I press the blue button to do a search and nothing happens, it just says no channels found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

corglass wrote: »
    Guys,

Is is possible to access media stored on my local network?

I can only access files on a USB stick. I cannot see the option for files on my local network.

thanks

Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Thargor wrote: »
    Sorry for all the posts but I cant figure this out...

If one of you saw that a channel had changed frequency and you had to sit down from scratch and change it, what would you do?

Nothing I try works and there's nothing in the manual. BBC 4 is channel 8 in my list. I go to channel 8, I go into menu, I go into TP List, I scroll down to 8 and change it to 10773 mhz, H, 22000 and save. Then I press the blue button to do a search and nothing happens, it just says no channels found.

You must not have updated your box in some time. BBCs moved around at end November.

You can only scan for BBC4 and BBC3 after 7pm in order to add to your list.
    corglass wrote: »
    Anyone?

The Internet based options are hardcoded into the proprietary Ali Software which is closed source. You cannot FTP into them. You are looking at a linux box if you need to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Well my new Ferguson Ariva 250 combo box arrived this afternoon in its shiny red box and I immediately disconnected the ageing Skybox and set it up.

I've been playing with it all evening and it looks like a grand bit of kit, but, try as I might, I can't get S4C on it :(.

Am I missing something obvious, or is S4C only available on a Sky box, please?

• Advertisement

Squatter wrote: »
    Well my new Ferguson Ariva 250 combo box arrived this afternoon in its shiny red box and I immediately disconnected the ageing Skybox and set it up.

I've been playing with it all evening and it looks like a grand bit of kit, but, try as I might, I can't get S4C on it :(.

Am I missing something obvious, or is S4C only available on a Sky box, please?

There is an option to manually scan channels rather than having to rescan the whole of Astra2 satellite again. Its called TP Scan on the Ariva. Go into that and enter the following values.

Freq: 12051
    Symbole Rate: 27500
    Polarisation: V

Click down to Search and it should find it and add to the bottom of your Astra 2 list. You can then add it to your favourite channel list.

12051 V

• Registered Users Posts: 41 anxie

Hi all.
    On my 250 channel list I have RTÉ 1 as 1 RTE 2 as 2 and the main UK channels next...
    Sometimes the Irish channels disappear and BBC is suddenly channel 1
    As mentioned earlier in this thread this is because the source has been amended and it is not looking at the aerial feed and it can be corrected by telling the STB to look at all sources
    # Menu > Edit Channels > TV Channel List > (select Astra 1, Astra 2A, DVB-T [All Channels] )

However, I have no idea why this happens from time to time and if there is a quicker way to instruct the STB to view all sources (All channels),
    On the 150 remote there was a button on the first row which achieved this.

Anyway, the reason it is such a pain is that it's not happening to me, but to my inlaws and I get 3 - 4 calls a week and you've no idea how long it takes to go through the few steps marked '#' above in order to fix it over the phone :(

anyone know how to disable whatever shortcut they keep hitting, or any quicker way to reset it to All Channels?

anxie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

anxie wrote: »

anyone know how to disable whatever shortcut they keep hitting, or any quicker way to reset it to All Channels?

anxie

Press the ok button to bring up the channel list and then use the right arrow button (next to the ok button) to change between lists. Astra 1 should not be selected in the satellite list unless they actually have a dish for viewing Astra 1 .

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Colmos85

Hey, Been months since I was on here and cant read through 20 pages but.. Does anyone know if there is restrictions for the HDD size for this box? I got a 2TB HDD, USB 3.0 and it doesn't even recognise it when its plugged in? maybe cause its USB 3.0?

Colmos85 wrote: »
    Hey, Been months since I was on here and cant read through 20 pages but.. Does anyone know if there is restrictions for the HDD size for this box? I got a 2TB HDD, USB 3.0 and it doesn't even recognise it when its plugged in? maybe cause its USB 3.0?

USB3 Drives are fine. I use one.

You might want to partition it to 750 and 1250. Did you try the front USB port instead of the back ? I am guessing that this 2TB drive doesnt have its own power supply.

• Advertisement

Ya ill make a partition on it. Im sure I have some software to do this and not lose data.. been a while though :)

Just going through the manual and see if I can find anything about it too. Will post results tomorrow.

STB wrote: »

You might want to partition it to 750 and 1250. Did you try the front USB port instead of the back ? I am guessing that this 2TB drive doesnt have its own power supply.

By the way its an external 3.5" with its own power supply. Just checked the manual for the 250 and it states :
    "The receiver supports all types of HDD in housings that are equipped with an independent power supply. The sole condition is that the hard disk has to have a single basic partition that is formatted in NTFS (recommended) or FAT32 system."

So I might try another 2TB Hard Disk and see if it recognises it first.

By the way its an external 3.5" with its own power supply. Just checked the manual for the 250 and it states :
    "The receiver supports all types of HDD in housings that are equipped with an independent power supply. The sole condition is that the hard disk has to have a single basic partition that is formatted in NTFS (recommended) or FAT32 system."

So I might try another 2TB Hard Disk and see if it recognises it first.

Yes but I have it in my head that the Ferguson has an issue with anything over 750g.

As you know hardware and usb device recognition can be iffy. Example, my Samsung TV recognises one USB3 drive but not the other!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 anxie

Tony wrote: »
    Press the ok button to bring up the channel list and then use the right arrow button (next to the ok button) to change between lists. Astra 1 should not be selected in the satellite list unless they actually have a dish for viewing Astra 1 .

Thanks Tony, I think that this must also be the way he keeps changing the source list also. cheers!

Theres a front USB port?

You must not have updated your box in some time. BBCs moved around at end November.

You can only scan for BBC4 and BBC3 after 7pm in order to add to your list.
    Never thanked you for that STB, Ill try next time Im home, doesnt explain why BBC News said there was nothing there though, thats 24/7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Theres a front USB port?
    Yes, front right hand side. The flap with "ARIVA 250 Combo" logo opens down from the top. The USB port is inside, to the left of the CAM slot.

I'd be surprised if it makes a difference in your case though. I hate utilizing the front USB. Untidy looking. It was the same on the Ariva 120. But that was easily relocated to the rear with a few small tools ;)

I tried another 2TB drive and it wont recognise it either. Not looking good for big drives now :( Disappointed about that but nothing I can do. Fortunately I have a 500GB drive I can use.
    Yes but I have it in my head that the Ferguson has an issue with anything over 750g.

As you know hardware and usb device recognition can be iffy. Example, my Samsung TV recognises one USB3 drive but not the other!

dodzy wrote: »
    Yes, front right hand side. The flap with "ARIVA 250 Combo" logo opens down from the top. The USB port is inside, to the left of the CAM slot.

I'd be surprised if it makes a difference in your case though. I hate utilizing the front USB. Untidy looking. It was the same on the Ariva 120. But that was easily relocated to the rear with a few small tools ;)
    Handy for dragging a film off the laptop and just shoving it in for 2 hours though, definitely better than unplugging the recording one and plugging it back in afterwards like we were doing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

I tried another 2TB drive and it wont recognise it either. Not looking good for big drives now :( Disappointed about that but nothing I can do. Fortunately I have a 500GB drive I can use.
    If thats the case, its not the end of the world really. A 500gig drive will record about 250hrs of SD TV. Full HD material would result in approx 85hrs on the same drive.

Or maybe your problem is that you want to use the Ariva as a "go between" to link an ext HDD already populated with content to play on a TV with no multimedia playback facility ?

• Advertisement

Yes Im using it as a "go between", have over 1TB data but will have to pick and choose fewer files for the 500GB drive now. :(
    dodzy wrote: »
    If thats the case, its not the end of the world really. A 500gig drive will record about 250hrs of SD TV. Full HD material would result in approx 85hrs on the same drive.

Or maybe your problem is that you want to use the Ariva as a "go between" to link an ext HDD already populated with content to play on a TV with no multimedia playback facility ?

Right Im back down at home and Ive tried 6 times to get BBC news to come back and same for BBC4, can someone please just tell me how to do it, BBC4 is channel 8 on my box and BBC news is channel 16.

I go to channel 8, I go into menu, I go into TP List, I scroll down to 8 and change it to 10773 mhz, H, 22000 and save. Then I press the blue button to do a search then it does a scan and just exits back out to BBC Alba which is what appeared in BBC4s slot when the frequency changed, can someone please say what they do to an Ariva 250 when they need to change the frequency of a channel?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭iba

Right Im back down at home and Ive tried 6 times to get BBC news to come back and same for BBC4, can someone please just tell me how to do it, BBC4 is channel 8 on my box and BBC news is channel 16.

I go to channel 8, I go into menu, I go into TP List, I scroll down to 8 and change it to 10773 mhz, H, 22000 and save. Then I press the blue button to do a search then it does a scan and just exits back out to BBC Alba which is what appeared in BBC4s slot when the frequency changed, can someone please say what they do to an Ariva 250 when they need to change the frequency of a channel?

Ignore this channell 8

go to astra sat and add in the new transponder

How do you mean go to Astra sat? Are we still in TP List here or somewhere else?

How do you mean go to Astra sat? Are we still in TP List here or somewhere else?

Go to menu

Satelite list

Then put a love heart beside Astra 28.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Press menu> goto to "installation".

Highlight "TP List"

Make sure you have selected Astra 2a at the top.

Press the green button, to "Add Transponder"

Freq 10818, Symbol rate 22000, Polarisation v,

Then "Search"

You will then have to add the channels found, which will be added to the end of the Astra 2A list, to your favourites.

Okay Ill give it a try thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭dubmark74

Hi, i'm looking for some help connecting my Ariva 250 to the Internet. I cannot get it connected either using cable or wireless. I had V1.19 and have upgraded to V1.21 but that does not work either. I tried switching DHCP ON but it says 'setting DHCP, press exit to cancel...', after a few minutes it just defaults to off. I assume DHCP has to be on. Am i missing something here. Any help appreciated.

dubmark74 wrote: »
    Hi, i'm looking for some help connecting my Ariva 250 to the Internet. I cannot get it connected either using cable or wireless. I had V1.19 and have upgraded to V1.21 but that does not work either. I tried switching DHCP ON but it says 'setting DHCP, press exit to cancel...', after a few minutes it just defaults to off. I assume DHCP has to be on. Am i missing something here. Any help appreciated.

I dont know the answer to your question, but I can confirm that my DHCP is on

In addition, I am connected by cable - as far as I know, the 250 does not have wireless capabilities unless you use a wi-fi dongle

• Advertisement

iba wrote: »
    I dont know the answer to your question, but I can confirm that my DHCP is on

In addition, I am connected by cable

Thanks, IBA. Does anyone know why the DHCP will not switch on. It was the same with the previous firmware version.

Thanks, IBA. Does anyone know why the DHCP will not switch on. It was the same with the previous firmware version.

Did you try to do it manually?

Go to Menu/Network Local Setting and then tun DHCP to ON

Is it possible to stream my TV pic to my laptop using the 250 and if so how do I do it please?

Thanks

Did you try to do it manually?

Go to Menu/Network Local Setting and then tun DHCP to ON

Yeh, this is the only way i know of. Is there an other way?

Thats the only way that I know - but thats the only way I know - sorry

So you turn it ON and then it just automatically turns itself OFF again after a few minutes/period of time?

So you turn it ON and then it just automatically turns itself OFF again after a few minutes/period of time?

A message appears saying 'setting DHCP...' then it switches to off after about two minutes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 gerkildare

I have two 250's, maincodes V1.18B6 and V1.19B1 - can anyone please tell me, if I update the firmware will the same patch work for both [and where can I get it/them]
    AND - IF I update, will I lose my channel list? [or any other similar screw up]

gerkildare wrote: »
    I have two 250's, maincodes V1.18B6 and V1.19B1 - can anyone please tell me, if I update the firmware will the same patch work for both [and where can I get it/them]
    AND - IF I update, will I lose my channel list? [or any other similar screw up]

Ferguson updates are here:

http://www.ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/HD-Satellite-Receivers/Ariva-250-Combo/

and it will work on both.

As far as I know, you will have to do a new channel list, but I stand to be corrected on that

As far as I know, you will have to do a new channel list, but I stand to be corrected on that

Yes, you will have to do a new channel list. One of the guys posted a channel file around christmas. Let me know if you cant find it.

Yes, you will have to do a new channel list. One of the guys posted a channel file around christmas. Let me know if you cant find it.

Sorry I dont know how to fix ur problem, hopefully someone else will know the answer

Probably Tony from Satelitte.ie posted a list

Thats the only way that I know - but thats the only way I know - sorry

Did you try inputting static ip addresses and DNS settings? Dont need dhcp on then.. use your laptop to get the ip range and set the last digits to something high or over 50. DNS setting can be the same as your router or gateway if it still dont work then you need to get DNS setting from your router or from ISP

• Advertisement

Go into the menu, set DHCP from off to on. Press the back button this will force the router to give it an IP address almost instantly. Now exit out of the menu, by pressing menu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Noticed a problem with the 250 recently. When I turn on from standby the picture is set off to one side of the tv screen, leaving a black strip about 5cm wide, it is usually cured by a hard reboot and doesn't happen every time.
    I'm wondering is something starting to fail as I'm getting close to being out of warranty.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Noticed a problem with the 250 recently. When I turn on from standby the picture is set off to one side of the tv screen, leaving a black strip about 5cm wide, it is usually cured by a hard reboot and doesn't happen every time.
    I'm wondering is something starting to fail as I'm getting close to being out of warranty.

IMO most warranties are not worth the paper they are written on. EG most warranties are only for one year but really electronic kit like TV, STB, PS3, AV Receivers should really last for at least 5 years plus. So if a piece of kit fails after the warranty, one can still argue that the piece of kit was not fit for purpose as it should be expected to last more than one year and the seller should replace it.

I know a person whose TV broke after 5 years and he brought it back to Currys and they replaced it on the basis that it should last more than 5 years

Is it possible to stream my TV pic to my laptop using the 250 and if so how do I do it please?

Thanks

No. Linux boxes can do this.

Did you try inputting static ip addresses and DNS settings? Dont need dhcp on then.. use your laptop to get the ip range and set the last digits to something high or over 50. DNS setting can be the same as your router or gateway if it still dont work then you need to get DNS setting from your router or from ISP

Only got a chance to look at this now. Tried static address but no joy. My settings are as below. Got the IP from the router, starts at 33. Any ideas? Thanks.

IP Address: 129.168.001.044
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.000
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Presferred: 000.000.000.000
    DNS Alternate: 000.000.000.000
    App Selected: NewCamd Client.

Only got a chance to look at this now. Tried static address but no joy. My settings are as below. Got the IP from the router, starts at 33. Any ideas? Thanks.

IP Address: 129.168.001.044
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.000
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1
    DNS Presferred: 000.000.000.000
    DNS Alternate: 000.000.000.000
    App Selected: NewCamd Client.

Mine are similiar for IP, Subnet & Gateway

But for DNS Preferred and Alternate, I have these fields populated.

Also, I dont know your particulars so I dont know if you should have NewCamd Client selected

Mine are similiar for IP, Subnet & Gateway

But for DNS Preferred and Alternate, I have these fields populated.

Also, I dont know your particulars so I dont know if you should have NewCamd Client selected

What have you got for DNS, Does it begin with 192.169.1. Is the App selected make a difference for internet connection. Thanks

What have you got for DNS, Does it begin with 192.169.1. Is the App selected make a difference for internet connection. Thanks

I cant really help you much coz Im no expert so I can only give u little bits of info and hope it helps u a bit

My DNS are 089.101.160.005 and 089.101.160.004

Yes maybe the app selected makes a difference, but I cant remember the name of the original app is.

Maybe your best bet is to do a Factory Reset and then update with the latest firmware

Looks like i fecked the box up. I changed some of the network settings and rebooted the box. Now it will not start and it displays ASH on the front. Anyone know what this means?

Looks like i fecked the box up. I changed some of the network settings and rebooted the box. Now it will not start and it displays ASH on the front. Anyone know what this means?

Dont worry, this can be fixed

I dont know off hand how to do it so google ariva ash issue.

But I do remember you will need a Null Cable (I think thats what its called) and you connect the ariva to ur PC and reload the Ferguson software

So dont worry, it can b fixed, just do a little googling -even google ariva ash issue boards.ie

• Advertisement
Advertisement