Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson Ariva 250

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

evening all , ive recently had my 250 combo go into ASH mode following a useless channel update that i got online , anyway i managed to resurrect it today using the null cable and its now back to life , only thing is i cant find an up to date patch firmware download to get her back on track so to speak !!!! anyone have anything recent and while im on the subject anyone got any new channel list to save me having to do everything by hand ?? the ariva boxes are mighty but a massive pain in the arse to update channels ...

cheers terry .

The ferguson website has all the official firmware versions for each box. If its patched firmware you want, then Google is your friend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

evening all , ive recently had my 250 combo go into ASH mode following a useless channel update that i got online , anyway i managed to resurrect it today using the null cable and its now back to life , only thing is i cant find an up to date patch firmware download to get her back on track so to speak !!!! anyone have anything recent and while im on the subject anyone got any new channel list to save me having to do everything by hand ?? the ariva boxes are mighty but a massive pain in the arse to update channels ...

cheers terry .

Patched Firmware is in my dropbox
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/necwijtkwzmaexi/AADorOkhhaqNRssJaMDji_YYa?dl=0

id always do you own updates with arriva boxs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,981 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Our Aertel channel has stopped working, not that its needed much but is that gone now?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭brownswiss

cheers terry .
    ... Hi Greendragon 3. You posted some time ago about zetor restoration. Looking for a bit of info please. I pm'd you but you may not have seen it and the old zetor thread is probably long dead.. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Hoping someone can help with this box. I'm at my wits end with it trying to schedule a recording. Has anyone else had issues with this?

Using the guide I navigate to the programme i want, press green timer button. This brings up the record menu. Next I change timer service to record, change offset so it begins and ends 5 minutes later and then press save.

BUT it seems no matter what options I select, it always brings up the error invalid input!Continue to edit?

I can see by the times that nothing is invalid so.I just don't get what's wrong. Anyone else experience this? This has been the case since day one with the box.

Is the time set right on the box?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

Thargor wrote: »
    Is the time set right on the box?

Yep, the time is correct

The only time I think I ever saw that was when it was clashing with some other timer setting, theres an option in one of the menus to bring up a list of all currently set timer events, can you see if you can find that and delete everything on it and try again?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

Yep, the time is correct

are you on the newest _1.31B2_patch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

Can anyone help with this issue?

I have an elderly relative who pressed a few wrong buttons on the remote of this box, and now it won't change channel. I have tried all the guides online to get the STB button to work, but it seems to be trying to change over on the TV instead of the remote (also not working - but not required).

Any idea how to get the remote to control the box again. Tried taking out the batteries, resetting the remote and various sequences recommend in other threads, I know the remote is working because the power light flashes when I press buttons.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Press the STB button on the remote

Kurn wrote: »
    Can anyone help with this issue?

I have an elderly relative who pressed a few wrong buttons on the remote of this box, and now it won't change channel. I have tried all the guides online to get the STB button to work, but it seems to be trying to change over on the TV instead of the remote (also not working - but not required).

Any idea how to get the remote to control the box again. Tried taking out the batteries, resetting the remote and various sequences recommend in other threads, I know the remote is working because the power light flashes when I press buttons.

Thanks

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Press the STB button on the remote

Thanks Tony, I stared at the button for hours, never thought of pressing it. Yes, first thing I tried LOL

No worries, a lot of people have been caught out on this . Its not the most logical designation , SAT would be a better option.

Thanks Tony, I stared at the button for hours, never thought of pressing it. Yes, first thing I tried LOL

No worries, a lot of people have been caught out on this . Its not the most logical designation , SAT would be a better option.

Thanks anyway, I just saw STB and 'assumed set top box'. Looks like a new box then! Or universal remote!

Actually satellite . ie have them so I'm going to order her a replacement and hope it works

Cool, you can also use the ariva 153 remote which is a lot simpler as it does not have the universal functions.

Thanks anyway, I just saw STB and 'assumed set top box'. Looks like a new box then! Or universal remote!

Actually satellite . ie have them so I'm going to order her a replacement and hope it works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi,

I've got an issue very similar to the above. Erderly relative who has two Arriva 250 boxes. She says niether remote control is functioning or causing any repsonse from either TV or the box. Batteries have been replaced.

I can't believe that either remote control is broken - as like most elderly people she is quite careful with these things.

I'm thinking that if her observations are correct that it has somehow lost sync with the box - is this possible and if so how do you correct it?

Alternatively, what could be the cause for this - I don't want to sheel out for additional remote controls if she doesn't need them.
    She is currently changing the channel using the manual controls on from of the box.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Hi,

I've got an issue very similar to the above. Erderly relative who has two Arriva 250 boxes. She says niether remote control is functioning or causing any repsonse from either TV or the box. Batteries have been replaced.

I can't believe that either remote control is broken - as like most elderly people she is quite careful with these things.

I'm thinking that if her observations are correct that it has somehow lost sync with the box - is this possible and if so how do you correct it?

Alternatively, what could be the cause for this - I don't want to sheel out for additional remote controls if she doesn't need them.
    She is currently changing the channel using the manual controls on from of the box.

Thanks.

Could it be as simple as just needing to press the "stb" button at the top right of the remote?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

I replaced the supplied remote with a universal learning remote bought off ebay. I programmed it so the power button works the TV and volume is TV while channel up down is the ferguson box. It works great and far less support issues. I went for the Universal remote control Seki Slim, it has only 6 buttons and takes ordinary batteries. Setting it up is not too hard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Avns1s wrote: »
    Could it be as simple as just needing to press the "stb" button at the top right of the remote?

Yes! :pac:

She was a bit miffed when I turned up at her house today and both of them worked without a problem!

Saved her nearly £30 for another 'non-working' remote!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

Does anyone have a TV that works with HDMI CEC to turn the TV on and off? I bought my old dear an arriva 253 and it still confuses her that the TV and Box need to be turned on separately. CEC from her Samsung TV only turns the box off, not on again. Am prepared to replace the telly with one that actually works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭decor58

Have a Sony kdl40cx which does on and off, it's about 5 years old now, don't know how more recent ones compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭IsMiseJoe

Thinking of getting one of these boxes for the parents house.

They currently have a Triax TSC 114 which is on the blink.
    They get Saorview channels & UK channels. The Triax box is currently hooked up with a two cables coming from the attic, one going into LNB IN slot and the other into RF IN.

If I get the Ferguson Ariva 250 will it just be a case of plugging these cables into the new box, tune it up and away I go?
    Don't want to pay someone to do something that can be easily done by myself.

Edit: It's actually the Ferguson Ariva 253 combo receiver I'm looking at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

IsMiseJoe wrote: »
    Thinking of getting one of these boxes for the parents house.

They currently have a Triax TSC 114 which is on the blink.
    They get Saorview channels & UK channels. The Triax box is currently hooked up with a two cables coming from the attic, one going into LNB IN slot and the other into RF IN.

If I get the Ferguson Ariva 250 will it just be a case of plugging these cables into the new box, tune it up and away I go?
    Don't want to pay someone to do something that can be easily done by myself.

Edit: It's actually the Ferguson Ariva 253 combo receiver I'm looking at.

The main issue is that unless it is tuned in advancem you end up with hundreds of duplicates and not working channels. You will need to manually delete the ones you do not need. If you have done this before then it is not an issue, but if you have not it may take a couple of hours and you may end up missing some channels you had before.

When you say their current box is on the blink are you sure you do not have a dish or antenna problem?

zg3409 wrote: »
    The main issue is that unless it is tuned in advancem you end up with hundreds of duplicates and not working channels. You will need to manually delete the ones you do not need. If you have done this before then it is not an issue, but if you have not it may take a couple of hours and you may end up missing some channels you had before.

When you say their current box is on the blink are you sure you do not have a dish or antenna problem?

I don't mind the deleting the duplicates etc. I just want to make sure it will work before buying it?

The problem with the box is software related I think. Keeps freezing, fails to record shows which are set. I updated the software a few weeks ago and re-tuned all the channels etc, but no joy.

The 253 and 153 both work with CEC on the newer TV's and in some cases older tv's too depending on the model. Many retailers will pre programme the satellite channel list for you so if your dish and aerial are working ok you should be able to install yourself.

• Advertisement

This is the one I'm thinking of buying.
    ferguson ariva 253 combo receiver

Anyone bought from these guys before? (satworld.ie)

Satworld are a reputable company who have been around a long time , you might just check though if they offer a pre programme option for satellite channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

This is the one I'm thinking of buying.
    ferguson ariva 253 combo receiver

Anyone bought from these guys before? (satworld.ie)

Have a look at

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Ariva-153-combo-box-Free-to-air-HD-Freesat-and-Saorview-Ariva153Combo.html#SID=1

€100 including delivery with boards.ie coupon code.

Great guys to deal with too. Their support is second to none...

Heres a link to ferguson site showing differences between models http://ferguson-digital.eu/en/satellite-tv-decoders/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Heres a link to ferguson site showing differences between models http://ferguson-digital.eu/en/satellite-tv-decoders/

That comparison would indicate the 153 has no ethernet connection, but the pic and text on Freetv.ie indicates it does have an RJ45.

Can you clarify? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Yes the 153 does have an RJ45, only differences as far as I know is the card reader set up which is irrelevant if you are using it for free channels only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes the 153 does have an RJ45, only differences as far as I know is the card reader set up which is irrelevant if you are using it for free channels only.

Thanks ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 phil49

Has anyone had a problem with subtitles on this box (Ferguson 250).The subtitles are perfect on BBC and Itv but when these shows are transmitted on RTE they are nearly nonexistant although RTE claims they do transmit them.BTW subtitles on RTE's own shows are ok

The 250 seems to be a bit patchy with modern video files these days, does anyone know a specific resolution or codec I could encode a file with to guarantee it plays?

What version of firmware is on it?

I run a 250 on V31B2 and it seems ok.

I havent updated since I bought it for the parents back at the Saorview switchover, do they release new codecs or the ability to play new codecs etc in the newer firmwares?

What are the advantages of upgrading the firmware by the way? Has it changed the interface over the years or anything like that?

To be honest its perfect for them as is apart from this one little issue.

I havent updated since I bought it for the parents back at the Saorview switchover, do they release new codecs or the ability to play new codecs etc in the newer firmwares?

What are the advantages of upgrading the firmware by the way? Has it changed the interface over the years or anything like that?

To be honest its perfect for them as is apart from this one little issue.

Download the latest firmware V31B2 from here http://ferguson-digital.eu/en/download/download-satellite-tv/ and install it. It should solve your problem. The interface has only changed very slightly.
    You will have to rescan your satellite and terrestrial channels after installing.

Interesting thanks, Ill give it a try.

Hi Tony,
    Just bought the Ferguson 153 combo from you and received it today. Just wondering should I update the firmware?

Hi Joe,
    This is actually the 250 combo thread but same info applies :-)
    Answer is no as it will have the latest stable firmware already, firmware should only be updated if there's a particular issue that's needs to be addressed . Updating will also clear your channel list unless you use a file that already has a channel list built in.

Hi Tony,
    Just bought the Ferguson 153 combo from you and received it today. Just wondering should I update the firmware?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭king2

The front display on my 250 has stopped working. What might have caused this anyone know?

Im getting a lot of stuttering on Saorview channels especially RTE 1, not an aerial problem as far as I can see, its more like when you try to watch a very HD video on a pc that doesnt have the specs to handle it, that kind of stutter. Turning the box on and off will fix it for a while but then it will start again another night, any clue what it might be? Satellite channels are perfect. Live pause/rewind is turned off so I doubt its a hdd issue...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Im getting a lot of stuttering on Saorview channels especially RTE 1, not an aerial problem as far as I can see, its more like when you try to watch a very HD video on a pc that doesnt have the specs to handle it, that kind of stutter. Turning the box on and off will fix it for a while but then it will start again another night, any clue what it might be? Satellite channels are perfect. Live pause/rewind is turned off so I doubt its a hdd issue...
    Same issue with my mum's 150 today thought it was time for a new firmware but might be something else so.

check the signal quality by pressing the white button on the remote control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

check the signal quality by pressing the white button on the remote control

Signal was normally c.90% quality and strength but both dip to only c.60% when glitching, swapped box with a spare and no issues with signal as strength 90+% on both.
    I had a dvbt tuner fail in a ferguson before so maybe symptomatic of the terrestrial tuner on the way out?

Does seem to point to a tuner issue unfortunately

I had a dvbt tuner fail in a ferguson before so maybe symptomatic of the terrestrial tuner on the way out?

Ah crap, hope thats not the case. Is there anywhere still selling 250s these days?

No it was replaced by the 252 and subsequently the 253 some time ago.

Ah crap, hope thats not the case. Is there anywhere still selling 250s these days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

@ Thargor. Try the latest firmware for the 250

Sometimes it may become corrupt.

• Advertisement

Thanks STB, that will be the nuclear option if it gets any worse, well buying a 253 will be the nuclear option I suppose.

Advertisement