Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fees for A & E in New York City

Options
  • 25-07-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I'm currently on a J1 Visa for the summer in New York with CIEE.

I have recently hurt my foot, and think that at best, I have sprained it, and at worst I've broken it, I don't know. It's been a week with no obvious improvement and I think I might need to go to hospital. If it's sprained would there be any point?

In any case, how much would I be looking at for A & E admission? I also have insurance with Mapfre, which I think might cover me.

If they do, do I go to the hospital first and then make a claim, or alert them beforehand? I really can't afford big hospital bills at the moment.Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Hi, I'm currently on a J1 Visa for the summer in New York with CIEE.

I have recently hurt my foot, and think that at best, I have sprained it, and at worst I've broken it, I don't know. It's been a week with no obvious improvement and I think I might need to go to hospital. If it's sprained would there be any point?

In any case, how much would I be looking at for A & E admission? I also have insurance with Mapfre, which I think might cover me.

If they do, do I go to the hospital first and then make a claim, or alert them beforehand? I really can't afford big hospital bills at the moment.Thanks

Even a simple scan etc would be big big money - hopefully your insurance will cover you but you will need to check your policy first

AFAIK they will check your coverage before even admitting you

Rotten luck

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Even a simple scan etc would be big big money - hopefully your insurance will cover you but you will need to check your policy first

AFAIK they will check your coverage before even admitting you

Rotten luck

I was thinking it wouldn't be pretty, I went in to ask, hoping they could tell me a figure, like back home it's 100, but she said I'd have to see Doctor, then I would get bill, which I really don't want to do. I will check policy and hopefully be covered but even then, I'll probably still have to pay out until they refund me. Anyway thanks for quick reply :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Ring your insurance company and see what you have to pay.

I dislocated my finger playing basketball a couple of months ago. I went to the ER to get it reset. I was in ER for no more than 90mins and got two Xrays.

I got the bill a couple of weeks later, i only had to pay $150 copay but the entire bill was $4,000 which insurance had to pay...insane.

You could go to your GP/PCP instead of ER which would be cheaper. Your GP will most likely refer you to get an xray even if they are 99% sure its only a sprain but that would be cheaper than going to ER straight off, if you did have to pay the full bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

It doesn't sound like a true emergency- if you go to Urgent Care it should be significantly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Talk to your insurance company first - they'll have a recommendation of where to go (as they'll deal with specific providers etc)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

Go to an Urgent Care or Express Care place they're usually way cheaper. I had to get an xray on my ankle a year ago or so and it only came to 300ish, my insurance covered it so I only paid my deductible of 30.

Advertisement