Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exploring childcare options

Options
  • 25-07-2012 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭

Hi just wondering when did / do new mums and dads to be, start exploring childcare options? Any hints or tips on starting the process. And could people give me an idea of the likely cost. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭okiss

I would start to look once the child is a month old. One of my friends lives in a rural area. They were looking for a childminder but could not find any one suitable in there area or on the way to work. They got a place for the baby in a local creche and it is working out well for them.
    I would contact the local hse office and ask for a list of registered child minders in your area along with a list of creches. I would then start to meet these people as soon as possible. The hse have rules re the number of children and ages of children which can be minded by both childminder and in creche so you my find it hard to get a place for a very small baby.
    I would start to ask around friends, family and relations as they may know someone who would be looking for this type of work. I would call into as many places as possible so you can see what is out there. Some places are far better than others. Do you know anyone else who is looking for a childminder as you may be able to employ some one between you both if this suit you?
    I would not be able to give you cost as it depends what you are looking for and also what part of the country you live in. Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

okiss wrote: »
    I would start to look once the child is a month old. One of my friends lives in a rural area. They were looking for a childminder but could not find any one suitable in there area or on the way to work. They got a place for the baby in a local creche and it is working out well for them.
    I would contact the local hse office and ask for a list of registered child minders in your area along with a list of creches. I would then start to meet these people as soon as possible. The hse have rules re the number of children and ages of children which can be minded by both childminder and in creche so you my find it hard to get a place for a very small baby.
    I would start to ask around friends, family and relations as they may know someone who would be looking for this type of work. I would call into as many places as possible so you can see what is out there. Some places are far better than others. Do you know anyone else who is looking for a childminder as you may be able to employ some one between you both if this suit you?
    I would not be able to give you cost as it depends what you are looking for and also what part of the country you live in. Good Luck

Thanks for that lengthy reply! I'm in Dublin so would ideally prefer a childminder in Dublin 8 or D7.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I started looking before she was born :)
    I had to weigh up the options crèche v childminder and near home or work.
    Childminding.ie might help you with a childminder search,and just ring the crèches to make appointments for visits.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

Moonbeam wrote: »
    I started looking before she was born :)
    I had to weigh up the options crèche v childminder and near home or work.
    Childminding.ie might help you with a childminder search,and just ring the crèches to make appointments for visits.

Thanks, do you mind me asking which option you went for? and did you choose near home or work? Also what kind of costs did you discover?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I choose a crèche because they are well regulated and I did not really know anyone where I lived to recommend a childminder.
    I choose near work because she would be near me all day and if there was an issue I could get to her.
    Crèches came in anything from 800 to 1100 pm full time and 600 - 800 for a 3 day week.
    I am a childminder now though due to having a 2nd and the insane cost of 2 in the crèche.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

We have a fantastic creche in our development which our friends recommended. I rang them when I was 4 months pregnant and asked them to provisionally keep us a place as it would be our 1st choice if all went well. I then called in when our son was 5 weeks and paid a deposit.

I think it's a tough decision and initially I'd have preferred a child-minder but now I see how much my son learns, how active he is all day, how he's made lots of little friends etc and I'm glad he's in a crèche. I'll qualify that by saying our crèche is great so we're very lucky. Not all crèches are as good.

Speak to friends and mums in the area and get recommendations for childcare options.

I'd also say closer to home is better especially if you live in Dublin. If something happens that you need to take your child home you're centrally located so it won't take that long. If you have to take a day off work for appointments or you're sick etc you can still use the crèche. If its closer to work it's not convenient when you're off.

Advertisement