Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens Olympic Football Megathread (Super, me arse)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Is the Brazil game on tv?

BBC red button.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭BKC

flyswatter wrote: »
    So there are 4 European teams in this?

Belarus, Spain, Switzerland, and Great Britain.

Great Britain took Czech Republic's place (4th) as they are hosts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Terrible tackle on Bellamy, should have been a penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Are these on nething outside of BBC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Are these on nething outside of BBC

Eurosport, and RTE player

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That was great work by Ramsey

1-1!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

What a ball

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Commentators spot on, stupid playing a short corner with two centre-backs in the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Been a poor game...but 2 good finishes for the goals.

the senegalese do like a tackle!..should have had one sent off at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Giggs has been pretty woeful for GB tonight.

Should have been the winner for Team GB

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

For me football intelligence in GB exposed again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Officials eyesight works when it suits them

So the refs thing is that rather than give anyone a 2nd yellow he'll just pretend nothing happened each time? Genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Giggs was awful again tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

GB were lucky to get away with a point but the ref was shocking really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I know its football but i thought it was a disgrace and not in the spirit of the Olympics of the GB (Manchester) crowed booing Liverpool players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I know its football but i thought it was a disgrace and not in the spirit of the Olympics of the GB (Manchester) crowed booing Liverpool players

The exact same thing would happen to Giggs and Cleverley if that match was held in Anfield.

Oh and there was only one Liverpool player out there and it was Bellamy. He was a City player as well for a while so he was always going to get a bit of booing at a game in Old Trafford. I highly doubt that too many fans from outside Manchester travelled to this so a good lot of them were probably United fans.

The exact same thing would happen to Giggs and Cleverley if that match was held in Anfield.

Oh and there was only one Liverpool player out there and it was Bellamy. He was a City player as well for a while so he was always going to get a bit of booing at a game in Old Trafford. I highly doubt that too many fans from outside Manchester travelled to this so a good lot of them were probably United fans.

Coates and Suarez also in the Uruguay game.

• Advertisement

BKC wrote: »
    Coates and Suarez also in the Uruguay game.

Didn't realise that was on there. Bit stupid having two games there in the one day. Heavy enough on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

The 'spirit' has been long gone once the professional players were allowed to play in Olympics. I may be in the minority but it doesn't seem right. Football has many other mediums, league, cups, champions league, world club championship etc etc. It doesn't need to have the same type of players playing in the Olympics.

Corholio wrote: »

The 'spirit' has been long gone once the professional players were allowed to play in Olympics. I may be in the minority but it doesn't seem right. Football has many other mediums, league, cups, champions league, world club championship etc etc. It doesn't need to have the same type of players playing in the Olympics.
    Yep , should be all amateur like the rest. Usain bolt works down the mines Mon-Fri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sugar plantation Shirley?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

the welsh players did really well for GB, if bale decided to play it would have been a big bonus for them. UAE are quite decent and GB will have no easy game against them. GB were denied a stonewall penalty but overall they didnt do enough to win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

mike65 wrote: »
    16 teams 4 groups of 4, top two qualify for knock out stages.

Group A GBR/SEN/UAE/URU
    Group B MEX/KOR/GAB/SUI
    Group C BRA/EGY/BLR/NZL
    Group D ESP/JPN/HON/MAR

First round of games Thursday 26th, all can be seen on the BBC/red button or on SKY platform.

Honduras–Morocco (Glasgow, 12.00)
    Mexico–Korea Republic (Newcastle, 14.30)
    Spain–Japan (Glasgow, 14.45)
    United Arab Emirates–Uruguay (Manchester, 17.00)
    Gabon–Switzerland (Newcastle, 17.15)
    Belarus–New Zealand (Coventry, 19.45)
    Brazil–Egypt (Cardiff, 19.45)
    Great Britain–Senegal (Manchester, 20.00)

Spain v Japan looks like the pick with Brazil v Egypt a close second.

Some real heavy weights in there.
    How does Oylmpic qualification work ?
    G.K. wrote: »
    Gutted to be missing most of these - I'm visiting the University of Leicester.

Remember to pick up a few bags of crisps.
    Oatesy23 wrote: »
    The Koreans have a pretty good side for the tournament. I'm looking forward to watching them, Kim Bo-Kyung and Koo Ja-Cheol in particular.

Careful now.
    Would they be North or South Koreans ?
    You don't want to start a diplomatic incident. ;)
    Corholio wrote: »

Ehh the cra* about the Oylmpics being amateur died out years ago.

They have just pi***d all over it since the likes of the US dream team and now having the highest paid professional sports people in the world competing just makes it's ideals a bunch of cr**.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

jmayo wrote: »
    Some real heavy weights in there.
    How does Oylmpic qualification work ?

Some confederations had specific Olympic qualifying events, other such as UEFA combined the finals of a recent underage championship with qualification for this.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_at_the_2012_Summer_Olympics_%E2%80%93_Men%27s_tournament#Qualifying

Just to put the record straight..Bellamy was not booed by the Old Trafford crowd...they were booing when a part of the ground didnt participate in a mexican wave that was going around.

markie29 wrote: »
    Just to put the record straight..Bellamy was not booed by the Old Trafford crowd...they were booing when a part of the ground didnt participate in a mexican wave that was going around.

But they booed the crap out of Suarez!

• Advertisement

I'm surprised that Germany aren't here. Even more surprised that they didn't make the u-21 Championships that served as the qualifiers.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    But they booed the crap out of Suarez!

yeah they did which was always going to happen...he will get booed no matter what stadium uruguay play in these Olympics i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm surprised that Germany aren't here. Even more surprised that they didn't make the u-21 Championships that served as the qualifiers.

Its an incredibly difficult qualification systemfor the EuroU21s with only 7 qualifiers and even winning the initial group only getting you into a playoff.
    Germany were one of the disappointments though, only finishing third in their group.

Holland were probably the biggest hardluck story, winning their initial group ahead of Spain but unaccountably going 3-0 down at home to Ukraine in the playoff before getting the tie back to 3-3 in Kiev but losing on away goals.
    I saw both games on some satellite station and Holland were streets ahead, just two freaky games where they never got a break.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_UEFA_European_Under-21_Football_Championship_qualification

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

markie29 wrote: »

Even though he was booed before the 1st Mexican waved started in the 1st 5 mins of the game

:eek:

Egypt have been peppering NZ with shots and they've just missed a sitter. Your man will kick himself! Everyone wants to be the hero.

Frantically exciting stuff!

Egypt had 28 shots opposed to NZ's 4!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭CrabieCrawford

any word on mexicos starting lineup?

• Advertisement

any word on mexicos starting lineup?

Mexico XI: Corona; Chávez, Mier, Reyes, Vidrio, Salcido; Herrera, Ponce, Aquino; Fabián, Peralta.

And a 6.0 magnitude earthquake has hit Mexico. Came up while I was searching for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Anyone know what channel (if any) Brazil-Belarus is on? Can't see anything on FlashSportSteams.

Vokes wrote: »
    Anyone know what channel (if any) Brazil-Belarus is on? Can't see anything on FlashSportSteams.

BBC red button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Quality goal by Belarus

Brazil find themselves one down to Belarus after 7 minutes! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Lovely buildup for that Belarus goal. Should make the game interesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Where are you all watching the football?

Where are you all watching the football?

BBC red button

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

BBC fail.

Ay-hc0VCMAENl9Q.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Brilliant cross! Brazil 1 -1 Belarus

1-1! Pato!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

-Ade- wrote: »
    BBC fail.

y-hc0VCMAENl9Q.jpg

They did that yesterday too for the GB goal against Cameroon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Belarus aren't half bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I cannot warm to Marcello. Very good player but I just don't like him.

All the Belarus players look over 23!

• Advertisement
Advertisement