Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mens Olympic Football Megathread (Super, me arse)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Tox56 wrote: »
    How much do you know about cycling, did you see the two races today and yesterday?

I am able to cycle a bike, therefore I feel I know a bit about it.

No, I did not see the race yesterday. I was out cutting the grass.

I missed todays race because I was up in Thurles at the hurling.

From what I've read and heard their attitude was pretty poor. Whining instead of winning.

I sound a bit patronising there, but as this is off topic, all I'll say is the claim "no other countries helped us" isnt as absurd as it sounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

I sound a bit patronising there, but as this is off topic, all I'll say is the claim "no other countries helped us" isnt as absurd as it sounds.

Cavendish has always been a hot head anyway. His reaction to the reporter yesterday stunk of sore loser.

Spain were a disgrace tonight, taking out their own failings to kill the game out on the referee. The great and the ugly of Spain in the space of about a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Right, I'll take your word for it.

Back to the football. GB have a massive game against Uruguay coming up on Wednesday. If Cavani and Suarez can find a bit of form then they could well win that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Annoyed I missed some shock results today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Just Google Mark Cavendish and you'll find out. Him and the rest of the cycling team were basically giving out that no one helped them to win the gold medal. The other countries were too negative and didn't want him to win.

In normal racing the teams in the peleton would work together to catch a breakaway. This didnt happen in the Olympic cycling because all the other teams wanted the GB team to catch the breakaway themselves then attack themselves when the breakaway was reeled in. When the rest of the Peleton copped on that 4 lads couldnt do it on their own they started to ride at the front but it was too late.

If you asked the Germans, Dutch, Australians, French and Italians today if they got it wrong and should have helped, they would say yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭titan18

In normal racing the teams in the peleton would work together to catch a breakaway. This didnt happen in the Olympic cycling because all the other teams wanted the GB team to catch the breakaway themselves then attack themselves when the breakaway was reeled in. When the rest of the Peleton copped on that 4 lads couldnt do it on their own they started to ride at the front but it was too late.

If you asked the Germans, Dutch, Australians, French and Italians today if they got it wrong and should have helped, they would say yes.

Tbf, in hindsight they're always going to say that but the Dutch had Boom and Gesink in the break, Australia had O'Grady, the French had Chavanel and the Italians had Paolini and Nibali. The Dutch,French and Italians had a better chance in the break than helping to bring it back in, the Australians was probably about equal as Goss isn't a certainty for a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

BKC wrote: »
    Yeah, I was just throwing that out there. I know what you're saying. Perfect example: Roger Federer. Wins with respect, loses with dignity. Classy sportsman.

Fed was no stranger to throwing a strop when he was the same age as most of these guys. He did mellow out a lot with age though - sort of, and even then he wasn't averse to giving the officials some abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Fed was no stranger to throwing a strop when he was the same age as most of these guys. He did mellow out a lot with age though - sort of, and even then he wasn't averse to giving the officials some abuse.

Thought Nadal went out of Wimbeldon with grace too this year.

it was a heated match and there was even some jostling when they changed ends but when he lost Nadal went and picked up his opponents racket which was thrown away in the immediate celebration, handed it back to him and shook his hand.

Maybe it's harder to feel as hard done by in individual sports though, all the high points are down to you, as are all the low points. There's a lot of opportunities to whinge in team sports.

Didn't see the match but I hope Spain at least acted with good grace once the final whistle had gone. It's tough playing out a football game when you're losing and can't catch a break and it doesn't bring out the best in everyone (including me). However, disrespect for the ref isn't called for but football only has itself to blame for that one.

I know refs act under directives but it should go 'you curse at me or speak to me i an agressive tone and I'm booking you, you touch me and I'm sending you off'. People go on about the difference between football and rugby in terms of sportsmanship but in reality they happily punch each other in rugby and god knows what goes onin the scrum - the only difference is that they show the ref respect because the ref demands it. Fcuk ad campaigns and crests on shirts, the refs should go out demanding repsect and clearly punishing any transgressions of this - then football would appear as rugby does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

1-0 to Brazil -v- New Zealand. Danilo, after great play from Damiao.

Brazil are playing some great football.

EDIT: They're playing some brilliant football. Carving NZ apart. They all seem to have a great understanding, as evidenced by that back heel from Marcelo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

Damiao, 2-0 now. Great build with a simple finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Ya got to wonder, in 2 years time alot of these players will be in the WC squad mixed with the over aged players, this Brazil team on home soil will be in with an excellent shout to win the WC.

Forgot Neymar was even playing until just there now.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ya got to wonder, in 2 years time alot of these players will be in the WC squad mixed with the over aged players, this Brazil team on home soil will be in with an excellent shout to win the WC.

I hope for their own sake that they've learnt from the 1950 debacle. If they can deal with the incredible pressure that they'll be under then they have a brilliant chance of winning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Brazil are an absolute joy to watch. Superb football on show. NZ look very flat footed. All too easy.

Some baps on that Brazilian one. The "Brazil 2014 politically incorrect" thread will cause the whole internet to crash I think.

Neymar just missed a sitter!

Great skill Damiao!

Great stuff from the referee. He booked one of the Brazilian players for diving.

What was Adrien (sp?) doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

#TeamGB: Butland; Taylor, Richards, Caulker, Bertrand; Ramsey, Allen, Cleverley; Bellamy, Sturridge, Sinclair.

Uruguay:-

Campana; Arias, Coates, Rolin, Aguirregaray; Ramirez, Rodriguez, Viudez, Arevalo; Cavani, Suarez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Garth Crooks is an embarresment, did anyone hear his answer on Great Britain and if they could enter again

Apparently they dont play as in this country (this country is England, its team GB) is because of too much games

BUT Garth being paid to talk about football and being a bastion of knowledge says they might be able to qualify though an under 21 tournament as he heard Spain (from Jonathon Pearce, no research for Garth) did it that way(Yes Garth that how European teams qualify). Again the problem Garth is that ENGLAND play in under 21 tournaments and its, yes team GREAT BRITAIN!

How do they hire these jokers! He has zero knowledge of football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Suarez getting booed DURING the uruguayan national anthem. You stay classy British public!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

naughtb4 wrote: »

He was a professional footballer, he does have knowledge of football.

Not doing his homework on the way quaification for things like th Olympics is a different matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

what station or link is the uruguay game on lads? please and thanks

He was a professional footballer, he does have knowledge of football.

Not doing his homework on the way quaification for things like th Olympics is a different matter.

As much as you or I?

maybe i was a little over the top, but its just lazy

Good decision not to start Giggs think he has been poor so far

Booing of Suarez is pathetic (think spirit of the games was mentioned), hope he scores

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Big Knox wrote: »
    Suarez getting booed DURING the uruguayan national anthem. You stay classy British public!! :rolleyes:

No, they just know a cheat when they see one. ;)

What a joke of a player, brings shame on whatever team he plays for

Where is Lawrenson, sound is way off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

So of course, the rational thing to do is to boo during his team's national anthem?

Classy Seargent.

• Advertisement

Big Knox wrote: »

Its just cultural differences. Its actually a term of affection ( see below )

Source ( Scroll to the bottom of the page )

Boo:- "term of affection or endearment for any close friend or family member.
    I love my boo!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I don't know, where I'm from the shame in this scenario rests with THOSE DOING THE BOOING

Figured you wouldn't take this post on board if your font preferences were absent.

Knex. wrote: »
    So of course, the rational thing to do is to boo during his team's national anthem?

Classy Seargent.

National anthems should be banned.
    As should anything that encourages the division of mankind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

No way! I love the Italian national anthem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Garth Crooks is an embarresment, did anyone hear his answer on Great Britain and if they could enter again

Apparently they dont play as in this country (this country is England, its team GB) is because of too much games

BUT Garth being paid to talk about football and being a bastion of knowledge says they might be able to qualify though an under 21 tournament as he heard Spain (from Jonathon Pearce, no research for Garth) did it that way(Yes Garth that how European teams qualify). Again the problem Garth is that ENGLAND play in under 21 tournaments and its, yes team GREAT BRITAIN!

It was bizarre stuff. "We play so many games that we'd struggle to find the time for another set of qualifiers, if only there was a way to qualify via some underage tournament"

I'm nerdy when it comes to knowing the ins and outs of qualifications, but I would have thought knowing how everyone qualified, who was impressive and who squeaked in would have been basic research for the BBC football team for this tournament.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I really don't like Suarez. Something about him.

• Advertisement

Ahem.
    No, they just know a cheat when they see one. wink.gif

Did you just call for your own banning?

;)

[/B]
    Ahem.

No, Suraez clearly isnt human

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

[/B]
    Ahem.

;)

Repeated feeding should be a banning.;)

No, Suraez clearly isnt human rattus ex facie

rattus as in rat? :pac:

Nice play from Allen.

Might even have sneaked in if Sturridge had not got a touch.

Could swear Jonathon Pearse said "Savage" scored it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

These Uruguayans are muck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Nice goal and no better time to score it! Uraguay need a massive turn around, highly doubt it

Rubbish defending from Uruguay. Really shaky at the back.

Who scored lads? I'm stuck at work :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sturridge may have found his level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Who scored lads? I'm stuck at work :(

Tap in by sturridge, nice turn around by allen to provide the assist. Calls of off-side, but there's no offside technology to show and rubbish camera angles

Tap in by sturridge, nice turn around by allen to provide the assist. Calls of off-side, but there's no offside technology to show and rubbish camera angles

Much appreciated. :)

Congratulations to the Welsh fans according to the BBC they didnt boo the English anthem, shame about the Uruguayan anthem :S

Classic bit of goal poaching from a Chelsea star. Took a chance, got himself into the box.
    Him and Torres to rip it up next season :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Guardian description

45 min +1: GOAL!!! Great Britain 1-0 Uruguay (Sturridge)

This is lovely. Allen bursts into the area after a superlative sliderule pass down the inside-left from his Swansea team-mate Sinclair. He traps, takes an immediate turn back, then rolls the ball into the centre, threading it through a tangle of four white shirts, and to the feet of Sturridge, who pokes home from a couple of yards. That was superb work by Allen.

15 million is now 20 million.

• Advertisement
Advertisement