Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car warranty not being upheld

Options
  • 25-07-2012 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Hi,

My sister bought a 2nd hand car off a garage 3 months ago with a 6 month warranty. The timing belt has gone - the garage is saying they have been taken over and nothing they can do - even though its clear they havent - what should she do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Carriexx wrote: »
    Hi,

My sister bought a 2nd hand car off a garage 3 months ago with a 6 month warranty. The timing belt has gone - the garage is saying they have been taken over and nothing they can do - even though its clear they havent - what should she do?

So same company then? They must honour it under consumer law. You made a contract with the company which is still there (i am presuming) and they must honour it.

Are they a SIMI member?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Is the timing belt covered by the warranty? That'd be a wear and tear item I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

were you told the timing belt was done when you bought the car.

these 2nd hand warranties generally cover the engine and gearbox.
    The SIMI would be able to advise you even if they are not members.http://www.simi.ie/Find+a+Member.html

Alternatively there is the national consumer authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Carriexx

When she called the garage yesterday , the guy she bought the car off said yes it would be covered and that he'd call her back in a minute. He never called back and wouldnt answer his phone then, after a while someone else answered the phone and said that sales guy doesnt work there anymore , the garage had changed owndership and that he must have answered the phone when ihe was in cleaning the office!!! And not to call again!

Advertisement