Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network problem

Options
  • 25-07-2012 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

I'm trying to connect 2 PCs to a Konica minolta printer. I have set one PCs as local & connected the printer via usb. I have connected the second PC to the printer via RJ45. The second PC is not seeing the printer-giving a yellow triangle stating limited or no connection. Should I assign static addresses to both PCs or should I leave them using DHCP addressing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Is the printer connected to a router or directly to the PC?

If connected directly to the PC you'll need to assign static ip's to both devices - unless the PC is running a DHCP server.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭PaulieBoy

To connect them together like that you will need a crossover cable. To use a normal -straight through- cable you would need to use a hub, switch or a router. Probably easier to use your router and DHCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hi,if you have an internet router such as an eircom box,you could use this as your hub/switch and use standard network cables.Leave your pcs with dhcp on,however the printer is better of with a static i.p. address.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

igorbiscan wrote: »
    Hi,if you have an internet router such as an eircom box,you could use this as your hub/switch and use standard network cables.Leave your pcs with dhcp on,however the printer is better of with a static i.p. address.

Hi igorbiscan,

How do assign a static IP address to a printer?
    Cheers

recycled

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭igorbiscan

Hi, first you get the p.c.'s printing through the hub/router.Then on the printer switch DHCP to off and that should leave the printer's i.p. address static.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

igorbiscan wrote: »
    Hi, first you get the p.c.'s printing through the hub/router.Then on the printer switch DHCP to off and that should leave the printer's i.p. address static.

I'll try that, thanks for everyones input.
    Fantastic responces

elgan

Advertisement