Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The War Z (PC)

• 25-07-2012 8:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread for this game yet (seems a bit under the radar) but it is a zombie survival MMO "..with strong parallels to Day Z" http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/07/19/the-war-z-announced-zombie-survival-shooter-mmo-with-strong-parallels-to-day-z/
    -Big open worlds to explore between 200 to 400 square kilometers
    -Two modes of play: Normal and Hardcore
    -Combination of first-person and third-person perspectives
    -Meld of PvE (player versus environment) and PvP (player versus player)
    -Strong Role Playing Elements
    -Multiple playable characters with customizable features
    -Unique social elements, including bounties, help requests, trap setting, etc.
    -Safe settlements where players can purchase, sell and store items as well as post notes for other players
    -Dozens of unique skills that can be learned and improved
    -Up to 250 players per game server
    -New weapons and items become available as players explore the game world
    -Full developer support with regularly scheduled, free content updates
    -Dedicated public servers as well as private servers that can be completely self-managed in game client
    -Single purchase, downloadable client with ability to play full game without subscriptions or requiring in-game transactions

The game is coming out this fall apparently and is PC only.

If my PC could run it I'd get it :P

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Hmmm looks quite interesting especially if they pull off a lot of what they promoted it would be. Hopefully it will be something different to DayZ rather then an attempted direct copycat.

You can sign up for the closed beta here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Speed-boat-2008.jpg

Theres the boat Hammerpoint Interactive.......You missed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

applied for beta :) any idea when it is?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Not exactly sure. One thing is for sure however- my PC will keel and die if it tries to play it.

Weird that there wasn't a thread on this already considering its coming out rather soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Competition is good. While its a great mod, there's quite a lot wrong with DayZ. Hopefully with it being a dedicated game on a different engine, the hit reg and netcode won't suck donkey balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

IGN interview that gives a bit more detail to the game.

Sounds good, hopefully the small server sizes (250) means theres no mass of players crowding the "Auction house" or whatever becomes the hub for AFK players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Sounds fun, Glad it isn't going to be a wow clone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Definitely has potential. Will have to wait quite awhile to have a decent enough PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    IGN interview that gives a bit more detail to the game.

Sounds good, hopefully the small server sizes (250) means theres no mass of players crowding the "Auction house" or whatever becomes the hub for AFK players.

If they put an auction house in game like this then I can already say it will fail, because it will kill the whole surviving and scavenging idea.

Now when it wil be out quee a horde of wow players bitching about "where's end game and why I don't have a bazooka as my starting gear?!"

I actually liked the sound of Safe settlements where players can purchase, sell and store items as well as post notes for other players as I felt that was something that was missing from DayZ though if that just a fancy name for an auction house then I won't be happy.

I don't think they are going for the realistic end of world scenario ala DayZ, just a more easily accessible people vs people vs zombie (pvpvz) game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

The War Z is an open world Zombie Game; as you explore and immerse yourself in this post-apocalyptic world you'll discover more than you ever imagined.
    You will find yourself hiding from zombies and other players;
    exploring hidden parts of the map and discovering hidden
    stashes throughout your journey.

Couldn't find a thread on it.

The game is set to be released in the fall, with Beta access given if you preorder it.

Heres some footage from Alpha, think it looks really nice.

Link to video.

Official Site.

Thread here ;)

Signed up for it when that original thread was first posted but completely forgot about it.

Hadn't seen a video of it before though only screen so thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,862 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just looked up the specs as my laptop isn't exactly made for gaming.
    What are system requirements?

If your computer has at least 2GB of RAM, has video card that supports Shader Model 3.0 - then you should be able to play The War Z.

How specific :pac:. My laptop has a Radeon HD5650. I'm fairly sure it supports Shader Model 3 but I can't see it running this game too good. Will keep an eye on it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

War Z threads merged.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,099 ✭✭✭✭briany

I like it. I wonder will it just consist of a load of people out for themselves or will it be more of a team based gameplay? See, one great trope from zombie films that is under utilized in zombie games is the siege and particularly where the Zs are slow and relentless and you have to figure out ways to stop them getting in, not just shoot them as they dive through the window. I'd like to see more of that.

Mr E wrote: »
    War Z threads merged.

Sorry about that, I did search this forum for the War Z and no threads came up. Anyways, here we are.

Can't wait, it looks really nice, like a mix between L4D and DayZ.

Sorry about that, I did search this forum for the War Z and no threads came up. Anyways, here we are.

Can't wait, it looks really nice, like a mix between L4D and DayZ.

It does look like a good mix doesn't it?

The internets seem divided around this one, with DayZ and WarZ camps throwing rocks at each other.

For me, Online Zombie Survival Horror is probably the genre I would most like to explore through gaming, if both of the above mentioned titles do well, even if the games aren't brilliant - they will inspire other studio's to enter the fray and sooner or later we will get something that will blow our minds.

Looks like this is going to come out around the same time as the Walking Dead Season 3 will start, TWD Game Episode 4 will release. October should be fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

im deffo up for this one.

For me, Online Zombie Survival Horror is probably the genre I would most like to explore through gaming, if both of the above mentioned titles do well, even if the games aren't brilliant - they will inspire other studio's to enter the fray and sooner or later we will get something that will blow our minds.

If we could get a game that's immersive and is creative in the scenarios it uses, then it could truely be a winner. If it's just some bland open world, a few farmhouses, cliquey servers, assault rifles and power up packs then count me out. If it's a polished world that has a balanced challenge, a true sense of menace, diverse locations then count me in.

• Advertisement

briany wrote: »
    If we could get a game that's immersive and is creative in the scenarios it uses, then it could truely be a winner. If it's just some bland open world, a few farmhouses, cliquey servers, assault rifles and power up packs then count me out. If it's a polished world that has a balanced challenge, a true sense of menace, diverse locations then count me in.

I couldn't agree more.

I played Dayz with two friends. Despite it's issues, some of the things we experienced were totally unique to that game. Three of us navigating our way through woods, cautiously moving into a town to loot hot spots, assaulting other player groups etc etc., - I've never had anything like that and it was amazing.

Unfortunately we stopped playing regularly around 1.5 months ago as server issues, cheating, disconnecting and bloody barbedwire EVERYWHERE made it less hassle than it was worth.

If a game can reproduce the best and not take so much of the worst of what is above, I think I'll enjoy it - will certainly try it provided it's not a €50 game that is terribly implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

This has scam written all over it!
    Have you seen the comparisons of WarInc and WarZ?

Looks like they mocked up a few screenshots to sell pre-orders.

http://imgur.com/a/SvNg5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

TomCo wrote: »

Well you can hardly blame them for not wanting to reinvent the wheel.

Some of those could be just unfortunate coincidences.

TomCo wrote: »

Some of those could be just unfortunate coincidences.

Yeah they are not coincidences nor is it a scam... just using a game alreading in production, adding zombies and other bits to jump on the Dayz bandwagon.

They are both funded from the Arktos Entertainment Group just under different developers Hammerpoint Interactive (Warz) and Online Warmongers (WarInc). For all I know they may even be the same devlopment team!

I don't mind if a game is based on another game by using it's engine for example - there's countless examples of that - but, reviews for War Inc. have been less than stellar. Considerably less. Does that mean that the War Z will feel just like War Inc. with the zombie element looking like an afterthought? I suppose we can only wait and see.

More gameplay footage here.

Dev com. 20 minutes long.

Link.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's a blatant rip off of DayZ, with most features taken straight out of it, but it looks decent. But I hate games that highlight usable items with a glow. The blue glow on items in this looks ****ing stupid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Kiith wrote: »
    It's a blatant rip off of DayZ, with most features taken straight out of it, but it looks decent. But I hate games that highlight usable items with a glow. The blue glow on items in this looks ****ing stupid.

It looks terrible! It takes a second to pick up a mag but not to switch weapons and add a million different attachments. The animations are even worse that dayz's teleporting zombies. In that dev commentary he said he wanted to make it like farmville 2. He also talked about using real money to buy guns.

I had high hopes but I don't think its going to be any good.

No thanks.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement