Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Foetus stem cell research

• 25-07-2012 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭

Meanwhile in Russia...

http://en.ria.ru/crime/20120725/174778464.html

Ok, jokes aside. This is a bit of a dodgy story alright. Though I personally don't see any problem with abortion but understand why other people disagree with it in some cases, this case is just outright bizarre and creepy.

Fair enough to have an abortion, it's your own choice. I also don't see a problem with research with the tissue because I do not consider an embryo to comparable to a baby because to me it is just a heap of cells. But there are obviously limits, both time wise as well as ethical.

I don't want another pro- or contra abortion discussion to start here, because it will never go anywhere anyway. But I guess some people here might agree that the disposal of foetuses just down a ditch is a bit off limits for any person. The fact that it wasn't only one foetus but 250 and that some of them were up to 6 months old (other sources) just makes it sicker.
    Anyway, feel free to disagree but please try to refrain from discussions on the nature of abortions. They are legal in Russia so the legal basis shouldn't be an issue here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

So killing them fine , but dumping them in a forest bad form ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Pro life versus pro choice in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Abortions for some etc. etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

jhegarty wrote: »
    So killing them fine , but dumping them in a forest bad form ?
    Just because you support abortion doesn't mean you support dumping a load of biohazards around the place.

OP, if you don't want discussion of abortion here...then what do you want discussed? Embryonic stem cell research? Because it ultimately boils down to the same concepts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

Yes, the abortion and stem cell research part is legal, but what is described in the article is clearly beyond it.

• Advertisement

jumpguy wrote: »
    Just because you support abortion doesn't mean you support dumping a load of biohazards around the place.

OP, if you don't want discussion of abortion here...then what do you want discussed? Embryonic stem cell research? Because it ultimately boils down to the same concepts...

I just found it quite creepy and tried to make clear that it is not the abortion itself that I have a problem with, but the way the whole thing was obviously carried out. It's just disgusting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

If hundreds of human fetuses fall in a forest, and no one is around, does it make a sound?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

I don't understand why they would just dump them there. Surely research facilities like this would have access to incinerators to dispose of all waste (needles/biohazard etc.).
    Especially if it's something else of a criminal nature, surely the perpetrators would want to destroy the evidence properly?

Just doesn't make sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

When people ask for the limits to be pushed this is the consequence.

And people think euthanasia wouldn't be abused!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well I agree with stem cell research but they could have been more careful dumping the bodies.

• Advertisement

Sauve wrote: »
    I don't understand why they would just dump them there. Surely research facilities like this would have access to incinerators to dispose of all waste (needles/biohazard etc.).
    Especially if it's something else of a criminal nature, surely the perpetrators would want to destroy the evidence properly?

Just doesn't make sense.

Also that the barrels still contained the stickers with the mothers' names and room numbers. It really seems like someone unprofessional was told to quickly dispose of the stuff in a hurry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Meanwhile in Russia...

http://en.ria.ru/crime/20120725/174778464.html

I don't want another pro- or contra abortion discussion to start here, because it will never go anywhere .

What do you want discussed then??

When people ask for the limits to be pushed this is the consequence.

And people think euthanasia wouldn't be abused!

Not necessarily.
    I think you're being a tad sensationalist here.
    No matter what laws/guidlines we're asked to live by, people are always going to go overboard.
    Should we ban steak knives while we're at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Even this fella had a better system for disposing of bodies

http://www.iceboating.net/files/images/chipper.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭blacklilly

I may be wrong but I though abortion in Russia was permitted up until the 12th week of pregnancy.
    Abortion debate to the side, I think most people will be disgusted by this story

If abortion was legalised here would stem cell testing be allowed?

steddyeddy wrote: »
    If abortion was legalised here would stem cell testing be allowed?

Is your question relating to the possible use of aborted foetuses or embryos in stem cell research? I don't think that's possible.
    Embryonic stem cells are taken at the blastocyst stage which is, I think 4-5 days after fertilisation. This stage itself lasts only a few days as far as I can remember.

Is your question relating to the possible use of aborted foetuses or embryos in stem cell research? I don't think that's possible.
    Embryonic stem cells are taken at the blastocyst stage which is, I think 4-5 days after fertilisation. This stage itself lasts only a few days as far as I can remember.

Aborted foetuses. Would there be a law preventing experimentation? New techniques can induce potency in all degrees of cell specialization.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Aborted foetuses. Would there be a law preventing experimentation? New techniques can induce potency in all degrees of cell specialization.

For a start there'd have to be permission from the mother, surely?

I don't agree with abortion, have quite strong feelings towards it.
    That aside because this isn't a moral debate, that issue would have to be legislated for. Hospitals/clinics couldn't just hand over foetuses to research facilities, there'd be uproar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

For a start there'd have to be permission from the mother, surely?

I don't agree with abortion, have quite strong feelings towards it.
    That aside because this isn't a moral debate, that issue would have to be legislated for. Hospitals/clinics couldn't just hand over foetuses to research facilities, there'd be uproar.

And unfortunately history has shown that similar has happened as with the hospital in the UK that removed dead babies organs for research and never told, never mind asked, the families. The uproar only happened after they were found out.
    http://society.guardian.co.uk/alderhey/

If some medical professionals don't feel the need to gain familial permission after the death of a baby, there'll be more who consider the product of abortion to be nothing more than human waste and less in need of permission to work on.

• Advertisement

Giselle wrote: »
    And unfortunately history has shown that similar has happened as with the hospital in the UK that removed dead babies organs for research and never told, never mind asked, the families. The uproar only happened after they were found out.
    http://society.guardian.co.uk/alderhey/

If some medical professionals don't feel the need to gain familial permission after the death of a baby, there'll be more who consider the product of abortion to be nothing more than human waste and less in need of permission to work on.

Yeah I have to agree with you there, but I don't know if I'd disagree on stem cell research on that basis alone.
    There are always going to be people out there looking for a quick buck, irregardless of the immorality/consequences of their actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I feel the same way about stem cell research as I do about gynaecological check ups.

Uncomfortable. But necessary in the long term.

I think very strictly policed regulation should be a given.

Advertisement