Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread 25/7/12 to 12/10/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Lapin wrote: »
    Joe knows too damn well what the silly season is. He's responsible for much of it.

I think that is what Derek Mooney's show should be called.....

The Silly Season (with Brek).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

The Neverending Silly Season (with Brek).

.............^^^^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The Silly Season (with Brek).

Could we put a Plague on his house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Could we put a Plague on his house?

Locusts or bubonic?

Boombastic wrote: »
    Locusts or bubonic?

Whatever's in season. He's a painful host and actually sounds like a very dislikable prat. Or maybe we should just send Mannix around!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

For somebody who was never short of a soundbite when he was in opposition, Reilly seems to be as evident as Lord Lucan these days. B'stard.

in fairness to reilly he has the ****test job in the govt. too many pen pushers who are protected by their union over lords through the croke park agreement. if he could rid half the wasters he could the money back into services and medical staff rather then pen pushers and people taking career breaks & long term sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

neris wrote: »
    in fairness to reilly he has the ****test job in the govt. too many pen pushers who are protected by their union over lords through the croke park agreement. if he could rid half the wasters he could the money back into services and medical staff rather then pen pushers and people taking career breaks & long term sick leave.

Let's not forget it was Reilly who, as president of the IMO, was one of the chief negotiators for the obscene salaries and contracts given to hospital consultants, and because these were contracts they can't be touched, so instead Jimbo concentrates on cutting back on home help services for the sick and elderly, while the consultants continue to swan about in a parallel universe, thanks, in no small part, to Dr. James Reilly. You couldn't make it up :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Let's not forget it was Reilly who, as president of the IMO, was one of the chief negotiators for the obscene salaries and contracts given to hospital consultants, and because these were contracts they can't be touched, so instead Jimbo concentrates on cutting back on home help services for the sick and elderly, while the consultants continue to swan about in a parallel universe, thanks, in no small part, to Dr. James Reilly. You couldn't make it up :mad:

I think your anger is misplaced.

When he was head of the IMO he was on the other side of the fence. He was looking for more money for the members of the organisation. Anyone else in that position would have done the same. Are you trying to tell me at your last salary review you accepted less than what you could get for "the good of the company"?

There was a perfectly good Minister for Health who could have said no, or who could have negotiated for less, but they didn't. Same party then signed the CPA tying future governments into being able to do eff all.

syklops wrote: »
    I think your anger is misplaced.

When he was head of the IMO he was on the other side of the fence. He was looking for more money for the members of the organisation. Anyone else in that position would have done the same. Are you trying to tell me at your last salary review you accepted less than what you could get for "the good of the company"?

There was a perfectly good Minister for Health who could have said no, or who could have negotiated for less, but they didn't. Same party then signed the CPA tying future governments into being able to do eff all.

Yeah, he was looking for more money for members of an organistaion which were already being paid a lot more than their counterparts in the UK and most countries in Europe. Maybe that might explain why Reilly owns a stately home in County Offaly with 13 bedrooms? :rolleyes:

Maybe that might explain why Reilly owns a stately home in County Offaly with 13 bedrooms? :rolleyes:

A Plague on that house too! :D

• Advertisement

Yeah, he was looking for more money for members of an organistaion which were already being paid a lot more than their counterparts in the UK and most countries in Europe

So? If part of your job as head of an organisation is to look for more money then thats what you do. If he didnt go looking for it, he might have been sacked from his position. He was not employed to look after the purse strings in those days. The budget was not his concern, his concern was getting the best for his members. As would be your concern were you in his position.

Why are you not blaming the previous Minister for Health for making the deal?

syklops wrote: »
    So? If part of your job as head of an organisation is to look for more money then thats what you do. If he didnt go looking for it, he might have been sacked from his position. He was not employed to look after the purse strings in those days. The budget was not his concern, his concern was getting the best for his members. As would be your concern were you in his position.

Why are you not blaming the previous Minister for Health for making the deal?

Of course the previous Minister for Health must shoulder some of the blame, but one of the reasons why there's such a shortfall in the Health budget is because of over-inflated salaries, and Reilly himself was directly responsible for this in a previous existence, presumably with the threat of strike action if their demands weren't met. And it's not that long ago that the consultants threatened to strike because of an issue they had with the Government over insurance, (even though they're supposed to have a 'no-strike' clause).

He's now picking on the easy targets, ie home help because it's the path of least resistance. How come the HSE pays commensurately far more for drugs than the NHS does? Why hasn't Reilly tried to fix this anomaly? He's had 18 months to try to sort that out but he hasn't. Instead he's going to cut the hours that sick and elderly people receive through home help.
    Of course, it won't matter to Reilly because he won't be the one who's got to tell an elderly and infirm person or a Parkinson's sufferer that their help is being cut back. And sure, they can always move into Reilly's private nursing home if they have enough dosh, can't they? :rolleyes:

Of course the previous Minister for Health must shoulder some of the blame, but one of the reasons why there's such a shortfall in the Health budget is because of over-inflated salaries, and Reilly himself was directly responsible for this in a previous existence, presumably with the threat of strike action if their demands weren't met. And it's not that long ago that the consultants threatened to strike because of an issue they had with the Government over insurance, (even though they're supposed to have a 'no-strike' clause).

I understand where you are coming from but I think your anger is still mis-placed. If the department I work for goes bust tomorrow, am I directly responsible because I asked for 65k instead of 45k. 45k would have been fine, I could have lived quite happily on that, but instead I negotiated 65k. Am I directly responsible for the collapse?

When Dr O'Reilly negotiated the terms, he was the one doing the asking, not the guy rubber stamping it all.
    Of course, it won't matter to Reilly because he won't be the one who's got to tell an elderly and infirm person or a Parkinson's sufferer that their help is being cut back. And sure, they can always move into Reilly's private nursing home if they have enough dosh, can't they? :rolleyes:

Actually he met with a number of disabled people last night and discussed their plight. This was before last nights cabinet meeting which prompted the governments u-turn on the plans to cut services.

Joe will be unbearable today.

so will joes topic be for today the reversal of cuts or the child abuse in the church. definitley wont be sunshine lollipops and rainbows

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

so will joes topic be for today the reversal of cuts or the child abuse in the church. definitley wont be sunshine lollipops and rainbows

He'll probably have both and have a miseryfest today.

I cant listen to ANOTHER day of that.. If Danny Ellis comes out the radio is going through the window..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

shockwave wrote: »
    He'll probably have both and have a miseryfest today.

Gold-plated nipple clamps are being readied as we speak, although News at One are getting so much out of the Child Protection Audits he'll probably concentrate on giving himself a good portion of self-congratulatory back slaps first on the Home Help protest before wrenching out the Church abuse cases......and tears!

Wait for it.. "Good afternoon Anthony, you were in Artane".. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Fasten your seatbelts, heeeeere we go......:D

quickest bad line ever on liveline

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

More feckin carers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No sign of God's apologosts yet.

Praise the Lord !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Joe works through an Agent too and he gets more than €9 an hour......sorry, €9 a second.

why do these workers think their being fleeced? the minimum wage is €8.65. if they think their being underpaid why not resign or strike

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Is that €9.00 oper hour Joe, or €900.00 per hour?
    Equally is it €20.00 oper hour Joe, or €2,000.00 per hour?

I can't be sure as you haven't clarified today.........:rolleyes:

"I had to use up two weeks of MY annual leave"..

If you're not happy with the job, DO SOMETHING ELSE, but get off my radio..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Is Marian trying to disguise her voice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

why do these workers think their being fleeced? the minimum wage is €8.65. if they think their being underpaid why not resign or strike

Because they are entitled to more..they just are.

joe do rte pay u to drive to work??

probably not as im sure you have a chauffer

• Advertisement

Is that €9.00 oper hour Joe, or €900.00 per hour? Equally is it €20.00 oper hour Joe, or €2,000.00 per hour?

Yeah, this is to the forefront of my thinking every time I hear joke giving out about the agency hourly rate.. complete hypocrisy.. How much do Joe's makey uppey company (for tax avoidance purposes) charge in FEEES to RTE..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement