Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread 25/7/12 to 12/10/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Suzie4 wrote: »
    I doubt anyone would dispute that but at the same time when it comes to 24 hour care I certainly wouldn't deny anyone a couple of hours a day state funded help to give them a small break.

and so you eventually get my point...so a couple of hours...if you have to look after someone 24 hrs a day..ok

that would be 14 hours a week...which is what the guy was getting who was moaning about it..

Look if it makes you happy to be so mean spirited the more power to your elbow.
    He wasn't complaining, he was exasperated, as no doubt is anyone caring 24/7 for someone else. It doesn't make him weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Suzie4

Lapin wrote: »
    The state should be there to help people in that very position.

Not everyone can make the sacrifices you demand to look after a loved one.

How can they pay the costs if they give up their job? How can you after someone if you lose the roof over your head ?

Such actions will ultimately cost the state a lot more in the long run.

Also, your mother was fortunate to have family around. Not everyone has that. You really should try to be more understanding of others.

why should i pay more tax to look after someones elderly parents..just because they couldnt be bothered?
    you have it arseways.. the state should only provide for those who dont have the MEANS to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Ulster Bank were gonna bring in transaction fees, but they decided not to on the basis that they werent capable of carrying out the transactions..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

She should move to Ulster Bank :)
    BoI have fees, but it's relatively easy to get around them (for now).

She must have been making lots of small transactions to rack up that many charges in a 3-month period.
    Take out more money at once, get cashback when making a debit card transaction etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Joe must have noted the thread becoming over heated he's switched to bank fees and a cliff-edge moaner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

PauloMN wrote: »
    You hate the uncaring way people give birth to humans without their consent, yet you reckon we'd save a fortune if we just aborted any of the troublesome ones?

Wow. Just wow. :eek:
    yeah thats true...makes perfect sense...why do you think people have abortions?
    So Suzie, what exactly are you proposing here?

Are you suggesting that every woman who finds out during pregnancy that she is having a disabled child should abort it so that her child isn't a burden to the State? :(

by an o2 card.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

my friend wrote: »
    Surprised the coeliacs weren't on complaining today re their food 'entitlements'

I suppose the lactose-intolerant will be on the Six One news tonight!! ;)

by an o2 card.

That's the nicest thing you said today ;)

MrsD007 wrote: »
    So Suzie, what exactly are you proposing here?

Are you suggesting that every woman who finds out during pregnancy that she is having a disabled child should abort it so that her child isn't a burden to the State? :(

im suggesting that if abortion was legal and accepted in this country ,there would be less people giving birth to severely handicapped children.

very simple really.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Can everyone chill

People have different ways of looking at things and nobody here was saying the most defenceless should not be granted every comfort

Yeah, we know where you stand.......
    I am happy to contribute for this woman's child's care costs

I refuse to fund a house-maid service for oul farmers
    Tax payer funded maid

Let's see if he owns his property, then let the state claim it in lieu of services provided

The relatives would be quick to surface
    Lee you ungrateful Cnut

I have had 8 hours off work in the last 2 days

Busy paying taxes do as you can whine and bitch about your 'entitlements'

Go Fugg yourself Lee, oh that's right , some freaks done it already and I'm covering that tab too.

Not really worth responding to.

These people shouldn't bother buying lotto tickets

lapin ,what is with you and the multi quotes ??

are you a moderator here?

whats rocking your boat so bad there lapin?

Can everyone chill

People have different ways of looking at things and nobody here was saying the most defenceless should not be granted every comfort

Tax payer funded maid

Let's see if he owns his property, then let the state claim it in lieu of services provided

Lee you ungrateful Cnut

Go Fugg yourself Lee, oh that's right , some freaks done it already and I'm covering that tab too.

So you are fine with wealthy individuals receiving a free house maid service?

That's what I'm referring to, that and the foul mouthed ungrateful Lee

Don't try to paint me as anything unless you have the courage to state what you are thinking.

Man up , spit it out.

Can everyone chill

Tax payer funded maid

Lee you ungrateful Cnut

Don't try to paint me as anything unless you have the courage to state what you are thinking.

Man up , spit it out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

lapin ,what is with you and the multi quotes ??

are you a moderator here?

whats rocking your boat so bad there lapin?

Emphasis.

No.

Shíte talk.

im suggesting that if abortion was legal and accepted in this country ,there would be less people giving birth to severely handicapped children.

very simple really.
    Well, I sincerely hope that it isn't a choice that you or your partner ever have to make. It is funny the way people have all the answers until disability arrives at their door.

Man up , spit it out.

Well, I sincerely hope that it isn't a choice that you or your partner ever have to make. It is funny the way people have all the answers until disability arrives at their door.

mmm...how do you know it hasnt arrived at my door?

i have had an abortion for exactly that reason.

Anything else to say?

Considering you are a moderator,maybe you should be a little less presumptuous.

Maybe you have learned something.

Anything else to say?

Well Suzie, I have learned absolutely nothing from you!

Abortion isn't for everyone and it certainly isn't an option for people whose children are diagnosed with a disability at birth or in the years after birth.

I know parents that have left successful highly paid careers to give 24 hour care to children with disabilities or parents with serious illness. You expect people like this to live on fresh air and you moan when they claim a few lousy benefits:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Anything else to say?

Was making the decision to have an abortion the hardest decision you ever made?

it certainly isn't an option for people whose children are diagnosed with a disability at birth or in the years after birth.

Well of course abortion is not an option for people whose children are diagnosed with a disability after birth. Not unless they hire a hitman anyway.

syklops wrote: »
    Well of course abortion is not an option for people whose children are diagnosed with a disability after birth. Not unless they hire a hitman anyway.
    Suzie4 was suggesting that if abortion was freely available there would be less people claiming benefits for disabled children.

I'm merely pointing out that lots of parents don't become aware of their child's disability until birth or in the years that follow so I'm not sure what Suzie is proposing in that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I would suggest that the vast majority of people couldn't take the decision you did (i.e. have a termination on the basis that the baby had severe problems), and that it is unfair of you to brandish them as cowards (or at least, not having "the bravery" to do so.) What you did was brave, but don't deride others that didn't / couldn't do it.

Just to add: I would be in favour of abortion being fully legal here (giving people the choice). I just don't think it's a choice I or my wife could ever make. The current situation of the "limited circumstances" terminations whose statistics aren't even collected is a farcical Irish solution to a problem.

Suzie4, was suggesting that if abortion was freely available there would be less people claiming benefits for disabled children.

I'm merely pointing out that lots of parents don't become aware of their child's disability until birth or in the years that follow so I'm not sure what Suzie is proposing in that situation.

So you have learned nothing form me, but your "stating the total obvious" seems to be the only argument you have.
    You assumed i had no experience of what i was talking about ,like the other poster on the thread and now you dont have the common decency to admit that you got it wrong.

im merely pointing out that lots of parents are told they will give birth to a severely handicapped child ,but havent the courage to do what they really want to do ,and that is have an abortion.

So then ,they go looking for help from the state to assist them and their child, the child they didnt really want in the first place.

Have you learned anything now?

No ,it wasnt the hardest decision of my life,it was the correct decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

its very hot in here:D

Suzie4 was suggesting that if abortion was freely available there would be less people claiming benefits for disabled children.

From what I can see she is not proposing anything in THAT situation.

Her point was in relation to the situation where a disability has been discovered prior to birth. Thats what I understand.

Yakuza wrote: »
    I would suggest that the vast majority of people couldn't take the decision you did, and that it is unfair of you to brandish them as cowards (or at least, not having "the bravery" to do so.) What you did was brave, but don't deride others that didn't / couldn't do it.

I didnt deride anyone,i pointed out the fact that the werent brave enough to do what the actually wanted to do ,and if abortion was legal in THIS country ,they wouldnt have to be so brave would they?

its very hot in here:D

Yes it is. Sudzs, Ivy, take off all your clothes.

• Advertisement

Well i hope you have learned something now mrs doo7..

If you havent,well i hope you do soon.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement