Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread 25/7/12 to 12/10/2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Absolutely agree, but I'm assuming it would be the responsibility of the patient to give the contact details of their next of kin and maybe in this situation he wasn't cooperative.

If he isnt being co-operative, don't discharge him. I, personally, don't think anyone who has tried to top themselves should be discharged same day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

Oh God her voice is just heartbreaking.

She sounds so lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I know she would have liked to be told that her son had tried something but it's not a possibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Lucy from fair city

She sounds like the anti dole type alright

syklops wrote: »
    Absolutely agree, but I'm assuming it would be the responsibility of the patient to give the contact details of their next of kin and maybe in this situation he wasn't cooperative.

If he isnt being co-operative, don't discharge him. I, personally, don't think anyone who has tried to top themselves should be discharged same day.

Absolutely agreed. But to best of my knowlege you can discharge yourself? Open to correction on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

But the thing is, they can't. The patient has the absolute right to discharge him or herself, all the doctors and nurses can do is ask the patient if they understand that they are leaving against the express wishes of the medical personnel. Patient says "Yes" and off they trot.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

She sounds like the anti dole type alright

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

europa11 wrote: »
    Never again to meet Bang Bang

attachment.php?attachmentid=84961&stc=1&d=1318602099

Is that really Bang Bang? I've never seen a picture of the legend lunatic before.

Absolutely agreed. But to best of my knowlege you can discharge yourself? Open to correction on that.

AFAIK, there are levels. A doctor can put on your chart "This person should not be discharged", and you then can't leave officially.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Is that really Bang Bang? I've never seen a picture of the legend lunatic before.

i Did not know Bang BanG was Down Syndrome

• Advertisement

europa11 wrote: »

ffs, it's every feckin' day now :mad:. I'd bet he's hoping someone gets wrapped around a tractor when they're off at the Ploughing thing during the week.

No chance of that happening now what with the new PTO Safety Ad out. There'll never be another accident on a farm in Ireland ever again.:rolleyes:

RadioRetro wrote: »
    But the thing is, they can't. The patient has the absolute right to discharge him or herself, all the doctors and nurses can do is ask the patient if they understand that they are leaving against the express wishes of the medical personnel. Patient says "Yes" and off they trot.

Well if thats the case, then it should be changed.

RadioRetro wrote: »

I worked in a private hospital and patients who wished to discharge themselves were asked to sign a note to say they were doing so against medical advice.
    To protect only the hospital of course, not for genuine patient concern.

"death by suicide" is a very irritating phrase Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Suzie4

i have heard this woman so many times on the fcuking radio...her voice goes through me..neeeeeeeeeeeeeed....neeeeeeeeeeeeeddd..

the sucide rate isnt amazingly ott compare to world wide averages..

life just isnt for some people. the sooner people accept this the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Yep....and that's the most complementary one I could find, Google "Bang Bang Dublin character" for some of the madder ones :D

I'd have jumped off the bus if I saw that nut approaching. Even if it meant spilling the coddle all over the street :)

A chat and a cup of Lyons Tea will prevent 99% of all deaths by suicide. FACT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

The blame game.....guilt .....wtf. If you are prepared to pay to see a phsycitarist you wont be waiting for 3 weeks for an appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

"he attempted death by suicide"...

ffs... What sort of softening of "he tried to kill himself" is that? I dont think anything is served by Joe looking through his Big Book Of Expressions for euphemisms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

sad tale but unfortunately this topic has been done forever on this show and nothing has/is going to be done, and certainly not by Joe Duffy, next topic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Well if thats the case, then it should be changed.

It is and it should. My mother discharged herself once from a hospital and afterwards I discussed the options with a doctor and three nurses and all basically said what I posted.

• Advertisement

Joe was giving out about Volunteers last week, now he's all for them.

Ok, they were paramilitary volunteers, but volunteers nonetheless! :)

how about people accept suicide as something some people want to do..

they were brought into the world without their consent,some people dont like it here.

nothing wrong with killing yourself .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Suzie4 wrote: »
    the sucide rate isnt amazingly ott compare to world wide averages..

I see what you're saying.. Sometimes it's good to look at things on a macro level..:D

outdoors and indoors....well thats everywhere einstein.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

There are two places where people commit suicide, inside and outside.

Where else could the do it?

Leave your radio on Mary, just hang up instead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I know it's a depressing topic, but suicide is a massive issue in this country, and is far more worthy of airtime than tedious reminiscences about Clery's and Guiney's, or any of Joe's other self-indulgent, narrow, parochial pet-subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

What a brilliant line:
    "There's 2 places where people commit suicide. Indoors, and they also do it outdoors"

There are two places where people commit suicide, inside and outside.

Where else could the do it?

Joe's place. :D

• Advertisement

I see what you're saying.. Sometimes it's good to look at things on a macro level..:D

i find its best to try to see things on the macro level most of the time jon...

works for me fine;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement