Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline Thread 25/7/12 to 12/10/2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

RayM wrote: »
    I don't understand how people can make sh*tty, sarcastic comments about somebody's suicide attempt.

There are some utter cretins on this thread.

I don't think anyone laughs at suicide RayM. What people express here through a variety of emotions (humour and anger included) is Joe Duffy's handling of this topic in a completely unhelpful, unprofessional, untrained and non-medical based manner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Suzie4 wrote: »
    my father was a manic depressive,i have suffered from depression and suicidal idiation...is that good enough for you?
    Well then I don't understand how you can say that suicide is no big deal so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

That's not the impression I got from Suzie's comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Suzie4

because when i accepted that my father didnt want to live anymore,i could accept suicide as a rational response to his feelings... very simple really.

Suicide was his cure..if people saw it like that...they wouldnt get so uppity about it.

Why shouldnt everyone not have the right to die a peaceful death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I don't think anyone laughs at suicide RayM. What people express here through a variety of emotions (humour and anger included) is Joe Duffy's handling of this topic in a completely unhelpful, unprofessional, untrained and non-medical based manner.

I agree entirely with that. If you rang the Samaritans and Joe Duffy was on the other end, the best possible advice would be to hang up immediately. Some people, though, aren't mocking Joe's handling of the topic; they're directly mocking a woman who tried to kill herself. And that's pretty appalling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I thought the media would have been all over this story today, including Duffy.. This seems more like the carry on that would have gone on in one of the communist countries that Chairman Joe aligns himself with.. (albeit the journalist wasnt shot)..

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/mcguinness-forces-removal-of-journalist-208595.html
    An indignant Jim McGuinness refused to participate in yesterday’s post-match press conference until a journalist was removed from Croke Park’s interview room. In extraordinary scenes, the Donegal manager took his seat only to walk out after noticing This Is Our Year author Declan Bogue was in attendance.

Suzie4 wrote: »
    because when i accepted that my father didnt want to live anymore,i could accept suicide as a rational response to his feelings... very simple really.

Suicide was his cure..if people saw it like that...they wouldnt get so uppity about it.

Why shouldnt everyone not have the right to die a peaceful death?
    Choking yourself by hanging and leaving the family to cut you done and clean up your excrement is a peaceful death? Or to deal with the aftermath of someone shooting themselves? (All of which had to be dealt with by close family members of mine)

One thing i know for sure...

Joe duffy and his half arsed pop culture councilling....WONT HELP ANYONE!

RadioRetro wrote: »
    That's not the impression I got from Suzie's comment...
    Suzie4 said, and I quote
    Suzie4 wrote:
    how about people accept suicide as something some people want to do..

they were brought into the world without their consent,some people dont like it here.

nothing wrong with killing yourself .

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I bet Brendan Drumm had lots of great ideas in that book. It's a pity he didn't put them into practice when he was in a position of power. Just like all the retired Garda Commissioners who always seem to have great ideas after they've left their jobs. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

There you go, first sign of person who is suicidal... They write poetry..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I hope this woman is getting the help she clearly needs.

Choking yourself by hanging and leaving the family to cut you done and clean up your excrement is a peaceful death? Or to deal with the aftermath of someone shooting themselves?

Look if you want to make it all dramatic and ott ivy go ahead...i think joe duffy is begining to get into your head there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

and the agenda for todays show is finally revealed

A demand for unlimited mental health resources

It's not on suckers, we have limited resources, in a very actuarial perspective consider the selfish actions of some as a lightening of the burden for the masses

'woh is me, wah wah wah you don't know how bad things are for me, wah wah wah, I'm more depressed than you'

shïtehawks the lot of them

I thought the media would have been all over this story today, including Duffy.. This seems more like the carry on that would have gone on in one of the communist countries that Chairman Joe aligns himself with.. (albeit the journalist wasnt shot)..
    Alex Ferguson currently has about three or four sports hacks on his presser blacklist and he spent years refusing to talk to Auntie Beeb over a Panorama doc that featured his agent son. Not much was said then by the fourth estate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

jaysus christ, i cant take much more of this. another break from the liveline i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Jaysus this is depressing:(

Is there not a chapter about Mary McAleese.. ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

I cant take any more of this

ivy this is the last thing i will address with you ...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone killing themselves.

If you dont understand that ,there is no point in talking to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Is that Hector hamming it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

I bet Brendan Drumm had lots of great ideas in that book. ..... :rolleyes:

And now that Joe has given his buke a plug, Brendan had better familiarise himself with this classic in case he's on the Show sometime soon

http://shop.rte.ie/images/productImages//Large/joebook.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I ham hating that Brady's Ham ad, so I ham.

that was 40 minutes of suicide ...my god.

His crassness, insensitivity and pathetic attempts at humour ar really striking in connection with that womans call.

The remarks about the dog keeping that woman warm were particularly unhelpful.

The bridge naming battle! Listen to Joe get excira.

Delira.

Wha wha wha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Big Daddy Cool

Is that Hector hamming it up?

Tommy Tiernan i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

my friend wrote: »
    and the agenda for todays show is finally revealed

A demand for unlimited mental health resources

It's not on suckers, we have limited resources, in a very actuarial perspective consider the selfish actions of some as a lightening of the burden for the masses

'woh is me, wah wah wah you don't know how bad things are for me, wah wah wah, I'm more depressed than you'

shïtehawks the lot of them

Your ignorance about mental health problems is quite amazing.

• Advertisement

This could have the nipple clamps on full blast

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement