Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burning incense, potential danger to children's health?

Options
  • 25-07-2012 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am wracked with guilt having learnt of the potential harm that the burning of incense can have upon ones health, children in particular.
    Has anyone heard about this? It seems a legitimate concern, it is smoke after all.
    I had just assumed that when buying it from my local health food store, that it poses no threat to my families health...that it would simply enhance our home, a nice comforting scent in the air. Used as it has been for centuries in many Eastern cultures.

My daughter has been exposed to incense, albeit of good quality and in a well ventilated space, quite regularly throughout the years.
    Can anyone alleviate my concern? I will no longer be burning it, to err on the side of caution.

However, I cannot properly convey how concerned I am that I may have caused harm to my daughters health :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

where did you hear that its harmful ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Smoke as in cigerette smoke is harmful in a way which which incense is not.
    Read what is in the incense make sure that no one in the house is allgeric, make sure the room is ventilated and then you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I don't think incense contains the cancer causing carcinogens that cigarettes do.
    I did come across a short study where thet found no link between incense burning & respiratory illnesses: http://ibe.sagepub.com/content/4/6/334.abstract

Advertisement