Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laparoscopy

Options
  • 25-07-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to be posting in and if it's not, my apologies mods.

I'm due to go for a laparoscopy on Monday and my nerves are gone to be honest. I probably sound like a big baby!

I've been prone to cysts on my ovaries but for the last week I have been in crippling pain, so much so that I couldn't lift my leg over the bath to have a shower, couldn't get in or out of the car and couldn't raise my leg to put jeans on. My stomach is huge! I look like I'm 6 months pregant! I'm just really nervous now because it's the first time anyone is really taking me seriously and investigating it properly!

I'm just looking for advice from people who have had it done and what I can expect.

I'm nervous about going to theatre and seeing everyone gowned up! Sounds silly!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Queen of Sheebs

Had one about 3 years ago. Found it fine to be honest. very sore bending over for a few days and couldn't lift anything but no major pain aftetwards. I think it will depend on the amount of work they do once inside. Others might be able to tell u more. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭meggysmom

hello there,i had one in febuary and like you was dreading it,mostly the operating room,i was hoping they would have knocked me out before i went in but because thay had trouble getting drip in my vein in hand(always an issue especially with fasting for me),i was awake and could feel myself panicing when they moved me onto table and saw all the docs in gowns and that.I said to whichever doc it was,please put me under quick i'm going to freak out,i remember nothing more:)I woke up and was a little weepy for a few mins but once I got my bearings I was fine and felt fine.I was a little knocked out for 3 days.The pain was not bad really,actually constipation was the worse thing for me.It depends on what work is done.I had some endo,a cyst on right ovary and ovary was glued to pelvic wall,all was fixed and I also had a d&c to check how healthy uterus was.With laproscopy unless you are going in for a definate problem it is more exploratory and if they find things like cysts and endo they will most likely fix them there and then anything more sinister or requiring your consent will be done at another time.Honestly as ops go t's not bad at all,just give yourself a few days of rest:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Thanks for the advice ladies.

Well I had the op last Monday and I was very nervous, but thank god it all went well. I had a d & c done, a cyst removed and apparently my left ovary is badly puckered due to previous cysts. So I have a follow up appointment in a couple of weeks with my gyno to see what the story is!

I've been recovering quite well. The first 3 days I felt very sick and was vomiting a lot. Not I'm left with just pain at where the incisions where made, cramps in my tummy and I'm still bleeding but I'm happy with that as long as I don't have the sicky feeling again!

Thanks again!

Advertisement