Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV

Options
  • 25-07-2012 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭

Looking to install some CCTV cameras Outside the house .
    Any recommendations ?
    I'd be looking for 2-3 IR VF dome cameras 520TVL - 600 TVL and a DVR
    Will I find a camera that's not IP that will give good detail of faces , car reg ect?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Location of the cameras is the most important thing. 540 TVL is more than enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

What's better a varifocal lens or fixed??

What's better a varifocal lens or fixed??

Varifocal is always better. With fixed you are restricted.

Are there any mini low profile PTZ cams available or would that be a bit over board?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

If you want to read car plates and recognise faces day and night then you'll need to spend a few quid. Have you a budget in mind?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Where are you located?
    Check out some of the suppliers in the sticky here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748
    Condor do some pretty good deals.
    540tvl is good, but the higher the better. So if your getting 600 or higher for a good price go for it.
    PTZ is a bit over kill for residential.

Are there any mini low profile PTZ cams available or would that be a bit over board?

In most cases it is. Not unless your planning to sit in front of the screen 24/7 moving it around to what you want to see :D

PTZ would be for the back as there's a wide area to cover .. I'd be looking at €150 mac per camera excluding the PTZ
    A neighbour has a 600tvl camera installed and to be honest it's not crystal clear . I use to have a cam I got from Argos up at the front and it had nice a clear picture. Got knocked when they were connecting the UPC . ..
    Can anyone recommend a camera they've installed that they'd swear by ?

If you want to read car plates and recognise faces day and night then you'll need to spend a few quid. Have you a budget in mind?

Night time wouldn't be too much of a problem as I have flood lights front , side and back of the house :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

KoolKid wrote: »
    540tvl is good, but the higher the better. So if your getting 600 or higher for a good price go for it.

Anything over 520tvl or 540tvl is wasted as D1 only records at around 520tvl.
    If it purely for observation then go for the higher resolution but some claims of 650 or 700 tvl by some manufacturers are bogus
    The twilights from cctv direct are quite good

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Going on him asking for PTZ I reckon visual is a big part of it.

Clear images are a must!! Haha
    I heard Samsung make a bullet camera thats 380tvl and would give some of the higher TVL cams a run for their money

Advertisement