Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour Looking after dog

• 25-07-2012 11:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭cena

So I just asked our next neighbour if he would let the dog in and out when he comes home from work. Brother well let him out in the morning and put him in before he goes off to a wedding.

The neighbour said the dog goes mad barking when were not around. I have seem him bark at the guy when he is near the fence. But I feel its cause he can't see him cause when he is out the front he has no brother going over to anyone in the estate.

I have brought him an 6x8 shed but he doesn't go into since we have been keeping him in at night.

How should I take this. Should I be worried.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

So the neighbour is basically saying your dog is noisy when you are out?

How long are you out for?

And what breed is the dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭cena

Stheno wrote: »
    So the neighbour is basically saying your dog is noisy when you are out?

How long are you out for?

And what breed is the dog?

Ya that is what I got. He said friday he was barking mad. WE weren't around but the brother tried to get him to his house but he could walk he had twisted his leg while we were gone.

We could be gone to dublin from say 12 to just after 10. But he does be put in around 8 or 9 going by the weather.

He is a ten yr old lab

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you gone regularly for that amount of time and leaving the dog outside?

Stheno wrote: »
    Are you gone regularly for that amount of time and leaving the dog outside?

maybe once or twice a month. But if is rainning we keep him in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

How long is the dog on its own for everyday? How much exercise does he get? Does he have chew toys, kongs etc to keep him occupied? Sounds like the poor dog is bored if you ask me.

• Advertisement

andreac wrote: »
    How long is the dog on its own for everyday? How much exercise does he get? Does he have chew toys, kongs etc to keep him occupied? Sounds like the poor dog is bored if you ask me.

He is never on his own. Someone in the house all the time. He goes walking/ running everyday.

He would never play with any toys we got him. He use to run after a ball when you throw it for him but he just won't do it anymore

cena wrote: »
    He is never on his own. Someone in the house all the time. He goes walking/ running everyday.

He would never play with any toys we got him. He use to run after a ball when you throw it for him but he just won't do it anymore

if he's never on his own why is a neighbour doing the letting in and out

bluewolf wrote: »
    if he's never on his own why is a neighbour doing the letting in and out

where all going away. AND THE BROTHER that would look after him is going to a wedding. Its only at night time as the brother well let him out in the morning and maybe put him back in if the weather is not nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 SpyderCats

Hi :)
    Have I got this right? You are going to be away for the day and you've asked your neighbour to call in to let your dog in and out as a once off favor because you brother, who would normally mind your dog has twisted his leg? I think that is what you mean?

If I am understanding you correctly, then I wouldn't be too worried. It's sounds like your neighbour doesn't want to do it because he is nervous of your dog because as you said he has barked at him once or twice.

Is there anyone else that could check in on your dog? Maybe someone who knows your dog better?

He was out the neighbour last night not a brother with him at all. Dogs leg is fine now. He is a friendly dog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 SpyderCats

I don't understand!! did your neighbour say he would watch your dog or he wouldn't watch your dog? and why are you worried?

SpyderCats wrote: »
    I don't understand!! did your neighbour say he would watch your dog or he wouldn't watch your dog? and why are you worried?

He said he well do it. Just worried he may report ous for the dog barking. HE said its only bad when he is on his own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

But i thought the dog is never on his own?? This thread is very, very confusing???:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

Labradors are attention seekers by nature they love to be a part of everything their family is doing, your dog is just feeling a bit put out and has resorted to barking to let his frustration/sadness out.

Seeing as your neighbor is in work most of the day I'd imagine the dog isn't getting much people interaction on those days you are not home. Of course leaving him inside to keep him quiet wouldn't be the best option for that length when you are not home. Have you tried him with a kong toy? If you mix some of his favorite food/treats into the toy then either freeze it or mix the treats with peanut butter or honey it should keep him amused for a few hours and quiet for that time. Quietness = less P!ssed off neighbors :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

You need to explain this better because you aren't being at all clear. Are you going on holiday for the next few weeks and getting your brother to look after the dog most of the time, but your brother will be at a wedding for a night during the time of your holiday so you asked the neighbour to step in for that night?

Advertisement