Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC - Splitting TV & Broadband Services Before Ingress to House

• 25-07-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a standard UPC Cable TV, Broadband and Telephone. Currently, these services are delivered into the house by way of a coaxial cable attached to a major UPC junction box located under the eaves/soffit of the roof at the front of the house. The house is a semi-d and this major UPC junction can run several cables and it also services the house next door.

The cable runs from this box down the front of the house and then goes into the living room. Once inside the cable goes through a TV/FM isolator located inside a white UPC box attached to the wall. Apparently the isolator protects against power surges.The TV/Data f connector of this isolator is then attached to a two way splitter. This obviously splits the signal and from this one coax runs directly to the UPC TV box and the other to the modem.

As I'm planning to run CAT6 cable from the attic throughout the house (a painful retrofit) I'd like to to be able to split the coax into TV and Broadband signals nearer to the UPC junction box and run one line for broadband into the attic and into the router there and to keep the other line in place to provide cable TV directly into the living room.

Is it legal for me to do this or do I have to try and get UPC to do it?

If I do do it do I have to put another TV/FM isolator above the splitter?

Can I attach the isolator (if needed) and splitter outside (in a box of some description) or should I do this in the attic (which probably makes more sense I guess)?

I've tried to search for this information on this forum and elsewhere to no avail so any assistance would be much appreciated.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 125 ✭✭wishwashwoo

hi mate yes its fine to run any cables you want to in your own house.after all upc dont run cables around the house.if it were me i would get a very good distro amp an 8way should be fine put this in the attic then run rg6 or sat 100 cables to all the rooms that you want to. Get a distro with a digital bypass as this will allow sky digital to pass true it for red eye access in the future if you get rid of upc .anyways run all your coaxial cables to the point you want them and you will be fine if you can run 2 cat6 cables to each point as well for future hd over cat6 better results on cat6 and if you dont use them for hd then you can use them for wired broadband signal trust me if your doing it now put all the cables in place as its a gift in later time cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Hexen

Thanks wishwashwoo

Advertisement