Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Recovery

Options
  • 25-07-2012 11:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

I've a 2tb hitachi drive thats only 3 months old. The drive has failed. I've got that lovely clicking sound. I'm pretty good with computers myself having being working on them for over 15 years, building, working in the industry etc so I'm confident in saying I've exhausted all possible routes for data recovery with the exception of a lab recovery.

I don't need most of the data however there are a few files I need. I've been quoted 1000-1500 for the lab work. I know this is the going price for this kind of work but I was hoping someone might know of somewhere more reasonable that can do this work.

I'm based in Co Cork so local would be best but anywhere will do if they're good and reasonable.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What have you done to recover the data?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Muttly

It's not bring recognised in bios so not much to be done there. I've tried it in an external enclosure in windows, Ubuntu and osx. None of them will recognise the drive. Again, not much I can do there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

You might be lucky that the main board has gone, bios not recognizing drive leads me to that. Try looking for a board for same drive. But check firmware and version compatibility are same, as there can be many versions of same model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Did you try the freezer trick.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

Would the warranty not cover data retrieval?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Usually not.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Ctrl Alt Del

Sorry to hear that...

A data recovery,in a properly designed lab it will start from €400 ex VAT.

At that price,we can work to recover some files or folders that you can indicate you'll need,therefore reducing our working time on the recovery process itself ! I don't expect that you'll need Program Files and/or Windows directories !

Also,please note that future "non-professional" attempts to recover data may actually bring the recovery process to a near impossible to get anything back !

Regards

It's a storage drive. I only need appx 30gb of data from the drive that I know of. Ideally if the main directory list can be supplied as well I can confirm just what I need.

Where are you based?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Have you tried looking at it in linux and running Testdisk/PhotoRec over it?

Though obviously if the data is vital probably safer to pay to get it done professionally.

I tried it in ubuntu and it wasn't showing up. As I said though as its not showing up in the bios I'm very limited.

If it was only a format error or file table problem I'd have the data back the same day. I've been doing that kind of work myself for years. I'm just restricted by the fact that its either a board, head or platter problem. The board side I can try myself but I'd need to get another drive that matches it. The heads or platter are beyond me as I don't have a clean room/lab.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

I too have a failed Hitachi HDD (XL1000). It was used a grand total of three times.

Is this the sound you have, or is yours different?

You seem to have a buzz then a tick. Mine is only the tick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭Firblog

Is it me or do other think that hard drives have really gone to sh*t this last few years?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11 Unlimitedman

The secret is to do as little with the drive when it starts to fail and get the data off it as quickly as possible. If the drive becomes physically unrecognisable then you will need professional help.

Advertisement