Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Internet stops working while downloading or streaming.

• 25-07-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭

What the title says basically.

I threw up a thread about a similar problem I had with this but got no help, except a smart-arse reply telling me to get a decent ISP...

I can't do anything when I'm downloading a single file (it doesn't matter how big it is. It could be 10mb or 10gb or 10bytes!). The internet just doesn't work for me at all. Nothing works. I can't open any web pages without getting an error message saying it is unable to open the page.

I have the exact same problem when I have a video streaming (Youtube etc.). Now, I know what you're probably thinking,

"Why would he want to browse the internet while he's watching a video on Youtube?", in my defence I'll add that when me & my girlfriend are using the internet at the same time, I can't watch any Youtube videos or download anything because it renders her internet browser useless until either of them are finished.

It's a problem I've been facing for the past 2 months now and I have searched high and low for an answer and found nothing similar to the problem I'm having and this is my last hope of getting help for this. It's a nightmare.

It was working perfectly fine before. And before I moved here, my previous broadband gave me no issues, same ISP, same router, same speed.

If it helps, I am with Eircom (there's nothing wrong with them either, I've been with 'em since day 1). But here are some specs;

Zyxel P-660HB-T1A_IPv6 (it says that on the router page)
    DSL Firmware Version: 3.16.3.0_A_TC3086 HwVer:T14.F7_7.0
    My speed is 3074kbps / 384kbps.
    Line Attenuation (D/U): 41 dB / 22 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 30.5 dB / 18 dB

If there is anything else that I will need to add to this info, let me know.
    I hope I can get help for this.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi

What is the spec of your PC or laptop. I ask as this could be a possible cause of your issue and then maybe not. So we need to rule this out first. Other possibilities could be to do with your connection. You mention that you use a router. Is this the one supplied by your ISP or an add on. If an add on then connect you PC/laptop directly to the ISP supplied modem and see what happens. If it works that way then it is your router that is the issue.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Its a Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit..... if that's what you were asking.. lol. I d'know.

The router was sent out by the ISP. But so has every router I've had beforehand. I've been with NTL (2005-2007), Eircom (2007-2010), BT Broadband (2011)(in Scotland), then back onto Eircom when I came back. I've had no problems up until this point. I'm using a Netgear wireless adapter to grab the router's signal. It has been unbelieveable in terms of signal strength. I'm not able to wire it up via Ethernet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Hi Gamercfc

Thanks for your reply and apologies for not replying sooner. Is the Zyxel router you mention in your original post supplied by Eircom? If it is get them to replace it, as it not wifi compliant. The wifi standard 802.11n is much better than the 802.11b/g one which your Zyxel only supports. Most of the newer models come with wifi and a wider bandwith and should potentially resolve your issue. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

Exact same problem as OP. Same modem and with Eircom.

When there is a cable plugged into the laptop (macbook) it works ok. Otherwise downloading a large file stops any web browsing etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

This would be normal behaviour that you simply cannot pull down a file and watch a video unless your on a decent internet connection maybe 8Mb plus.

You router goes off to get the file at full speed then you try to open a webpage or something else and you will simply get timeouts on those pages as your router is flat out getting your file.

The only suggestion is to setup some QOS (quality of service) on your router.
    It will allow you to prioritize your internet traffic.

i.e. you setup VOIP as a more importtant data type thus rendering your internet phone calls e.g. Skype clearer as your router will shut off or minimise web traffic (browsing etc) and allow more VOIP traffic to come through.
    Youll have to google setting it up on your specific router.

N

• Advertisement
Advertisement