Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netgear Wallplugs

Options
  • 25-07-2012 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a couple of wall-plugs that are about 3 years old. They are Netgear XET1001's that are rated for 85 mbs max.

They are next to useless. If I have them in a socket outside the room where the router is, they work ok. Any other room that could be up to 5+ meters away and they are useless. I might get a connection, but they constantly drop.

Are the more modern versions any better or is it a problem with the way my house is wired?

I don't want to spend any more money on these things if they won't do the job.

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭druidhill

I'd recommend a bit of troubleshooting first. To start with:

Is this a recent problem or have they always been like this?
    Try them at another location (with different modem/router), does problem still exist?

I've not used this actual make or model, but I bought several of these down through the years (mainly the 85 Mbps in fact). Plug in and no problems whatsoever. Always found them to be great.

The only issue I've ever had is that they fail typically after a lightning strike - if iirc most of these have their own built-in power surge protection so it is recommended to plug them directly into a wall socket, so they are at risk to that problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

They've always been like that. I bought them to get a wired connection to an Xbox which is about 25m away.

I recently replaced my router with a Belkin and they are the same. There is a utility from Netgear where I can monitor and secure the connection. Unless the second plug is very close, there's either no connection or it keeps dropping.

It's a pity as they would be a great solution if they actually worked. Maybe it's just the wiring in my house, but other people seem to have no problems with them. The house is about 13 years old so I'd doubt there is anything quirky in the wiring.

Thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Are you using a multi socket extension lead on either wall plug. If so, don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,463 ✭✭✭✭Alun

RangeR wrote: »
    Are you using a multi socket extension lead on either wall plug. If so, don't.
    It's really only fancy extension leads with surge protection / RFI suppression that cause big problems. Bog standard ones cause a very slight degradation but not much.

I have a couple of 200Mbps D-Link homeplugs and can see only a very small difference (using the D-Link utility that displays connection speed) between being on a short-ish extension lead and plugged straight in to the wall socket.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Do you have a fancy extension leads with surge protection / RFI suppression? :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,463 ✭✭✭✭Alun

RangeR wrote: »
    Do you have a fancy extension leads with surge protection / RFI suppression? :cool:
    I do, but I don't have my homeplugs plugged into them :cool:

You can get them with a passthrough socket built in but for some reason they cost nearly twice as much which is a bit crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The first think is to unplug everything to see if something is interfering with them.

The other problem you have is they work best if on the same electrical loop. Usually the kitchen, downstairs and upstairs would be on separate loops through the fuse box. I don't really understand the details of that though.

Advertisement