Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fox hunting

• 26-07-2012 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

in the past few years the local ward fox hunt has been using a piece of commonage partially owned by my mother, for their activities. they do not have her permission to do so, (she is v much opposed to it) can they be stopped. the commonage is a piece of bogland that she has turburry rights to. any advice on getting rid of them would be welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

annkelly wrote: »
    in the past few years the local ward fox hunt has been using a piece of commonage partially owned by my mother, for their activities. they do not have her permission to do so, (she is v much opposed to it) can they be stopped. the commonage is a piece of bogland that she has turburry rights to. any advice on getting rid of them would be welcome

I would imagine that as commonage with turburry right she cannot ban them from passing over any more than she can ban anyone from walking or riding over them them....turberry rights unless im mistaken are not land rights they are an entitlement to use the land for turf etc but the ownership of the land itself is not transfered....who owns the land outright? state or a private individual?

I would imagine that it would be a rather expensive matter to pursue as you would need to find a solicitor familiar with turberry rights and who could explain the nuaces of the law and see if there is any small print that would allow her to dictate who can access it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 annkelly

thank you, it is difficult to know who owns the land, i always assumed it was owned by several people but land registry checks cannot locate any owners, just people with turberry rights. does the land comission generally own bogland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I dont think you will have any satisfaction with this. TR can be divided amongst an entire village and multiples within families. You would have to get everybody to agree ; & then Follow it through with the courts & local magistrate. Chances are someone there will be a Member of the hunt or a friend of.

Here was an interesting piece relating to that in the Shell to Sea documentary that came out last year or so :
    " The Pipe". Might be worth netflix-ing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 annkelly

thank you, i agree it could be v expensive to take a case against them and they are better off than me. they all own land themselves but are cute enough not to use their own land in case they damage it or one falls off and sues the landowner. they have no connection with the bog but got permission off one person with tr to use it. i will check out that link, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,972 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Moved from Animals & Pet Issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Fox hunting is not illegal in this country.

Your original post said that the land they were hunting through was commonage: this is not " bog" but common grazing lands.

Your story seems to be changing every time your post is shifted .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

Turburry rights are an easement attached to another separate piece of land which grant the right to cut turf and no more. Such an easement is not a personal right and they do not amount to ownership nor do they allow the owner of the Turburry rights to to restrict access or passage to anyone else.

On the basis that the only interest your mother holds in the land is Turburry she will not be able to prevent the Local Hunt carrying out a lawful activity.

Advertisement