Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St John of God charity standing order

Options
  • 26-07-2012 12:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭

I had a man at my door today collecting for this charity. He wanted me to set up a standing order from my bank and told me that I could cancel whenever I wish. I asked him would he take a donation and he said he could only take the standing order. When I told him I don't give out bank details he said some people give cheques. I told him I wasn't interested he said ok no problem I am only collecting for them but he was clearly p$$$ed off as he left. Did anyone else see him around the Mallow area today was he legit or is he a scam artist?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Laurleen

Hi "Sam" I know Leslie Dean and he is a representative of the Saint John of God Order. Thanks for considering supporting this charity in a time of painful recession for many people. It's a tough job especially these days. In the interest of security and safety reps are asked not to take cash, as cheques can be crossed for safety. He is also calling to thank benefactors who have been supporting for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I can't recall his name. Would he be wearing glasses and drive a renrenualt car?

I read in the corkman today where there are people calling to houses pretending to be from charities and to be on your guard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

I don't know which is more dodgy the charity man or the poster that registers especially to back him up.

Even if he was legit why would anyone give bank details to someone that calls to their door?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

Any legit collecters will have no problem producing ID. They should be offering it before you have to ask for it.
    If someone was at my door without ID, I'd just say no.
    Mind you, I won't give out bank details at the door anyway, it's just not a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Murzie

Had a visit from st John guy before but in a different. Seemed lik a lovely genuine fella but wasn't willing to give my bank details to him at the door. Asked him for a leaflet r something that I could fill out and send off but said he only had the one.... V worth while charity though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

I had a similar experience a while back but offered to give a donation. There is no way I would give out my bank details and absolutely no way I would get involved in a standing order set up.

Advertisement