Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TEFL with no degree?

• 26-07-2012 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I see a thread already on the front page of this forum about teaching English as a foreign language in South Korea, but I notice that all the schools there ask for a bachelor's degree. I didn't get mine so I was wondering are there any other countries where people with TEFL certificates can teach that don't require degrees?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭daesu

Have you at least 2 years study done in University ? Have you any cert / diploma ?

You may be able to teach under a special government program in certain provinces in South Korea without a degree.

Some Korean provinces convinced the Korean government to relax Visa conditions for certain areas because of the demand for English teachers. You would be limited to teaching in public schools in these provinces. I don't know which areas, but an educated guess would be Gangwon-do, Chungcheongbuk-do, Chungcheongnam-do, Jeollabuk-do, Jeollanam-do, Gyeongsangbuk-do, and Gyeongsangnam-do.

This doesn't necessarily mean you'd be in a small town or in the countryside, you could end up in one of the provincial cities such as Jeonju or Muan in Jeolla, for example, but I'd wager it would be the luck of the draw.

Please see here; http://www.talk.go.kr/ (Click on About Talk -> Program details)

You can also check out this (old) advertisement for one of these positions; http://dublincity.olx.ie/teach-engli...l-iid-15214451

You can also get a teaching visa in some provinces in China without a degree but you'd need to check this out yourself. I just know it's possible, i don't know which provinces. You can also work in China on a business visa. It's technically illegal but many schools do (or did) it and I know it was very common a couple of years ago. Not so sure these days.

You can also work in most of South-East Asia without a degree but in most places it's illegal. I've friends who have worked in Thailand for years without a degree on tourist visas.

Vietnam.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

daesu wrote: »
    Have you at least 2 years study done in University ? Have you any cert / diploma ?

You may be able to teach under a special government program in certain provinces in South Korea without a degree.

Some Korean provinces convinced the Korean government to relax Visa conditions for certain areas because of the demand for English teachers. You would be limited to teaching in public schools in these provinces. I don't know which areas, but an educated guess would be Gangwon-do, Chungcheongbuk-do, Chungcheongnam-do, Jeollabuk-do, Jeollanam-do, Gyeongsangbuk-do, and Gyeongsangnam-do.

This doesn't necessarily mean you'd be in a small town or in the countryside, you could end up in one of the provincial cities such as Jeonju or Muan in Jeolla, for example, but I'd wager it would be the luck of the draw.

Please see here; http://www.talk.go.kr/ (Click on About Talk -> Program details)

You can also check out this (old) advertisement for one of these positions; http://dublincity.olx.ie/teach-engli...l-iid-15214451

You can also get a teaching visa in some provinces in China without a degree but you'd need to check this out yourself. I just know it's possible, i don't know which provinces. You can also work in China on a business visa. It's technically illegal but many schools do (or did) it and I know it was very common a couple of years ago. Not so sure these days.

You can also work in most of South-East Asia without a degree but in most places it's illegal. I've friends who have worked in Thailand for years without a degree on tourist visas.

I have three years done in a degree programme before I dropped out. I didn't get awarded anything but a friend of mine did the same and he's entitled to an associate's degree so I might look for that.

My cousin taught out in Thailand and Vietnam and he doesn't have any qualifications beyond the TEFL but I'd be more wary about being picked up and deported. I've heard you can still work with no bachelor's degree in Cambodia so it might be worth a look.

Thanks for the information guys, really appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

I thought you need a degree to work in Vietnam?

You definitely need one to work in Malaysia from what I've read.

I'm in the same sort of boat, only its my girlfriend who doesn't have any degree, and we both are taking the CELTA in January with the intention of heading abroad afterwards to find teaching jobs.

But it seems to be a very mucky area regarding the whole need/don't need a degree thing.

You don't need a degree of you just do tourist visas.. Get a 6 month for $140 and then after that, you can get a 1 year for $240. Almost no schools can get a work permit so 99% of teachers here don't have one.

Celta is more than enough. I've had a Swedish friend with no degree / tefl making $25/hour net.. Most of my friends here dont have anything. Saying that, my degree and 4 week tesol sort helped me get a very highly paid job after I had some experience.

You should fly to Asia and do your celta course in Thailand / Vietnam. More fun and cheaper living costs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

I'm in a similar situation to OP (haven't completed my final year of degree). Wondering which countries would it be possible or more accessible to teach in with either the CELTA or TEFL certificate?

I'm assuming some countries would be more receptive than others to candidates like myself. Since I am open to teaching in any country, could someone recommend the best suited based on potential employment?

I've also see it mentioned above and in other threads about doing the TEFL or CELTA course in the country you intend on teaching in, is that advisable for almost any country?

If it doesn't cost much more, then it's a good idea.. And for some countries, it will be cheaper than doing it in Ireland.

You get a month to make some friends/contacts in a country to find a job for afterwards and the fact you're actually abroad would cause you to be more motivated in the course..
    If I did my course in Ireland, I'd probably make a half arsed attempt but because I did it in the Philippines, I knew that I was going to live in a country like that and had to make it work. And I had an amazing time there while doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Can anyone post some links that to some sites that contain information and advice regarding a person in my situation? I can't seem to get satisfactory information anywhere

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hey, came here to ask about what countries are the handiest for getting a job without a degree.

And also, which certification would be better to get, TEFL or CELTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Teacher23

Hi guys,

Just to let you know, some of the companies that award the TEFL/CELT qualification won't actually give you the certificate until you've shown them your transcripts. I know there was a guy on my course who had a difficult time because he finished university quite sometime beforehand and couldn't get his hands on transcripts. I don't know what happened in the end but the company in question were adamant that they wouldn't give out the certificate without proof of the degree having been completed. This might not be the case for every provider, but I wanted to give you a heads up; CELT courses are generally very expensive and schools usually want to see copies of your certificate before giving you a job.

Best of luck anyway :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement