Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

H1B Approval Timeframe

Options
  • 26-07-2012 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I've had a search through here to see if I could find an answer to this but no luck (so sorry if I overlooked an answer!)

I'm currently on the 12-month J1 and my employer submitted my application for the H1B on April 19th. I have heard literally nothing, and having gone through the papers I have, I don't seem to have the "receipt number" I need to track my application, just a "case number". So, question #1:

-Where do I find my receipt number?

So obviously I'm getting a little anxious about this (my J1 expires in September, which is clearly swiftly approaching and I want to make plans beyond then but I can't, since I very well could be shipped home). I asked my HR manager if there was any news this afternoon, and she said that I would be the first to hear, and that no news is good news. So, questions #2 and #3:

-If things were denied, would I really know at this point?

-Will they give an answer before end-September, as in, will they give my application some kinda priority since my other visa expires then?

I know the process varies from person to person but any insight would be reeeeally appreciated. Thanks guys.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

Hi,

USCIS announced a delay in the issue of acknowledgements receipts so it's possible that this is the problem. It is likely you would know by now if the petition had been rejected.

If your case was handled by a lawyer maybe they could find out an update from USCIS?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 kaz231

Gotcha. That makes me feel a bit better, if there's a delay with other receipts too. I never worked directly with the lawyer for any of this, so don't exactly feel as if I could hit them up about it. I guess it's still a case of just waiting it out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 CopperPipe

You probably shouldn't have heard anything back by now. I applied for mine last September and the first time I heard anything back was in January and that was them requesting more evidence regarding my application. I believe the typical wait time is 60days before you hear anything back but this depends on where the visa is being processed.

You won't get any priority even if your visa is running out. The only way to get any sort of priority is if you apply for premium processing which costs $1,250. When this is applied for the USCIS have to come back to you within 14 days.

One thing you could look into is I've heard of something that you can apply for that will allow you to stay in the country while your visa is being processed. I don't know the ins and outs of this though so I'd consult your lawyer on that one! If you have any more questions feel free to ask! I've been through it all!

Oh yeah and your lawyer should have your receipt number if you haven't got it. Not that much info is gained from this though, it'll more than likely just say that they've received the application and it's in the review stage. When anything changes they'll notify your lawyer straight away.

Thanks for all that CopperPipe! Mind me asking how long after they requested that extra information in January did you get the final go ahead?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭The_Poznan

kaz231/CopperPipe Hi

Sorry if im hijacking the thread now but wanted to ask ye two questions...im heading to States on 12month visa too in Oct but just wanted yer views on the following plz:

A) Is it hard to get work based in Ireland applied for a few jobs but no luck yet...did ye find it a lot easier to source a job when on the ground over there?

B) Is sponsorship a myth or is it a real possibility for majority of people? I see ye both got it...any advice in this regard?

Cheerz Thanks

Hey Poznan,

1) Infinitely easier to source a job when over here. I had only a handful of replies to my applications before I came over. My first week here, with a local address and phone number on my letters, I started getting more responses and ultimately, interviews.

2) I dunno if sponsorship is the case for the majority, but it's not a myth. If you work hard enough and get on well with your employer, might as well bring up the topic a few months in. If they're willing to pay, and keep you on, then you should be able to apply to stick about another few years. That said, its whole waiting game is driving me nuts!

Where are you planning on going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

kaz231 wrote: »
    . If you work hard enough and get on well with your employer, might as well bring up the topic a few months in.

+1 this.

My 12 month IWT visa started on Oct 31 and my employer told me in early January that they would like to file the H1B petition to keep me on.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭The_Poznan

Hey Poznan,

1) Infinitely easier to source a job when over here. I had only a handful of replies to my applications before I came over. My first week here, with a local address and phone number on my letters, I started getting more responses and ultimately, interviews.

2) I dunno if sponsorship is the case for the majority, but it's not a myth. If you work hard enough and get on well with your employer, might as well bring up the topic a few months in. If they're willing to pay, and keep you on, then you should be able to apply to stick about another few years. That said, its whole waiting game is driving me nuts!

Where are you planning on going to?

Cheers for your reply Kaz...thats gr8 to hear that there are opportunities to get sponsored and im willing to work hard so thats not an issue...i guess its just a matter of getting into a company that are willing to sponsor or maybe have a history of doing so :)

I really want to go to Texas for a number of reasons...people are supposed nice, recession free state, warm weather and I guess its somewhere different from the normal spots such as NYC, San Fran etc

What industry do you work in if you dont mind me asking or where u located?

October is probably the best time to go aswell if your hoping to get sponsorship. The openings for H1B's starts in April and if it's approved they get issued the following October.

This way you can arrive out in October work the sh1t out of it and begin processing the H1B in April and then have it by October before your 12 month one runs out! This is obviously only if everything works out! Which isn't always the case with visas!

I'd recommend doing a bit of research into the company you'll be working for as regards sponsorship, not all companies do it. Some companies don't have a clue about it and would need a bit encouragement on your behalf.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all that CopperPipe! Mind me asking how long after they requested that extra information in January did you get the final go ahead?

I got a lot of hassle with mine to be honest and it actually took about 8/9 months in total...probably would have been longer had I not applied for premium processing in the end....!

All got sorted in the end though! Once they got what they were looking for! I think I might have just been a bit unlucky though so I wouldn't use mine as a precedence for your own case!

CopperPipe wrote: »
    I got a lot of hassle with mine to be honest and it actually took about 8/9 months in total...probably would have been longer had I not applied for premium processing in the end....!

All got sorted in the end though! Once they got what they were looking for! I think I might have just been a bit unlucky though so I wouldn't use mine as a precedence for your own case!

Alrighty, if the same happened to me I'd be waiting til December which isn't ideal seeing as I've the end of October to be out of here. Think I'll give it another few weeks then see where I can go with that temporary permit while I'm waiting.
    The_Poznan wrote: »
    I really want to go to Texas for a number of reasons...people are supposed nice, recession free state, warm weather and I guess its somewhere different from the normal spots such as NYC, San Fran etc

What industry do you work in if you dont mind me asking or where u located?

Nice one. Somewhere different is good. That said, I'm in San Francisco ;) Love it though. Working in the digital/tech space - loved CA since a summer J1 I did a few years back and thought SF was best for the industry I wanted to get into.

Advertisement