Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda presence in Coolaney

Options
  • 26-07-2012 2:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Has anybody is Coolaney noticed a huge increase in Garda presence in the Coolaney area lately??? The armed responce unit are patrolling the area over the past number of evenings, anybody know whats going on????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Really? I live in Coolaney and have never seen anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

magnumlady wrote: »
    Really? I live in Coolaney and have never seen anything like that.

No disrespect but one would have to be blind not to have noticed theextra Garda activity in and around the estates in Coolaney as of late.

I don't live in any of the estates and anytime I've been into the village I haven't seen anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sebastianne

That armed response unit car was recently supplied to the Sligo Gardai. It has since been re-stickered as a normal Garda car. It was never operated by the armed response unit in Sligo. For some reason it came from the ARU to the Gardai and they waited a while before taking the decals off and applying the correct ones.

Recent civil disturbances in the village have included two cars being burnt out, and unrest outside a particular individuals home. There was also the Coolaney festival which saw two squad cars in and around the village for that whole weekend.

A couple of the unmarked Garda cars from Sligo also make patrols around the village.

Sorry for the awful formatting, I can't figure out how to make paragraphs. As stupid as that sounds.

It turns out I needed to allow Javascript from b-static.net in order for the formatting to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Ham Sambo

I was thinking there was a more visible presence of Gardaiin Coolaney, if they are patrolling the village in unmarked cars then they obviouslyhave good reason to do so, it is sad really as Coolaney appears to be a nicelittle country village. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭I Need The Sun

I wouldnt get hung up on this. Cops patrol all areas in both marked and unmarked cars. Its what they are paid to do, and it's a good job that they do it.

Re; Coolaney in the past 5, 10 and 15 years. Has the need for a Garda presence increased? Of course it has and dramitically so from what it was. But its not the Bronx, not yet anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sebastianne

Maybe "patrolling in unmarked cars" was putting it too strongly. The odd day I see an unmarked car driving through the village. That's probably a less sensational way to say it.

And as for the reasons, it could be as simple as a detective getting a lift home, or as complicated as anything we'd like to imagine.

The last census said the population of Coolaney increased by 316% from 2006 to 2011. So I'm sure that has something to do with it too.

There was an armed response unit in the village and I heard someone was arrested yesterday. Don't know anything else about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭orlaxxx

sure everyone knows coolaney is a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 1 steviek85

coolaney isnt as quiet as people think.... and they are ARU out there its come to light the last few weeks why......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

orlaxxx wrote: »
    sure everyone knows coolaney is a kip

Ah now, c'mon you can't be saying that...... oh wait I thought you said Collooney, carry on. :D

Actually I haven't being in Coolaney in years, I always though it was grand so it can't have gone down hill that rapidly.

On another note : This is probably an urban myth but I always loved the story about the American Tourist going into The Mountain Inn in Coolaney to use the toilet. There's no one in the bar except the barman who is reading a paper behind the counter. He points out the toilets to the tourist when asked. Tourist does his business and comes out and says to the Barman, "Sir, do you realise you have no lock on the cublicle door".

Barman, without lowering his paper says "I've been working here 26 years and no one has stolen a shíte out of it yet".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Plazaman wrote: »

the American Tourist going into The Mountain Inn in Coolaney to use the toilet. There's no one in the bar except the barman who is reading a paper behind the counter. He points out the toilets to the tourist when asked. Tourist does his business and comes out and says to the Barman, "Sir, do you realise you have no lock on the cublicle door".

Barman, without lowering his paper says "I've been working here 26 years and no one has stolen a shíte out of it yet".

:D

Advertisement