Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recognition to teach

• 26-07-2012 3:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can advise me. I need to make up 20 ECTS of Biology to make up my shortfall to teach it. I am goin nuts as i am searching high and low , it just seems so hard to organise. Its like one minute i think i am sorted but the next i realise is that the great idea i had only gives me 18 ects. I am just getting so tired of this. I have to do modules that are at Level 2 or 3 . Anything with the open university seems to only give me 15 credits but they seem like they could take up all your time and you wouldnt be able to work along side doing these modules. Its very hard to start a course at level 2 or 3 with them when you havent done the course leading up to it at level one. It just seems like an awful lot getting 20 ects. Im going around in circles. Can anyone tell me what they did in the past? What universities did ye study yer modules at etc? Its so annoying that something that seems to be simple is so hard :confused:Anyone any words of wisdom????

Also is it ok that I would just have Biology as my main subject ? And science to junior cert. Is it ok that I don not have another subject?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I am 10 credits short to teach physics. I talked to the physics dept where I did my undergrad and they said I could just register for two modules to make up the credits. The fees office said it would cost €344 per 5 credit course and a €95 levy. It's prob a good idea to get the teaching council to have a look at the modules you want to register for just in case they are not happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Carol2057

Thanks, looks like id have to do 4 modules though! I am looking to do them in Ul. Most biology modules are 6 credits each. So 4 x 6 = 24 so I guess I am looking at doing four modules. Looks like Ul only allow me to do 3 modules in a year, that is what it says on the website. But I am getting in touch with them today to ask them if they would let me do 4 modules. Ill practically be a full time student for the year! Has anyone else did something like this to gain their credits? It looks like i wont be able to work at all , if id have so many modules to do
    Will you just be teaching Physics to LC and science to JC. My major subject would be biology, but I am hoping this would be ok. Like is it really bad to just have one major subject? Do most teachers not have 2?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Biology and Junior cert science would be a pretty good combination. Biology is a popular subject. Sure, the more subjects you have the better but you might get lucky. At any rate, the reality is that there are shag all jobs out there in any subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Why can't you choose two OU modules? Just remember that OU uses a different credit system so 2 OU credits = 1 ECTS credit. If you did two 30-credit modules with the OU you would have 30 ECTS credits done.

60 ECTS credits is an standard university year's workload so 20 credits is very doable while working - especially if you don't have to attend lectures. I have been doing 30 ECTS credits a year with the OU and it's grand - many choose to take 45 - 60 credits.

On the job front - Biology is in many ways the best science subject in that it is the most popular by far at LC. However, there are also more qualified Biology teachers than in other sciences - and also the vast majority of jobs seem to advertise Biology/Science and Maths.

Ya thats exactly what i seem to notice, they want maths and chemistry too when advertising. So i think its a very big gamble for me to take unfortunetely when i dont have another subject. Thanks for reply guys. very helpful

Can i ask you what subject you are studying? I have heard the biology ou moduless are quite nearly impossible. I would need to do them at level 2/ 3. A friend of mine tried it once , had registered and all and she is very brainy but she actually had to drop out (she got her money back). This was a 60 ECTS biology course, she said it was the hardest thing she ever had to do. She is a doctor! I had looked at the material when she had started the course as she wanted some advice and i couldnt make head nor tail of it, it was extremally hard.....So Im very wary of those modules.....(there is also not many to choose from....) it would be a better option indeed, as i woulnt have to give up work, its just theres not that many options with biology modules :(

• Advertisement

I study maths with the OU - I have to do level 2 and 3 courses too.

I see 11 level 2/3 biology modules available at the moment. They seem ok to me, but then I have a biology-related degree.

If you think you would struggle then you may have to do a level 1 course the OU recommend as an introduction to the level 2 course you want, then pick a level 3 course that's based on that level 2 course.

I don't think the OU modules are much different in content or difficulty than any level 2/3 modules from any degree.

Thank you Miss Lockhart , thats interesting to note. Its good to have got someones opinion. Ya i think i could struggle with them, im not sure. I have only studied health biology. I havent done any other type of biology so maybe it would be too much for me...Id love if i could do it though.....Are the ou courses that are 30 credits as apposed to 60 credits easier ? or is there a difference ?

Hate that the Hdip in education is becoming 2 years course now..... But anyway.....if it has to be done, it has to be done....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Out of curiosity, what is your degree in? I don't get how you need to build up your credits to be able to teach biology and that it would be your only subject (with science) if you already have a degree. Or have I misunderstood?

Either way, I'm interested in the outcome. I'm considering doing a few biology modules in the future in order to add biology to my own subjects.

Carol2057 wrote: »
    Are the ou courses that are 30 credits as apposed to 60 credits easier ? or is there a difference ?

60 credit courses involve twice the amount of work as a 30 credit course. So twice the amount of material to be covered and twice the amount of time needed for study per week.

A 60 credit level 2 course is no more difficult than a 30 credit level 2 course - it just covers more material.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nalasmith

Carol2057 Just out of curiosity did you ever get this sorted in the end? as i am in the same position myself. Also wondering if anyone can direct me to the page on the OU website that allows you to see singular modules that you can undertake instead of whole degrees. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Advertisement