Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Theravada Way

• 26-07-2012 7:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭

"When we sit in meditation and hear a sound, we think, 'Oh, that sound's bothering me.' If we see it like this, we suffer. But if we investigate a little deeper, we see that the sound is simply sound. If we understand like this, then there's nothing more to it. We leave it be. The sound is just sound, why should you go and grab it? You see that actually it was you who went out and disturbed the sound." - Ajahn Chah

:pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

Looking for peace is like looking for a turtle with a moustache. You won't be able to find it. But when your heart is ready, it will come looking for you.

Just a few quotes i find simple and uplifting. :pac:

and then
    one day
    one lifetime
    you wake up
    you ask yourself
    this
    all of this
    why?
    for what?

the world is hot
    said the Buddha
    hot and burning
    with the fires of greed
    the fires of aversion
    the fires of delusion
    and human beings
    longing for coolness
    stoke those fires
    again and again
    and again

the furniture may be exquisite
    and the bars of solid gold
    but once the bird realizes
    that the cage is a cage
    it finds within that cage
    no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Patrick83

" You say , "Don't break my glass ! " Can you prevent something that's breakable from breaking ? It will break sooner or later.If you don't break it , someone else will. If someone else doesn't break it , one of the chickens will !
    ... Penetrating the truth of these things , ( we see ) that this glass is already broken ... He saw the broken glass within the unbroken one. Whenever you use this glass , you should reflect that it's already broken. Whenever it's time is up , it will break. Use the glass , look after it , until the day when it slips out of your hand and shatters. No problem. Why not ? Because you saw its brokenness before it was broke !
    Ajahn Chah

"You are your own teacher. Looking for teachers can’t solve your own doubts. Investigate yourself to find the truth - inside, not outside. Knowing yourself is most important" - Ajahn Chah

" Of course there are dozens of meditation techniques, but it all comes down to this - just let it all be. Step over here where it is cool, out of the battle. Why not give it a try? " - Ajahn Chah

• Advertisement

Here`s a nice summation of the Dhamma from Ajahn Sumedho
    " what is it that Buddhas know and that unenlightened beings don`t know ?
    Buddhas know and unenlightened beings don`t know that : all that arises passes away and is not self. "

Kamma is what we do, the only thing we can rely on, not the predictions of fortune tellers.

"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything — all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart."

- Steve Jobs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

stomprockin, what is the point behind this thread?
    This is supposed to be a discussion forum. I see nobody discussing, just you posting up quotes. Give me a reason to keep this thread open.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

It's not the sound of noise that bothers you its you who bothers the sound of the noise so let it be.

• Advertisement

Asiaprod wrote: »
    stomprockin, what is the point behind this thread?
    This is supposed to be a discussion forum. I see nobody discussing, just you posting up quotes. Give me a reason to keep this thread open.

I thought it would be nice idea to have a thread where people could post some of there favorite quotes from various teachers and discuss them if need be, so others can under stand them.

A lot of new people visit here to ask about Buddhism as there only starting to look into it. I thought it would be a nice to have a thread like this so people can take something from it.

I won't be offended if u remove the thread.

Edit : Thread title could be changed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Don't worry, its not about removing it. :)

When you started this thread you jumped right into quotes without explaining why you started this thread; The title also gave no clues. That just turns the thread into a vast repository for quotes. We have the Internet for that.

Think about editing your first post to reflect that concept and there are no potential issues.
    Asia

[Edit] Here is another idea that really would create value. If a person posts a quote, explain what it means to them. Then we can all learn.

How about this quote as a subject for discussion " If you cannot find truth right where you are , then where do you expect to find it ? Dogen ?

To me this means if we want to learn ; we begin by paying attention and bringing alive the simple , mundane activities of our everyday lives

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Patrick83 wrote: »
    How about this quote as a subject for discussion " If you cannot find truth right where you are , then where do you expect to find it ? Dogen ?

To me this means if we want to learn ; we begin by paying attention and bringing alive the simple , mundane activities of our everyday lives

Exactly. Don't expect to find yourself on the other side of the world. You are right here, right now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

I guess on a more esoteric level, if everything is self, there actually isn't anywhere else to look anyway! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Hi, my account was deleted (stomprockin) ? not sure how.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Maysa07

For me this is looking after the present moment as Dharma is always in the present. If you look after the present, everything will look after itself. :)

Advertisement