Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Talk and Broadband Coming This year

• 26-07-2012 9:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭

Deal with BT Ireland done

Link

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Salvation

Going to be rebranded DSL just another provider dont think it will make a great difference speed wise maybe money wise it will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Salvation wrote: »
    Going to be rebranded DSL just another provider dont think it will make a great difference speed wise maybe money wise it will.

Dunno, Vodafone already resell Eircom bitstream at a loss, cheaper than the buy it. They use it as a way to try to get you to move your mobile phone to them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Dunno, Vodafone already resell Eircom bitstream at a loss, cheaper than the buy it. They use it as a way to try to get you to move your mobile phone to them.

Sky is likely to do the same to compete with UPC and get people to move to Sky TV and it's fat margins.

Sky could potentially offer very low prices to do this. It will put pressure on Eircom and will keep UPC on their toes.

Good news anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its good news but looking at comments on places like thejournal.ie people seem to think that Sky will rescue them from Three's Mobile Broadband offering, the sad thing is this won't be happening.

All in all its competition and thats good news, just shame Sky won't have a decent llu network to use in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Cabaal wrote: »
    think that Sky will rescue them from Three's Mobile Broadband offering, the sad thing is this won't be happening.

All in all its competition and thats good news, just shame Sky won't have a decent llu network to use in Ireland

But everybody selling black cars with no choice of colour (aka bitstream) is hardly real competition, pretend competition maybe. Currently BT are limited to approximately 60 exchanges so the LLU coverage footprint is fairly limited all the rest is just reselling the eircom offering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

I wonder if they will be able to offer a similar on demand sevice with it, as they are at a disadvantage competing against UPC in terms of on demand tv. But I thought they would need fibre power to offer on demand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Doubt Eircom's creaking infrastructure would be able to cope with thousands of Sky TV customers streaming on demand content,maybe in the 60 BT LLU exchanges they'll offer it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,882 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Doubt Eircom's creaking infrastructure would be able to cope with thousands of Sky TV customers streaming on demand content,maybe in the 60 BT LLU exchanges they'll offer it.

I now have UPC since I moved and previously had Sky for years.

Their broadband offering is superb, but the only thing I've watched "on demand" with UPC was the first season of Ice Road Truckers and aside from the limited selection and overly high premium for movies, the interface/responsiveness of the system wasn't great...

But besides that (could be teething problems as it IS a new offering after all), it doesn't matter if you have the best delivery system in the world if you don't have the content to match and I'd imagine THAT is where Sky will win seeing as they have the rights to almost everything these days.

What will hold them back though is the eircom infrastructure so really I actually expect not much to change in the medium term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

You can put lipstick On a pig, but it's still a pig. Sky will just have the same infrastructure which is crap and dress it up with package deals.

I asked this in another forum but maybe someone can answer it here better? Could sky not have bought Eircom? Then they could really challenge UPC

Headshot wrote: »
    You can put lipstick On a pig, but it's still a pig. Sky will just have the same infrastructure which is crap and dress it up with package deals.

I asked this in another forum but maybe someone can answer it here better? Could sky not have bought Eircom? Then they could really challenge UPC

There was no point buying Eircom until the debt is gone

• Advertisement

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    There was no point buying Eircom until the debt is gone

So never then ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

Even if they bundle in free bb with my sky tv package i'd still pay for UPC bb, no way am i going back to dsl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Belfunk wrote: »
    Even if they bundle in free bb with my sky tv package i'd still pay for UPC bb, no way am i going back to dsl.

Not everybody can get UPC broadband ... some cannot even get DSL - be thankful for what you have! :D

Have Sky and Vodafone DSL - so the news should be good news for me!

keith_d99 wrote: »

Have Sky and Vodafone DSL - so the news should be good news for me!

Sadly it won't make a blind bit of difference in all likelihood, if you can't get broadband now you still won't be able to get it in the future unless BT suddenly build out their LLU offering to 100's of more exchanges, which seems unlikely.
    Just to put it in perspective...there are 1200 exchanges and BT have LLU in just 60 exchanges, perhaps BT might launch from a few more exchanges but that will only be in major urban areas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

bealtine wrote: »
    Sadly it won't make a blind bit of difference in all likelihood, if you can't get broadband now you still won't be able to get it in the future unless BT suddenly build out their LLU offering to 100's of more exchanges, which seems unlikely.
    Just to put it in perspective...there are 1200 exchanges and BT have LLU in just 60 exchanges, perhaps BT might launch from a few more exchanges but that will only be in major urban areas

Can get DSL - only change for me will be price hopefully (which is what I meant).

Don't expect any change in speeds/service unless there is investment in my local exchange as you say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I have a house phone and 2 mobiles. I get a talk time package from eircom and free talk to the family with vodafone.

I cannot see no matter what provider comes in how i can get better while eircom owns the infrastructure.

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Can get DSL - only change for me will be price hopefully (which is what I meant).

I can't see that happening either, Comreg set the price for line rental supposedly to allow eircom to recover their costs and probably cover the mountain of debt they owe. Examinership really didn't address that issue to any great extent.

The line rental is currently E26+ so I can't see a lot of room for price reductions from any bitstream provider

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

Just after reading the following on breakingnews.ie comments section about this launch ,

Not a chance I say :

214763.png

lol such a spoofer

Just after reading the following on breakingnews.ie comments section about this launch ,

Not a chance I say :

214763.png

Sad thing is that a lot of people will believe such spoofing!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

lol such a spoofer

I know , but once its out there it will be believed !

I can see it now , one of the lads telling me about this new Sky satellite broadband system over the weekend !

what deals do they have for broadband and tv packages in UK. does anyone know ?

Might give us an idea what they may offer us

Not a chance I say :

214763.png

What a load of marketing BS. You cannot defeat the laws of physics captain.

what deals do they have for broadband and tv packages in UK. does anyone know ?

Might give us an idea what they may offer us

http://www.sky.com/shop/broadband-talk/

Saw that alright but as far as I can see it doesnt include tv ?

Do they even offer a broadband plus tv deal?

Saw that alright but as far as I can see it doesnt include tv ?

Do they even offer a broadband plus tv deal?

They surely do,that's the reason the offered bb to begin with,to try and counteract Virgin Media's triple play offerings in the UK:

http://www.sky.com/shop/bundles-offers/build-your-bundle/

If it's satellite why would they need BT? :confused: Some amount of BS being spouted here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

This roll out will lead to Sky's on demand service (Anytime +) being rolled out here too later this year I'd imagine.

If somthing goes wrong with your broadband but sky doesnt own your exchange, how does the repair work?

• Advertisement

Same way it works currently if you have BB with Vodafone etc,you complain to them and they get Eircom to sort the problem out.

Advertisement