Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Talk and Broadband Coming This year

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,057 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Its at times like this that I realize ( and am thankful ) just how good the UPC BB service is...and how, unfortunately, other posters have to persevere with the alternatives. The thought of having to revert back....jesus, doesn't bear thinking about :o

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

So the lad says he is a trial user of this wonderful satellite broadband :D

214776.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Unless the extra piece of equipment that you attach to your Sky dish is a UPC cable modem or an Eircom ftth modem then he's lying!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

There was me wishing and hoping id be finally away from eircom.
    I had hoped such a big operator would build its own exchanges, more fool me :(
    Im sick to death of eircom, im still on 3mb dsl, apparently my line can take 7mb but also apparently latency will be poor :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Dcully wrote: »
    Im sick to death of eircom, im still on 3mb dsl, apparently my line can take 7mb but also apparently latency will be poor :(

Amen to that

I live beside the eircom exchange but can only do 3mb because they dont want to update the exchange. My line is cable of doing 10+ mb no bother

I truly hate eircom and some day ill get my wish that they'll bought out by a reputable company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Unless the extra piece of equipment that you attach to your Sky dish is a UPC cable modem or an Eircom ftth modem then he's lying!!

Leaving out the BB - everything for €40? I don't think so...........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,571 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im wondering how can sky make a profit out of this, when you consider the line rental ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭7upfree

Headshot wrote: »

Amen to that

I live beside the eircom exchange but can only do 3mb because they dont want to update the exchange. My line is cable of doing 10+ mb no bother

I truly hate eircom and some day ill get my wish that they'll bought out by a reputable company

My boyfriend lives across the road from the exchange and is paying for 3mg broadband lucky to get .2mg at the best and that's when it decides to work. The funny thing is when it's down while ringing the support desk before getting to anyone it magically comes back on. There's is absolutely nothing wrong with the line according to them. looks like he'll be getting 3 mobile broadband as where he lives it is actually faster than the eircom broadband.

It should be like Canada and there should be a regulation that if you are offering something to the public you should have to make if available to the country as a whole not just the built up areas. But sure this government and previous governments don't have a clue they can't get the major problems sorted the broadband offering to people outside the major built up areas is never going to change not anytime in the near future anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

Sky if they do set up here in this country and offer internet. Their internet-exchanges most likely will be located within city area destinations. Eircom, Digiweb, UPC their main exchanges are only found in city areas or very large towns.

Its one of the reasons why the DSL broadband signal to rural areas is so bad at times and be below par. DSL exchanges should by right be located outside of these city areas for people still using DSL to have better pings and latency. Its not going to happen though.

Sky mostly will sell DSL and cable. I can't see them offering higher speeds than whats been already offered by Eircom. Eircom pretty much control who gets DSL in this country and they can charge other providers for using their service. Broadband for Rural Ireland will never get better as long as they have complete control on how things go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Sky won't be setting up any exchanges, They have entered a deal with BT so they will only use the BT LLU exchanges and all the rest will be probably be eircom bitstream, if they bother with that route...

• Advertisement

Another provider would have to invest heavily in rural Ireland to upset the apple card when it comes to Eircom. Eircom, has no fear of losings its customers currently, their isn't a better service there, that's just the reality of it. If there was a choice people wouldn't be complaining about Eircom so much, they would have just switched over to a better provider by now.

bealtine wrote: »
    Sky won't be setting up any exchanges, They have entered a deal with BT so they will only use the BT LLU exchanges and all the rest will be probably be eircom bitstream, if they bother with that route...

Still in city areas though i would think. So their signal likely is not got to be all that better than what is currently there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

Still in city areas though i would think. So their signal likely is not got to be all that better than what is currently there.

Sky have nothing to do with it...it's BT and they have equipment in 60+ exchanges out of 1200 exchanges.

So in a way you are right it is only city areas...

Advertisement