Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do the council let the water out?

Options
  • 26-07-2012 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Hi Folks

Does anyone know why the council periodically go around to some of the stop-cocks around the edges of the town and let loads of water out for a couple of hours?

Most recent was just beside the turn from the mall to the main entrance of the hospital earlier this week. (opposite power-right security and just a bit further on URL="https://maps.google.ie/maps?ll=54.274008,-8.461432&spn=0.000278,0.00071&t=h&z=21&iwloc=near"]GoogleMap[/URL)

I have seen this occurring in other towns around the country as well and always wondered what the reason was

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

They are opening scour valve to get debris or sediment out of pipeline. As there was a burst main on the mall it would have been necessary. This can be done periodically as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EamonOC

They've been receiving letter and phone complaints about the disgraceful condition of drinking water - it's basically brown/rusty - so instead of actually tackling the problem by laying new pipes, they stand around for a couple of hours while thousands of gallons of water are let out of the system. Makes no difference. Efficiency my arse!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Maybe they should get you in charge. And how exactly will new pipes help? Where is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

EamonOC wrote: »
    They've been receiving letter and phone complaints about the disgraceful condition of drinking water - it's basically brown/rusty - so instead of actually tackling the problem by laying new pipes, they stand around for a couple of hours while thousands of gallons of water are let out of the system. Makes no difference. Efficiency my arse!:(

Yes! Lets spend lots of money laying new pipes before we use the methods that are put in place to try and rectify the problem. It could take a few attempts to clear the system. Water is perfect over here (Kevinsfort area) where is this brown water?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 EamonOC

Mostly on the northside of Sligo town, especially around Connaughton rd and the Hill. They're turning it off all day tomorrow to see if the problem can be tackled and rectified. I referred to new pipes simply because much of the system is antiquated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Razleavy

EamonOC wrote: »
    Mostly on the northside of Sligo town, especially around Connaughton rd and the Hill. They're turning it off all day tomorrow to see if the problem can be tackled and rectified. I referred to new pipes simply because much of the system is antiquated.

Ah fair enough. Hopefully it will be sorted out for you soon :)

Advertisement