Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's Pat?

Options
  • 26-07-2012 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Anyone seen Pat Ingoldsby lately? Ever since starbucks opened there I haven't seen him on Westmoreland Street at all Selling his poetry? Has he relocated to elsewhere?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

+1
    I have been wondering. Hope he's ok. Does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Was just wondering that the other day,strange not seeing him there anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Saw him wandering about in Howth last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

tricky D wrote: »

Used to live off Vernon ave clontarf, probably still does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Yep, he was selling his wares down on the East Pier last Friday afternoon, I saw him there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

Yes, he's in Howth for the summer !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Same. I miss seeing him around there. Looks like I'll have to make a trip to Howth soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Saw him in Nolans supermarket on Vernon Ave last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

does he live off selling those books?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Not 100% sure, I do know he uses his sales of the books to fund the production of his next ones. Wasn't he working for RTE as a host for a kids show? Probably doesn't have much expenses/ saved a bit.

In saying that, he probably sells a few books every day and westmoreland street was a perfect place for him to do it. Wonder what he'll do after the summer when howth isn't busy anymore.

• Advertisement

Crow92 wrote: »
    Not 100% sure, I do know he uses his sales of the books to fund the production of his next ones. Wasn't he working for RTE as a host for a kids show? Probably doesn't have much expenses/ saved a bit.

In saying that, he probably sells a few books every day and westmoreland street was a perfect place for him to do it. Wonder what he'll do after the summer when howth isn't busy anymore.

you do not make a fortune from selling books unless you print a few million copies and it proves to be a bestseller. maybe he does live frugally and on his earnings from Pats chat.

I'm suggesting he had the money when working for rte, bought his house when he was well paid and probably saved money too. But yea I'd say he's just getting by and doing what he loves.
    I remember when I was younger I though he was a homeless man, the OH loves his books and chats to him whenever she see's him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

He's an OAP and does live Frugally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Spotted him in Fairview on Sunday evening, with his trolley of books, just shooting the breeze with passers by. Hasn't changed in 30 years

in fairness to the guy he is not up his own hole and gives everyone the time of day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I still get a bit star struck when I see him :o

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

I think you have a unrealistic view of celebrity in Ireland if you think you can live on the earning of a never repeated childrens TV show made 25 years ago

I believe the house in clontarf is his family home, his parents have both passed away,

I'm going to guess he lived a pretty simple life on social welfare/and or pension (probably disability, you will notice one side of his body is pretty useless) and the small amounts of money he gets selling books

He spent time in a psychiatric hospital in the late 80s, early 90s and had shock treatment more than once

BTW the way none of this is gossip or rumours, it's all in his poems

To be completely honest, I don't care about the finer details of how Pat owns his house on vernon avenue and how he get's by, it's not my business. I'm only young, don't know him as the host of a kids programme, didn't know if he worked there for 1 year or 15 year.

I know and like the man for his poetry and wanted to know where he was as I haven't seen him in over 3 months and despise the fact that starbucks opened at his spot.

well he has many spots around the city, so don't get too upset that he lost one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

A bit off the wall but a lovely fella. Have seen him around the place a bit of late. I recall one journey home on a packed Dart where everyone was cold and tired with not a sound in the carriage where Pat gave us all a big lecture on the lost art of conversation. Actually worked a bit and people started to natter a bit. Pat's Chat Roadshow!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

maybe he's off getting anger management classes. ive never met a more grumpy man

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

FensterDJ wrote: »
    I believe the house in clontarf is his family home, his parents have both passed away,
    FensterDJ wrote: »
    BTW the way none of this is gossip or rumours, it's all in his poems

If you knew his poems that well you would know he grew up in Malahide. That's his house in Clontarf. To answer the original op, as others have pointed out he is selling his books in Howth at the moment.

MardiB wrote: »
    If you knew his poems that well you would know he grew up in Malahide. That's his house in Clontarf. To answer the original op, as others have pointed out he is selling his books in Howth at the moment.

It's an Ingoldsby trivia off!!! I did say "I believe" I was refering more to the mental health issues

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

Yes, saw him selling books on the pier a few weeks ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

He has a website too with some background about him http://www.patingoldsby.com/

I remember him for many years outside Bewleys on Grafton Street.

On the website is this poem (by his father) which I thought fitting for this forum
    DA’S POEM

I am Anna Liffey.
    From the high hills of Wicklow do I come
    And gently make my way to Dublin and the sea.
    I am Anna Liffey...I pass through fertile fields
    and ever changing skies...on my way to Dublin
    and the sea.
    I am Anna Liffey. Dublin is my city.
    Grown from settlement of Norse and Norman.
    City of history, city of sadness, proud city.
    I am Anna Liffey. Dublin - town of the Hurdles.
    Dublin - City of Laurence O'Toole,
    of Silken Thomas, of Tone and Emmett
    and of Pearse.
    Dublin - You are my Fair City.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Saw him on O'Connell Bridge a few days ago. Somebody was chatting to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

I've seen him recently at one of his regular spots, the one at College Green outside the bank. I seen him during July on Howth Pier too. He moves around quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Sorry for the bump but didn't see the point in starting a new topic, has anyone seen him over Xmas/where he is currently pitched up selling his books? Always like to grab one when I'm back home but haven't seen him around town.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

He was on College Green/Westmoreland street recently. I think it was the Friday before Christmas but I can't remember exactly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Yes myself and a friend were talking to him at the railings of Bank of Ireland on Westmoreland Street there one evening before Christmas, possibly a week or more before Christmas. He'd had his best sales of the year on that day and was in great humour :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement