Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Listening to mobile phone internet radio through car radio

Options
  • 26-07-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Don't know if this should be in here or a gadget/mobiles forum but I have a question for anyone in the know. Basically I have a Volvo XC60 and a Blackberry Torch. I live abroad and want to listen to intenet radio through the phone via the car radio. There is a usb connection and a jack available directly to the radio. The USB connection does not seem to work this comes with the phone it charges the phone and plays podcast downloads. It seems to me it needs a cable with a plug at each end. To go into where the earphones go and into plug hole to the radio.

Anyone have any ideas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Any mobile phone shop or electronics shop will probably have what you need.
    Yeah - it's just a 3.5mm male to male (or jack to jack) stereo cable. But you might get odd looks going in asking for that - just describe what you want to use it for!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Montjuic

Thanks very much Langdang any brands in particular or anything will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

Bluetooth would be a better option if your radio supports it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Any brand will do. You might even find them in the €2 shop if your lucky.

I've bought them off dealextreme before but delivery can be 3-4 weeks.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/3-5mm-audio-jack-connection-cable-1-5m-5115?item=14

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

OSI wrote: »
    Bluetooth audio quality is usually pretty poor, and most car bluetooth units do not support the A2DP protocol which is needed to stream music, and I wouldn't be too sure the Blackberry does either.

I wouldnt say its poor. I connect my Samsung Galaxy S to Sony bluetooth unit and play audio. Quality is perfect, many people have commented how crystal clear it is. Also I can control audio through car unit (pause, change track, etc)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Montjuic wrote: »
    Thanks very much Langdang any brands in particular or anything will do?
    They're mostly generic, or have a large price markup to account for being branded.
    For internet radio from a mobile, through aux input to a car radio, I don't think you'll need a super high quality branded item.

As marty said - bluetooth through some carkits / radios is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

OSI wrote: »
    martyc5674 wrote: »
    Bluetooth would be a better option if your radio supports it??

Bluetooth audio quality is usually pretty poor, and most car bluetooth units do not support the A2DP protocol which is needed to stream music, and I wouldn't be too sure the Blackberry does either.

Bluetooth audio is absolutely perfect over a car stereo, have used it for a good few years on a Sony Ericsson and now iPhone for belting out the tunes.

My iPhone will play anything via Bluetooth to the pretty basic jvc stereo that's in my car. In fact it also worked perfect on a lidl stereo too in mh last car, both stereo and phone would be 5 years old by now so not exactly new technology either.
    Marty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Older Bluetooth was limited to 128kbps.

Newer A2DP bluetooth for audio streaming is limited to 768kbps, this is more than twice the sampling rate of any 320kpbs downloaded mp3/aac music so you will see no degrading of the track when played via A2DP

Advertisement