Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bankers Bonus Bill

• 26-07-2012 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Not exactly going after the high flyers is it? Is banking suddenly the only industry where you can make 60k and get a bonus of a grand??

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0726/1224320829139.html
    Mr O’Dea said the Credit Institutions Stabilisation Amendment Bill 2012, which he dubbed “the Bankers’ Bonuses Bill”, would restrict bonuses of more than €1,000 to bank employees on basic salaries of more than €60,000. “Banks played a very, very significant role in the economic destruction of this country over the last 10 to 15 years. Basically what I’m trying to do is I’m trying to ensure that bankers who get bonuses actually earn those bonuses,” he said.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

**** boners bill

Is it really a bad thing to reward someone for doing their job properly. As long as it done properly of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭rn

Was the banking crisis significantly contributed to by giving bonus's to staff earning under 60K?

How this bill addresses the poor performance of the boards of directors of the bank and how all those directors failed in their duties to protect the shareholders by allowing the banks management to lobby and benefit from less and less government regulation would be more news worthy.

rn wrote: »
    Was the banking crisis significantly contributed to by giving bonus's to staff earning under 60K?

How this bill addresses the poor performance of the boards of directors of the bank and how all those directors failed in their duties to protect the shareholders by allowing the banks management to lobby and benefit from less and less government regulation would be more news worthy.

Wouldnt that be a case of shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

The damage has already been done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

rn wrote: »

The restriction applies to those earning *over* 60K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

their bonuses should be left alone but taxed at 99%, that way more money will be taken in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Yet another reason why the Irish fanancial sector is doomed.

Every major company pays bonuses. By limiting the bonus a bank can pay they will either have to pay higher salaries, or employ a much lower quality of staff because they wont be able to compete.

The problem was unjustified high bonuses at senior levels costing millions for a couple of people. Not the guys getting paid 60k+ who got a 10% bonus for working 60 hour weeks without overtime.

But of course our government wouldn't attempt to do something intelligent like more stringent oversight into why high paid employees earned their bonus, instead they'll pick a random number and put on a blanket cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Stupid move.

60k is not a great salary for someone in finance and if you limit bonuses you will only end up pushing the better workers out of the sector or abroad leaving an even worse bunch of cowboys running it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

jester77 wrote: »
    Stupid move.

60k is not a great salary for someone in finance and if you limit bonuses you will only end up pushing the better workers out of the sector or abroad leaving an even worse bunch of cowboys running it.

why is 60k not a bad salary for an industry that failed......

except for a stupid government decision.....these company's went broke....

and they are still a failed industry.......a charity case, except people are forced to pay for them.....

have they no shame.........lots of people paying for them earn less....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

why is 60k not a bad salary for an industry that failed......

except for a stupid government decision.....these company's went broke....

and they are still a failed industry.......a charity case, except people are forced to pay for them.....

have they no shame.........lots of people paying for them earn less....

Competition.
    Do you want your money being handled and invested by someone highly qualified, or the cheapest person available?

Instead of capping earnings of mid-level employees, they should be trying to make sure that people aren't being given bonuses they havent earned, not ensuring people who do genuine extra work to deserve a bonus cant get one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭boo3000

Wouldnt that be a case of shutting the door after the horse has bolted.

The damage has already been done

Agreed I think we need to start making an example of the bankers to ensure other groups don't step outta line to the same extent again.

Obviously our government or legal system isn't up to it

Anybody up for starting a banker vigilante group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

“Banks played a very, very significant role in the economic destruction of this country over the last 10 to 15 years."

Thats a pretty ironic quote coming from a former Fianna Fail cabinet minister.

What about your pension Willy?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

The Title Rhymes Too much for me to take you serious!

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Is it really a bad thing to reward someone for doing their job properly. As long as it done properly of course
    It's not a bad thing, but this just puts a ceiling that you have to reach before you get a bonus.

Higher earning doesn't equal actual productivity. It usually means you've worked there the longest and have a relevant degree (possibly).
    Whether they understand their degree subject (or if their degree subject is even finance-related) is a moot point.

I'd hope/wish most did, but experience says most don't.

grindle wrote: »
    It's not a bad thing, but this just puts a ceiling that you have to reach before you get a bonus.

Higher earning doesn't equal actual productivity. It usually means you've worked there the longest and have a relevant degree (possibly).
    Whether they understand their degree subject (or if their degree subject is even finance-related) is a moot point.

I'd hope/wish most did, but experience says most don't.

True enough but shouldnt a bonus reflect a standard of performance that exceeds expectations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

True enough but shouldnt a bonus reflect a standard of performance that exceeds expectations

Definitely, but it's become common practice to offset or offload a negative balance by borrowing or pushing the debt to the next year.
    All of a sudden this year's a winner! Woo, bonuses all round!

I'm not a banker, or a banking regulator (hmmm... Who is?), so I can't say if they're keeping a closer eye on things nowadays or not, but I'd have my doubts judging from the dearth of dismissals/court cases, continuous passing of the buck, and all the usual rhetoric from banking powerhouses ("You've got to pay for talent to stay!" Really? The same über-talented financial geniuses that spewed bile and blood at those who said "Recession's coming."? Those? You want to keep them?)
    Apparently they're the right guys for the jobs... I guess.

Maybe I'm too skeptical. :pac:

Advertisement