Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorbike Bluetooth communicators

• 26-07-2012 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I was looking at the midland BT Next and the scala rider G9. Anyone have any experience or opinions on these or recommend another ? It's for the wife and myself for going out on our little spins.

Darren.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Darmanted wrote: »
    I was looking at the midland BT Next and the scala rider G9. Anyone have any experience or opinions on these or recommend another ? It's for the wife and myself for going out on our little spins.

Darren.

I have no experience with either but the range should Be an important factor.
    You don't want to be out of contact if one strayed away a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...on the one bike, as rider + pillion, or two separate bikes ?

I have an old Autocom system, and a Scala with a TomTom system - pluses and minuses to both, tbh......

Autocom
    + Quality of speech
    + Vox operated, speed sensitive, auto mute for other devices
    + Price
    + Service from Autocom, generally
    - Cables !
    - Not too easy if you have more than one bike, to move it to another. Don't get me wrong, it's not hard.......but it's a conscious thing you have to do.
    - Connections of multiple devices can be challenging, space-wise: say, GPS, Audio/MP3, Two-Way, Phone.
    - Separate headset for every helmet you own.

Scala BT with Tom Tom Rider
    + Quality of phone conversations
    + No cables !
    + If you have more than 1 helmet, easy to move.
    - Every now and then, the BT connectivity goes a bit........odd
    - Uptime on a charge.
    - Don't ever forget your charger !!
    - Price
    - Not so sure about backup - you can't just lift the phone to someone if you have an issue, really

As simple, effective communicators for Rider - Pillion, both are good.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Darmanted

Thanks for the replys guys, we're both on separate bikes, so connection distance will be a consideration, I'm also having a look at the interphone f5 now, it's a bit expensive but seems to have a lot of features. Galwaytt, thanks for that breakdown, it's very well done, are you happy with your current system, if you were going for one now from scratch, what do you think you'd go for ?
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

I have an Interfone F4, and it does the job for us.
    We are on the same bike, so can't coment too much on what it would be like on two bikes.

The thing I like about it is that there are no wires that you have to connect to the bike. We have not had a problem with battery life, we have had it on for 8 hours without the battery dying. Yes, you have to remember the charger, for us it goes in a pouch in the topbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Darmanted

hi P.C.
    do you find the F4 loud enough ? some reviews on the F5 complain that the volume is too low. not sure if its worth the extra cash for the F5 over this either ?

Cheers,
    Darren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Darmanted wrote: »
    hi P.C.
    do you find the F4 loud enough ? some reviews on the F5 complain that the volume is too low. not sure if its worth the extra cash for the F5 over this either ?

Cheers,
    Darren.

I have my volume well below max, so yes, I do find it loud enough.

The clarity is good up to 100 km/h. And you can just communicate at 120 km/h.
    Generally speaking I am too busy concentrating on the road st 120 km/h, and don't want to chat at that speed. All she needs to hear is 'hang on' then she knows I am either going to overtake or get on the brakes.

Advertisement