Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

I really can. All electronic dance is awful. Hard house, trance, rave etc... it goes on and on. It's all tripe. Dead, soulless tripe.
    But again, this isnt about my opinion on dance music

you sound like my 60 year old neighbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

I really can. All electronic dance is awful. Hard house, trance, rave etc... it goes on and on. It's all tripe. Dead, soulless tripe.

Do you like soulful house?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Sky King wrote: »
    Don't mix up a DJ with a turntabilist.

Anyone can learn to beatmatch and mix in a couple of days. Turntabilism like below takes years, like any musical instrument.

That kind of thing I really like, I really like King tubby too. But when I hear the word DJ, in Ireland at least it means guy who plays chart music in a nightclub. Those people are usually exclusively dickheads that seem to despise good music.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Lumbo wrote: »
    Do you like soulful house?

I ahve no idea, but unless it has actaul instruments and lyrics I doubt it. But really, for the last time, this is not about anyone's opinion, least of all mine, of dance music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

do you like hans zimmer's work, just out of curiousity?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I ahve no idea, but unless it has actaul instruments and lyrics I doubt it. But really, for the last time, this is not about anyone's opinion, least of all mine, of dance music.

I'd bet if you were around in the 60's you'd be referring to the The Beatles as 'devil music'

es-cee wrote: »
    you sound like my 60 year old neighbour.

Because I like real instruments and lyrics and songs with meaning?
    Or is it because you're one of these arseholes who has his speakers thumping at 4.30am of a wednesday morning while you and your friends are pilled out?
    You'll find that will get on the tits of many people of all ages.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    I'd bet if you were around in the 60's you'd be referring to the The Beatles as 'devil music'

eh, no! The devil has all the best tunes and The Beatles are ****e

Helix wrote: »
    do you like hans zimmer's work, just out of curiousity?

Is that the bad guy from the first Die Hard? Yeah, he's class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Or is it because you're one of these arseholes who has his speakers thumping at 4.30am of a wednesday morning while you and your friends are pilled out?

Why Wednesday morning?

• Advertisement

Not everyone who likes dance music has to listen to it really loud, or at 4am.
    You sound like you are living in one room of your house, peeping out of the curtains.
    That's a type of person does that, blame them not the music.

Is that the bad guy from the first Die Hard? Yeah, he's class

no he's the musician who's scored things like inception, nolan's batman trilogy, gladiator etc

nolan's batman trilogy,
    Careful now!
    You don't want him going on another rant.

none of the above, i simply stated that you sound like my 60 year old neighbour, which you do. i like all music myself, and electronic is just one of those styles.
    i'm 29 years of age btw, i don't be awake at 4.30am, much less pounding out "rave" with my mates, while pilled out of it.
    i find it laughable however, how someone with absolutely no knowledge on a given subject, still seems to make their voice heard, when it's blatantly clear to everyone around them, they haven't a clue what they're talking about.

eh, no! The devil has all the best tunes and The Beatles are ****e

This part in bold tells me all I need to know about you

none of the above, i simply stated that you sound like my 60 year old neighbour, which you do. i like all music myself, and electronic is just one of those styles.
    i'm 29 years of age btw, i don't be awake at 4.30am, much less pounding out "rave" with my mates, while pilled out of it.
    i find it laughable however, how someone with absolutely no knowledge on a given subject, still seems to make their voice heard, when it's blatantly clear to everyone around them, they haven't a clue what they're talking about.

Funny, cause I find it laughable that someone would give out to me for making generalisations about something I know nothing about while making presumptions on my personality from the fact I dont like dance music.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

The OP is failing big time here.

Because I like real instruments

what do you mean by real instruments? what's the difference between a piano, a guitar, and a synth?

what do you mean by real instruments? what's the difference between a piano, a guitar, and a synth?

He's going to say, that a synth was man made.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

Being a talented musician is separate from being a DJ. A pair of decks or whatever isn't an instrument so a DJ could be a talented musician but not by being a DJ but by being a good instrumentalist. In simpler terms a DJ is only a musician if he is in fact a musician.

I would consider a DJ a skillful artist if he produces his own tracks to a high standard but again this involves the process of musical creation so isn't relevant to playing records.

Of course being a DJ could involve none of the above and still be decent at what he does, so it might be a bit demeaning to say they can only push play, although there are examples of this!

flyswatter wrote: »
    A pair of decks or whatever isn't an instrument

tell that to kid koala

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Question for those of you in the know, if I, a guitarist/drummer with years of experience playing but with zero experience with the whole electronic scene wanted to get started in it, where would I need to begin? I know my way around a mixing desk from observing sound engineers doing their thing, mixing my demos etc. But as far as decks, vinyls, whatever I'd be fair clueless how to go about it.

Always fancied the idea of putting an electronic spin to some of my music, which is mainly rock, metal and blues, but I'd rather learn how to do it properly rather than just going out and buying a bunch of equipment and making a balls of it.

Have a mate who's a dj, not his job, just for the craic and I've always been stood there beside him watching him at it while he attempts to explain what exactly is going on. I learnt a fair bit but want to figure it out for myself.

A pair of decks or whatever isn't an instrument s

Rubbish. A cardboard box is an instrument, a metal tin is an instrument, a plastic ruler is an instrument. If you can make original music with it, it's an instrument

Question for those of you in the know, if I, a guitarist/drummer with years of experience playing but with zero experience with the whole electronic scene wanted to get started in it, where would I need to begin? I know my way around a mixing desk from observing sound engineers doing their thing, mixing my demos etc. But as far as decks, vinyls, whatever I'd be fair clueless how to go about it.

Always fancied the idea of putting an electronic spin to some of my music, which is mainly rock, metal and blues, but I'd rather learn how to do it properly rather than just going out and buying a bunch of equipment and making a balls of it.

Have a mate who's a dj, not his job, just for the craic and I've always been stood there beside him watching him at it while he attempts to explain what exactly is going on. I learnt a fair bit but want to figure it out for myself.

do you want to dj or do you want to make music?

decks will not help you do the latter

what kind of "electronic spin" do you want to put on your music?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

You legitimately have no idea what you are talking about.

Funny, cause I find it laughable that someone would give out to me for making generalisations about something I know nothing about while making presumptions on my personality from the fact I dont like dance music.

who's giving out? i merely stated a fact.
    All electronic dance is awful. Hard house, trance, rave etc... it goes on and on. It's all tripe. Dead, soulless tripe.

i find this ^^^ laughable, as you clearly have no knowledge of what you're talking about. i made no such presumptions about your personality, how could i? i don't know you.

Lumbo wrote: »
    The OP is failing big time here.

In what way? Last time I looked at the poll the vast majority were agreeing with me. But I really dont want this to descend into an argument about dance music. That's all opinion. I only started this to find out about the actual act of DJing.

tell that to kid koala

I won't deny that he's great at what he does, but you can't compose on decks, you play and mix other peoples music. (Spinning your own music doesn't count.)

I won't deny that he's great at what he does, but you can't compose on decks, you play and mix other peoples music. (Spinning your own music doesn't count.)

you're claiming that what kid koala, among others, does isn't composition? it's as much composition as anything else. is playing guitar not counted as composition because the strings have their own inherent sound before being manipulated by the player? of course not, same way what KK does shouldn't be discounted because the record has its own inherent sound before being manipulated by him

you absolutely can compose on decks, but it's very, very rare that anyone does it - although that doesn't mean that your statement above is accurate

• Advertisement

i find this ^^^ laughable, as you clearly have no knowledge of what you're talking about. i made no such presumptions about your personality, how could i? i don't know you.

What? It's my opinion on dance music. I have all the knowledge I could ever require on the subject.
    Could we please get off my opinions on dance and back on the actual subject.

The lack of thought put into arguments here is depressing. What is music? It's audible art. What is art? Anything done with the intent to be artistic. What is an instrument? Anything that makes sound. Do decks make sound? Yes. Therefore they can be seen as an instrument.

I'm not a DJ, but I do have two sets of decks here in my apartment, one for CDs and another for vinyl. Anyone who thinks it's easy is welcome to come around, pick anything from my CD or record collection and show me exactly how simple it is.
    What? It's my opinion on dance music. I have all the knowledge I could ever require on the subject.

If you've only ever had rotten beef, does that mean all beef is rotten? Or do you just have a habit of picking up beef that's well passed it's use-by date?

you're claiming that what kid koala, among others, does isn't composition? it's as much composition as anything else. is playing guitar not counted as composition because the strings have their own inherent sound before being manipulated by the player? of course not, same way what KK does shouldn't be discounted because the record has its own inherent sound before being manipulated by him

you absolutely can compose on decks, but it's very, very rare that anyone does it - although that doesn't mean that your statement above is accurate

Are these compositions completely original though?

Samich wrote: »

and?
    Thanks for the great contribution though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

whats the matter op, you try your hand at it and realise its actually not easy.

back in the day of turntable djs it took a long time for most people to master the art of beat matching, then eyars to master mixing in key ect.

its also more about the songs that are played than the mixing itself.

nowadays any old idiot can buy a laptop and click sync and become a (poor)dj overnight. a good dj will know that its more about the songs they chose than anything.

and the answers on your poll are stupid.

i have been doing it for about 12 years more of a hobby than anything, but i wouldnt consider myself, or any dj a musician. now the likes of sasha ect who create their own music is different

How many chords are there on a guitar? How many songs can there be before parts of the chord structure from song A end up in B through G? How long before How long before they take up the entire alphabet, and nothing is original? DJing is not just playing someone else's music. It's like aural chess, and you're playing against the audience. If you make a wrong move, everyone will know.

It could be argued that there is no such thing as a completely original piece of music

The lack of thought put into arguments here is depressing. What is music? It's audible art. What is art? Anything done with the intent to be artistic. What is an instrument? Anything that makes sound. Do decks make sound? Yes. Therefore they can be seen as an instrument.

I'm not a DJ, but I do have two sets of decks here in my apartment, one for CDs and another for vinyl. Anyone who thinks it's easy is welcome to come around, pick anything from my CD or record collection and show me exactly how simple it is.

If you've only ever had rotten beef, does that mean all beef is rotten? Or do you just have a habit of picking up beef that's well passed it's use-by date?

No, but if I dont like beef at all, it doesnt matter if it's the best cut of beef in the world.
    I shall be around on monday to play with your decks. I bet you wont actually let me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Sorry OP but you chose to ignore my last question so I will just ask again -

What is your opinion of electronic music that does not involve dance music or beats?

DJ's and artists exist, and have existed for decades, that play or perform electronic music without the requirement for you to dance to it.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

How many chords are there on a guitar? How many songs can there be before parts of the chord structure from song A end up in B through G? How long before How long before they take up the entire alphabet, and nothing is original? DJing is not just playing someone else's music. It's like aural chess, and you're playing against the audience. If you make a wrong move, everyone will know.

Wow! I havent heard waffle like that since I did A-Level Theatre Studies

• Advertisement

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    It could be argued that there is no such thing as a completely original piece of music

I don't mean original in the sense that it has never been done before. That's nigh on impossible these days.

Wow! I havent heard waffle like that since I did A-Level Theatre Studies

That's the difference between an artist and someone who enjoys the surface level. Deconstruct to attain a higher level.

buried wrote: »
    Sorry OP but you chose to ignore my last question so I will just ask again -

What is your opinion of electronic music that does not involve dance music or beats?

DJ's and artists exist, and have existed for decades, that play or perform electronic music without the requirement for you to dance to it.

I have no idea what you're talking about. It's probably a safe bet that I wouldnt be a fan. But again, were stuck on my opinion. Why does everyone here find it so hard to believe that someone could possibly not have the same taste in music as them.

is the sound of a guitar string or piano key completely original?

I have no idea what you're talking about. It's probably a safe bet that I wouldnt be a fan. But again, were stuck on my opinion. Why does everyone here find it so hard to believe that someone could possibly not have the same taste in music as them.

Because it's impossible to not find one single, solitary song made with a computer and not enjoy it. Again, you're just eating rotten beef. Go to a different butcher.

is the sound of a guitar string or piano key completely original?

See my clarification above.

do you like this? i use it as an example because it's just a great piece of music really, and to gauge a starting point here

See my clarification above.

saw it, doesnt make sense in line with the conversation though

an open e on guitar, or a c# on piano are existing sounds. the sound on a record is an existing sound

it's the manipulation of those sounds, the structuring of them with others and the combination with other notes that creates music. what's the difference between a sustained c on a piano, and a sustained c on a record? the c on the record can be manipulated into a wide range of other notes by someone who is skilled with the instrument, just as a piano player can play a range of notes. but both start off with the same base set of sounds, that is to say a preexisting cyclical vibration of the air

I couldn't give a fiddler's fart about your musical 'taste'. You made a moronic statement that 'all electronic music is tripe' (or whatever) and people are debating against this pronouncement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've heard people say that every possible combination of notes will be used up in the next few years/decade. I think many art forms will reach their ultimate conclusions pretty soon. We've gone through every combination and are repeating ourselves at this stage.

Just look at modern music, it's all just a slightly different version of what's gone before. There's nothing original out there. Same goes for books and movies. It's the same story over and over again with slightly different settings and characters.

Advertisement