Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DJs

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 209 ✭✭zega

DJ'ing is a skill,and a dieing one at that.very few DJs at festivals are there solely for their skills behind the decks,most are producers.

Track selection is what really seperates the good from the great DJ's,Jackmaster is by far my favourite as you really dont know what he will play next.His resident advisor mix is proof to this.

As for the opinion that people only go to clubs to get drunk and pull,i dont.I hate going to generic niteclubs that play the same old chart stuff,twisted pepper is where its at :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Um, no :confused: On the rare occasion i go to a night club i go for the purpose of getting drunk and fingering a 19 year old girl. The music is jsut something i put up with. However I have no idea what relevance that has to anything i have said. Essentially i said two things. Firstly i asked if people thought DJing was a real skill, inviting all opinions.
    Secondly, i mentioned, in passing, that I dont like dance music. That was it.
    Everything else that people think i've said, such as your comment - "your assuming just because some people like electronic dance music, that they cant also dj hip hop , break beats or rock" - people have made up themselves in some outraged defensive frenzy because they cant believe somebody would have the gall to have a different taste in music from them.

oh pot - kettle - black

if you read the thread , most of the people replying talked about the skill or lack of in djing , you were the one that started your rant about dance music , dropping pills and basically insinuating that dj's were useless noise makers playing music that you dont have a liking for.

but you forgot that dj's dont just play dance , far from it,
    i could not give a crap what music you like or dont like , means nothing to me
    your comment says it all, " music is just something i put up with " well then why ask the question in the first place about skill ?

you know very little about the subject matter judging by your responses.

funny you should mention fingering 19 year old's - i see from the dj box all the time, the lounge lizards roaming looking for drunk little girls - sad really,
    because all the fine women are chasing the dj - for a reason buddy
    enjoy fingering the drunk fat bird :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

This thread has gone full retard...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

dj jarvis wrote: »
    your right - any fool can , but only a few are good enough to make a living and make their name in the industry - this is where the skill comes into it,

just like the army of clowns in this country who can play a few chords on a guitar and suddenly they are the next big thing and selling their souls to appear on im a wanker get me on tv

and people are giving out about dj's ?? give me a break

anyone who states that djing is easy, and any clown can do it , ill tell ya what
    you get a gig , get paid to get to this gig , entertain 500/600 people and not **** it up - this takes knowledge and skill - end of
    With Sasha&Digweed on in the background i agree 100% with how you expanded on my point so well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

how bout every person that posted here thinking dj'ing is a talentless push button affair.. go and make a mix, using whatever hardware/software they want.. and post it up for us to listen?

lets say a 48hr deadline :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Bollocks is Djing easy!!!! I thought the same until i stepped up to my mates set of decks when i was 15 and didnt have a fúcking clue what was goin on! Beat matching is way harder than it looks so dont say it's easy until you've tried it. I instantly got hooked on DJing when i walked into my mates room and saw that crate of Vinyl and the big fúck off shiny decks and whopper set of speakers, absolutely blew my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

This thread has gone full retard...

Completely. People are just making shit up now. I'm out.

Man starts a thread with a spurious poll about guitarists which starts a small debate about the merit of guitarists. Man admits he hates all guitar based music but doesn't see what that has to do with anything.

Other people try to convince him he's wrong by posting up videos of Stevie Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen, that nobody really cares to watch, to show how good guitarists can be even though their style of playing is not truly representative of the vast majority of guitarists. Then again, guitarists can't be lumped together into one easy definition: there's god guitarists, there's bad guitarists, folk, rock, metal, punk, pop, pluckers, strummers and pickers.

None of this matters though because of the preconception that playing a guitar is easy because anyone can pick one up. Guitarists get offended by this notion even though they know in their hearts anyone can really pick up a guitar and learn three chords to play a song. But they know that to be proficient it takes a lot more work even though many posters don't seem to realise this. They get upset and a bit whiny, filling pages with pointless posts about why they have it so hard but that some people really like them and how they are actually talented and everyone comes out of it looking bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

They get upset and a bit whiny, filling pages with pointless posts about why they have it so hard but that some people really like them and how they are actually talented and everyone comes out of it looking bad.

:confused:

Who's saying they have it hard, they're actually talented or that people really like them? I've skimmed through certain posts but I do believe you've just imagined that entire paragraph. :pac:

And who do you think anyone should be trying to 'look good' in front of?

leggo wrote: »
    :confused:

Who's saying they have it hard, they're actually talented or that people really like them? I've skimmed through certain posts but I do believe you've just imagined that entire paragraph. :pac:

Read through the whole thing objectively. A lot of the people who have no time for DJs come across as ill informed but a lot of the DJ supporting posts come across as ever so whiny. Sigh, people just don't understand…
    And who do you think anyone should be trying to 'look good' in front of?

That's a retarded question and you know it. What I'm saying is that both sides are looking like plebs in this discussion. It is two sides coming at each other with their own preconceptions and never will the twain meet as the arguments get more and more snipey and reductive.

– I think DJs are like totally stupid and talentless and I hate their poopy music.
    – Well I think DJs rock! I'm one, I've got mad skillz and I get all the girls (I can't honestly believe someone was juvenile enough to use this).

And it will go on like this…

Read through the whole thing objectively. A lot of the people who have no time for DJs come across as ill informed but a lot of the DJ supporting posts come across as ever so whiny. Sigh, people just don't understand…

To be fair, I think it's more of a case of people pointing out that others are formulating strong opinions without having any experience, or particular interest whatsoever to back it up. If you argue this in any environment, it's going to get pointed out. Now if you're adding a whiny tone to said posts, that's more you, but I'm not picking that up. I was reading them in an anxious tone, m'self. No particular reason why, just sounded funnier in my head at the time.
    That's a retarded question and you know it. What I'm saying is that both sides are looking like plebs in this discussion. It is two sides coming at each other with their own preconceptions and never will the twain meet as the arguments get more and more snipey and reductive.

– I think DJs are like totally stupid and talentless and I hate their poopy music.
    – Well I think DJs rock! I'm one, I've got mad skillz and I get all the girls (I can't honestly believe someone was juvenile enough to use this).

And it will go on like this…

Nah, if I ever hear/read people say, "Sure don't we all come out of this looking terrible," then I automatically add the word, "Joe" to the end of the sentence. Who cares what people look like? It's not secondary school, it's just people having a conversation.

If anyone uses the opinions of me, someone else, you, whoever and thinks, "This is what all DJs must think because one person just said so," then they're a retard themselves.

But, yeah, it is a bit childish to claim that DJs get all the girls. And untrue. I'll agree on that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Completely. People are just making shit up now. I'm out.

Like yourself so.

To be fair, I think it's more of a case of people pointing out that others are formulating strong opinions without having any experience, or particular interest whatsoever to back it up. If you argue this in any environment, it's going to get pointed out. Now if you're adding a whiny tone to said posts, that's more you, but I'm not picking that up. I was reading them in an anxious tone, m'self. No particular reason why, just sounded funnier in my head at the time.

Nah, if I ever hear/read people say, "Sure don't we all come out of this looking terrible," then I automatically add the word, "Joe" to the end of the sentence. Who cares what people look like? It's not secondary school, it's just people having a conversation.

If anyone uses the opinions of me, someone else, you, whoever and thinks, "This is what all DJs must think because one person just said so," then they're a retard themselves.

But, yeah, it is a bit childish to claim that DJs get all the girls. And untrue. I'll agree on that.

get over yourself

it was pointed out while that dope was trying to finger some poor drunk kid , the women TEND to up flashing eyebrows at the dj
    this i know , nearly 3 decades of woman , free beer , free drugs ( when i used to use ) and EVERY ELSE that goes with it
    it does happen and is true - so deal with it

remember kids it's not childish to point out that your wife/girlfriend/mother is giving me the eye, while you are drunkenly groping around the dance floor
    just because its not happening to you - does not mean its not happening

Haha alright LL Cool J, I'm not gonna row with you over it. I've agreed with a few things you've said here, just bragging that all the 'ladeez' love you on an Internet forum is a bit cringey tbh. But enjoy it by all means!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I love good djs when ive got a belly full of pills :D espechilly if there good Ali Dubfire is awesome :cool:

Haha alright LL Cool J, I'm not gonna row with you over it. I've agreed with a few things you've said here, just bragging that all the 'ladeez' love you on an Internet forum is a bit cringey tbh. But enjoy it by all means!

oh only messing - this boy dont kiss and tell :D
    but all bragging aside musicians / dj's / artists DO get more than their fair share of ladys if that is their want

it used to drive my ( thankfully ) EX girl mad that scantly clad drunk girls would make a bee line to " make best mates " with the dj
    cant help it if im popular ( or they are visually impaired ) :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭validusername1

People who think DJing is about having a playlist ready and just clicking 'play' on a laptop are seriously clueless about it all. It does take talent and skill, and successful DJs who create their own music certainly have talent, go download a production programme for your computer and let's see how easy you think it is then! And that's only computers not vinyl, it's more complicated than you'd think..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Nulty wrote: »
    Hip hop turntablists > techno disc jockeyists

Bit like comparing rally drivers to formula 1 drivers; they're both incredibly specific skillsets that don't entirely overlap, even though the basic intention is to drive a car as fast as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭VEN

iamstop wrote: »
    I agree with most of what you wrote but this is false. (insert pic of that dude from the office)

There is a book called 'Last night the DJ saved my life' all about the history of DJing from Larry Levan and to the Northern Soul era to how the Reggae DJs begat MCing and rapping. DJs have had a long history of being the main focus, hip hop is what started to put them in background, kind of ironically. Hip Hop and Turntablism is what brought a lot of DJs back to the fore.
    On the 'Dance' scene DJs from Detroit and Chicago invented House and Techno off the back of the dying Disco scene, originally using drum machines and synths OVER records until eventually the drum machines and synths completely replaced the records for live sets.
    http://www.amazon.com/Last-Night-DJ-Saved-Life/dp/0802136885

I'm a DJ, I only use vinyl but like anything that people do there are some that do it well, pushing the boundaries and some that are pretty bad at it and just press 'play' and 'synch'.
    Unfortunately the rise of the CD deck and more recently the MP3 DJ software has made it much easier for people with very little talent to fake it.

After reading most of the posts on here I realised; this is AH after all. The place where people like to come along and make sweeping statements about things they know f%&k all about. :)

i fully agree :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Was at it for years, pubs, clubs, weddings, parties etc etc. Enjoyed it and made alot of dough to help through college etc. I was never the mixer type, did basic beat matching and loops etc, the types of gigs I did never demanded proper mixing. DJing in pubs etc is just really about showing up on time and sober and playing the floorfillers, it helps if you are good on the mic but not totally necessary in my experience.

Weddings and parties are an entirely different matter, that require excellent track selection, good mic skills, crowd reading and good professional equipment, whether that can be considered a skill or not is a matter of opinion, but IMO it takes years to get to that level and even then not many people are really good at it.

I think in recent years standards have dropped massively. When I started out equipment cost a fortune, as did music collection and keeping up with the charts via CD singles. If you weren't really serious about becoming a DJ there is no way you'd spend that kind of money. These days the barriers to entry are very small, a Maplins prosound special, laptop, heap of illegal tunes and cracked software and hey presto, you're a DJ. You have total chancers out DJ'ing at weekends for peanuts, that wasn't happening even a decade ago IMO.

I totally understand why mobile DJ's have a bad rep, I have been to pubs and parties and been appauled at what passes for a DJ these days, but in fairness there are also plenty around who play good music and mix it well, and the real top DJ's have real skill. I think the image of Anto down the pub skulling pints and playing an automix with a few sh***y speakers and LED lights is probably the image most people have of a DJ and it's a bit simplistic. At the same time, apart from a few notable exceptions DJ's can't be compared to musicians that create their own music.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭carlmwan

Sky King wrote: »
    I have been playing drums for about 16 years. It took the best part of four years practicing up to an hour every day to get to what I would call a decent standard.

I have been playing piano 4 years and am nowhere near half decent on it.

I can also mix records using vinyl and CD decks and it took me about 3-4 weeks to get properly proficient at it.

Scratch trickery is a different story of course. That takes serious effort and practice. I have a lot of respect for those guys.

Umm well...
    Who says you are good at mixing?
    anway did you ever think that you got ''ok'' at it because you had being playing piano and drums for so long? so you got a basic understanding:confused:

Vice has never put me wrong before

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/hey-v11n5

There are, quite literally, hundreds of articles out there trolling DJs. The "I'm a DJ and it's easy" article is done to death too. They almost always fall down because the writer addresses what they think a DJ is thinking rather than using anything to back their arguments up. If I had ever met one DJ who took credit for writing popular songs they played, I'd agree with him. But I haven't. So he's just having a rant about an imaginary figure. Yeah, I'd hate that guy too if he existed...

In this case, we can also only assume the writer is using himself as a point of reference for being a ****ing spazz, since he's using his DJ-ing experience to qualify himself as an authority on the subject. But why should anyone take anything written by a spazz like that seriously?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭bradknowell

An actual DJ that uses vinyl and spent years and loads of money on records and their dream set up, Have the most respect for them and they are definitely artists.

CJ's can go shyte and stop calling themselves DJ's.

Alright relax, i just saw the article on Vice and thought it was funny. Here, this one should counterbalance it.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/people-who-should-never-be-allowed-to-dj-at-parties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Alright relax, i just saw the article on Vice and thought it was funny. Here, this one should counterbalance it.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/people-who-should-never-be-allowed-to-dj-at-parties

Truest thing you've said in the whole thread so far tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

FatherLen wrote: »
    any nightclub dj = number 3
    fatboy slim = number 2
    ????? = number 1

I would insert Sasha or John Digweed in the no.1 slot there...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

...cos nobody can do it, like mixmaster can:

start it at 1:47

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭djman

Hmmmmm..., where to start!!

I'm what you'd class a wedding Dj. Professional too, i.e. I'm registered, pay my taxes etc.

I'm a talented musician... I can play 4 instruments, I started dj-ing with vinyl, on to cd's and now laptop. I'm only home from a gig at 4:50am. I've to be up in 2 hours for my day job on radio. I'd 4 guys come up to me tonight and say they were Dj's too. Big ****ing Wow!!!!!! 2 of them didn't know what I had a laptop for, one didn't know what my mixer was and the other thought my light controller was my mixer!

Yeah there are dickheads out there who haven't a clue and claim they are 'djs' and give the rest of us a bad name. The problem is there are too many of them doing this. If everyone started fixing plumbing and claimed they were plumbers because they have the latest 'wrench' we'd be having a discussion about plumbers and are they professional or whatever.

My job as a Dj ( for parties not radio ) is to firstly get the party going and secondly to keep it going. This is done by song selection and mixing ( if needed ). Simples!

If I'd a penny for everytime someone said anyone can do that I'd be very rich. Of course anyone could! But whether you're good at it or not is a whole other story!

• Advertisement
Advertisement