Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giz a career!

• 26-07-2012 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭

So, I feel I no longer like what I'm doing (IT). I'm bored to tears of it. I don't enjoy coming in at all.

I couldn't care less anymore so I'm contemplating a career change.

The only thing is, the money is good where I am, but I'd take less money if I could do something I like....

...and therein lies the problem...not really sure where to go from here....

AH, What would you rather be doing with yourselves!? Or are you lucky enough to be doing something you love?

Or do you put up with it for financial reasons as the job you hate allows you to live comfortably....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

Theres only so much bullsh1t you can handle.

The money only softens the blow so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I was doing IT support for roughly 4 years, then got absolutely sick of it. Constantly dealing with people having the same problems and not understanding what you're telling them to do! I just decided one day I'd had enough.

I went back to college and finished off me bachelors degree and I just started in a software development job on more money than i was getting in IT support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

Theres only so much bullsh1t you can handle.

The money only softens the blow so much.

Very true!

Either people around here really like what they do or they're exceptional at putting up with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭OMARS_COMING_

Is IT hard work,like can you drink tea when ever you want?

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I was doing IT support for roughly 4 years, then got absolutely sick of it. Constantly dealing with people having the same problems and not understanding what you're telling them to do! I just decided one day I'd had enough.

I went back to college and finished off me bachelors degree and I just started in a software development job on more money than i was getting in IT support.

Sounds good. I was thinking about doing something in the way of DBA, but...I guess it would be worth it in the end....?

• Advertisement

No, but you can drink coffee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

OP, become a panda trainer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭HoggyRS

Just did a year of postgraduate study in an IT conversion course yoke. I think any IT job I would be able to get into would bore me to absolute tears and hence am looking for an apprenticeship in the area I was always interested in working. Couldn't face being miserable in front of a computer screen for the rest of my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Vajazzle Engineer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

The zoo would be a good place to start :p

Seriously though, if you're thinking of a change of career, you will need to do a good bit of research on possible careers for yourself, write down a few careers you think you may enjoy and excel at. Go from there then, you could always fall back on IT if things don't work out. Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Just did a year of postgraduate study in an IT conversion course yoke. I think any IT job I would be able to get into would bore me to absolute tears and hence am looking for an apprenticeship in the area I was always interested in working. Couldn't face being miserable in front of a computer screen for the rest of my life.

I hear you! Wouldn't mind being able to interact with someone instead of a fcuking database!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Vajazzle Engineer
    Culleeo wrote: »
    Seriously though, if you're thinking of a change of career, you will need to do a good bit of research on possible careers for yourself, write down a few careers you think you may enjoy and excel at. Go from there then, you could always fall back on IT if things don't work out. Best of luck with it.

Classic AH.

I think I'll do that this weekend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Ah, the ultimate judgement of a jobs skill and difficulty level! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Kinda in the same boat, altho the €€€ and perks are too good to change, might scope out some other job's would like to freelance maybe ..

But then i remember that hookers and cocaine cost real money !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Kinda in the same boat, altho the €€€ and perks are too good to change, might scope out some other job's would like to freelance maybe ..

God forbid you'll have to wear M&S jeans ;)

I'm sure Lindsay could keep you in coke for a while....

I've got it! Drug dealer to the stars!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

Rather than thinking about "jobs", try to have a think about what it is you really enjoy doing. What tasks are you doing when you look up and realise 2 hours have passed in a heartbeat? What kind of thing do you enjoy enough to keep you away from boards? Are there any bits of your current job that you wouldn't like to lose? The job is the headline, but it's the humdrum day-to-day that keeps you sane or drives you mad.

Honestly, this is more difficult than it sounds, but when you've figured out what you enjoy spending your time actually going, then you can figure out what jobs might suit. It's a subtly different approach than looking at lists of jobs and wondering "would I enjoy that?" but I think it has the potential to be more effective.

Best of luck in any case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

Diapason wrote: »
    Rather than thinking about "jobs", try to have a think about what it is you really enjoy doing. What tasks are you doing when you look up and realise 2 hours have passed in a heartbeat? What kind of thing do you enjoy enough to keep you away from boards? Are there any bits of your current job that you wouldn't like to lose? The job is the headline, but it's the humdrum day-to-day that keeps you sane or drives you mad.

Honestly, this is more difficult than it sounds, but when you've figured out what you enjoy spending your time actually going, then you can figure out what jobs might suit. It's a subtly different approach than looking at lists of jobs and wondering "would I enjoy that?" but I think it has the potential to be more effective.

I realised I liked looking at vaginas all day, so studied midwifery :cool:

Bad Panda wrote: »
    I'm sure Lindsay could keep you in coke for a while....

I've got it! Drug dealer to the stars!

I've a feeling she'll keep me in something else given the chance ... ;)

syndeyfife wrote: »
    God forbid you'll have to wear M&S jeans ;)

So not wearing M&S jeans !!!

• Advertisement

Diapason wrote: »

Great advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

How does one get an IT job?

Correct me if I am wrong (most probably) But IT skills arent the hardest right? of course, thats if you have a background with computers. Its just installing new networks, printers to a network, fixing problems etc right?

its not like computer science right?

Correct me if I am wrong (most probably) But IT skills arent the hardest right? of course, thats if you have a background with computers. Its just installing new networks, printers to a network, fixing problems etc right?

Sure all we do is turn it off an back on again !!!!

Well that's kind of a deskside support job you're describing there.

I've got mad skillz with mobile phone networks and shizzle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

I'd settle for a fcukin job, careers are just things fancy people have in the movies.

Well that's kind of a deskside support job you're describing there.

I've got mad skillz with mobile phone networks and shizzle!

Head to Trinidad maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

LordSmeg wrote: »
    I'd settle for a fcukin job, careers are just things fancy people have in the movies.

Get you with your movies. No recession on in your house!

Head to Trinidad maybe ?

What about Tobago?!

Why Trinidad?

Also, there's a serious lack of eye candy in IT! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sure all we do is turn it off an back on again !!!!

That's where I have been going wrong...Iwas just kicking stuff.

• Advertisement

What about Tobago?!

Why Trinidad?

Also, there's a serious lack of eye candy in IT! :mad:

Either or ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Fupping Grasshole

Get some physics phd thing and a job in the large hadron collider OP. You've 8 years....starting now. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Teach English, travel the world and make good money.

It probably isn't the best long-term career but definitely something to bridge the gap.

Teach English, travel the world and make good money.

It probably isn't the best long-term career but definitely something to bridge the gap.

Cheers.

I've done a fair bit of travelling already....not pushed...but I wouldn't rule out just going to another city for a bit.

Cheers.

I've done a fair bit of travelling already....not pushed...but I wouldn't rule out just going to another city for a bit.

Male prostitution ? in San Francisco maybe ?

Advertisement