Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New site, loads of weeds...

Options
  • 26-07-2012 11:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭

Myself and my wife moved into our house abot 2 years ago. At the time, we did little to the grounds, mainly due to time and money constraints.
    As a result, the docks, nettles and what-not have taken over. Some weeds are 4 feet high, and it's pretty ugly. Something really has to be done, but I'm not sure how to start in such a way as to effect a proper solution. I understand that this is a big job... the house is on just over an acre. The ground where the grass/weeds grows is a bit uneven. It I strimmed it, I wouldn't be able to follow up with a lawnmower, so it probably needs to be levelled.

What advice can anyone give?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

do you want a lawn? an acre of mowing will get tiring fairly quickly.
    but you're looking at work (or expense) on pretty much any option on that scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

I don't really want a lawn, not in the sense of a manicured, high maintenance one anyhow. I'd be more inclined towards a 'meadow' style, with wildflowers and such. We have a number of fruit trees and bushes in the area too, albeit still young, so they would need to be considered if anything drastic had to be done.
    Having something child friendly is pretty high in the priority list, as we have young children who are approaching the age where they will be having friends to visit, parties etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Can cut it down get the worst put out the way in a heap and get a local farmer in to run around the field a few times with a power harrow on the back of a tractor? Depending on the state of the land and providing its not full of stones and builders rubble that will give you the flatest surface for the least effort. Even running an old chain harrow over it a few times might help a bit of the soils good. Once you can drive a lawn tractor over it then just cut what comes up and it will soon end up all as grass. If you want to do it better later just having the lawn mower keep it down will make it much easier to rotovate and relevel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

You could leave it as is and just get a meadow mower / brush mower to cut the weed / high grass around your bushes every now and then.

Maybe just beautify the immediate area around the house and let the rest go semi-wild (within limits)

See here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79522825

Advertisement