Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samantha Brick & Aborting Down's Syndrome babies...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    your post is missing "if there is a threat to the womans life" after "continues to be legal in this state"
    You are the one missing the point , you wrongly claimed that abortion is not legal here, in fact it is legal.
    Either you were just poorly informed on the subject or you were being misleading , either way you were wrong and I called you on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

harr wrote: »
    Such crap,what do you know about it enlighten me... Muppet

General knowledge, reading up on the subject, knowing what subsidies are in place, care assistants.

To be trapped in that 5 year old prison of a mind for your entire life, while being a burden to your parents and all of society, is not questionable how?
    The child will have a sub-standard quality of life, that in the case of ms. Brick was known in advance. Its not fair on the child, its not fair on the extended family (who willing or no, will be roped in to care), its not fair on society as a whole.
    It places stress on the parents social life, and that of their other kids. It places stress on their marriage. Stress on a reduced standard of living. Stress on society to have to carry the cost. I have enough bills to pay, without having to pay for what could have been avoided.

I don't disagree with people being emotional about it all. Its hard to lose a child. My ex had a miss-carriage, as did by brother and his wife. It's heartbreaking to lose a child. But a short sudden heartbreak is infinitely more desirable than a slow life-long gut-wrenching one, wathcing your down-syndrome child suffer needlessly and pointlessly.

You may call me harsh all you want, but if i see a wounded rabbit, beyond care, i don't try to prolong its misery. That's cruel, inhumane. I feel bad about ending its life, but i feel a lot better for having ended its torment.

Also, i present an opposing viewpoint and you respond with insults. Classy.

From this: http://tomthefanboy.com/misc/argument_pyramid.jpg You don't even get off the first tier....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

All the bricks that come from that factory seem to be only half baked. Like Samantha.:)

It never ceases to amaze me how abortion always gets people in Ireland so worked up.:rolleyes:

There's nothing anyone can do any more to make it impossible for women to exercise that choice for themselves. That's because travel to England is cheap and convenient, and an abortion over there would probably cost less than it would in an Irish hospital if the laws were brought into line with most other European countries. :)

All that the self-styled pro-lifers have been able to do is place a few irritating, but not insurmountable obstacles in the way of Irish women who want access to a full range of gynaecological services in their own country.;)

All that controversial and generalising statements by the likes of Samantha Brick do is spark the generation of a lot of hot air.:)

Meanwhile mothers/families faced with difficult decisions will quietly reach and implement their decision quietly and in privacy.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

And??????

Yes I think it is murder as it destroys the life of the child.

No I dont think women should be punished for the murder as this would serve nobody and achieve nothing.

I'm not really sure why you keep paraphrasing my opinions...(note the use of the word opinions here)

I'm trying to get you to see your position and view is irrational. Your telling me its murder but not murder. You cant explain why that makes sense. Yet you refuse to accept that it doesnt to hold onto your opinion.

Your opinion doesnt make sense, accept it, learn and reform your opinion based on reason and logic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

davet82 wrote: »

i read your post and it made no sense at all. People with DS are like 'normal' people, some have flaws, some bigger than others, your arguement to terminate a baby on that basis is stupid.

Lets not have children just in case they turn out to be all bad or you know one or two people that had a bad experince with one, would be the same reasoning :confused:
    so you didn't understand. I never suggested aborting a child because they could be badly behaved.
    The effect on the family was the only reason I suggested. I didn't say my friends had bad experiences with them either.
    I said it had a negative impact.
    Now on my 3 rd time explaining you might get that if not I don't care. Your responses are too troll like for me.

• Advertisement

Zulu wrote: »
    I'd suggest that people who support abortion really need to stop trying to silence those who oppose it.

Silencing dissent is never a good thing, and doesn't make for a progressive society.
    Hilarious post absoloutley hilarious. The only ones who have ever tried to silence anyone are the anti abortion side, who went to the high court to get injunctions to prevent the distribution of information on abortion? go on, who?
    The only ones using scare tactics to stifle debate on abortion in Ireland are the anti abortion side led by the Youth Defence fanatics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

SocSocPol wrote: »
    You are the one missing the point , you wrongly claimed that abortion is not legal here, in fact it is legal.
    Either you were just poorly informed on the subject or you were being misleading , either way you were wrong and I called you on it.
    Ok five points for you.

We are talking about abortion of DS foetuses yes? That is illegal here.

As for your "stating that abortion is legal", you ommitted the fact that it is only legal in a very small percentage of cases, so unless I have somehow been sleeping and we have, in fact, been talking only about those abortions...your post was misleading and you know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

LordSmeg wrote: »
    I'm trying to get you to see your position and view is irrational. Your telling me its murder but not murder. You cant explain why that makes sense. Yet you refuse to accept that it doesnt to hold onto your opinion.

Your opinion doesnt make sense, accept it, learn and reform your opinion based on reason and logic.

How can an opinion be right or wrong? I am not stating it as fact, I am stating it as an opinion. Are you aware of that concept?

Ok five points for you.

We are talking about abortion of DS foetuses yes? That is illegal here.

As for your "stating that abortion is legal", you ommitted the fact that it is only legal in a very small percentage of cases, so unless I have somehow been sleeping and we have, in fact, been talking only about those abortions...your post was misleading and you know it.
    Wrong again, any abortion is legal in Ireland if there is a real and substantial risk to the life of the mother, the status of the foetus is therfore irrellavent.If the mother of a foetus with DS states that she is suicidally opposed to giving birt to it, and her doctors agree then legally she can abort in Ireland (though finding a hospital to carry out the procedure could be problematic)
    I am sorry to you feel compelled to try and rewrite the law to suit your arguement, unfortunatley in real life you cant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

If this was extended to people with limited IQ's then After Hours traffic would drop 60%.

One thing I cant understand about abortion is that either side cannot understand the other sides point. The pro-"choice" (should we say those that favor killing unborn babies!!) think they are all high and mighty and think they are perusing some liberal agenda that will benefit society. Yet cannot see that the decision they are making is in fact killing an unborn child. Call it what you want but thats the fact of it.

The pro life crowd want to push their morals onto the rest of society but cannot see that some people do not adhere to their morals.

Personally I have a problem with it they way it is used so generally. I understand that there may be medical cases for it especially in the case of rape, insect but lets face it, these are very rare circumstances. Don't know the odds but I would hazard a guess at less then 1%.

The rest are just stupid women or some sluts copping out. Now, I don't want the government telling people what they can and cannot do to their bodies but on a personal level I believe its wrong, I would never advocate it myself. Some people wouldn't know responsibility if it slapped them on the head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Kooli wrote: »
    Possibly. But if there are more moderate pro-lifers out there who don't agree with YD, they should really try and publicly distance themselves from them or provide an alternative voice
    What? You mean until moderates have distanced themselves sufficiently, in your eyes, from extremists, their opinions should/could be ignored? Please.

I feel no need to distance myself from an extremist because I don't relate to one. It is YOU who is relating to me to one, so I'd suggest YOU educate yourself, as opposed to expecting me and others like me to enlighten you from your ignorance.
    That said, I recognise that you are making some sort of attempt to do that in this thread, so kudos for that.
    because they are really the loudest voice shouting at the moment and they are getting a lot of airtime.
    Extremists often are.
    Does that bother pro-life people who disagree with YD? (are you one of them?)
    I disagree with their "images", and yes, it does bother me that they feel the need to display them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Zulu wrote: »
    What? You mean until moderates have distanced themselves sufficiently, in your eyes, from extremists, their opinions should/could be ignored? Please.

I have literally no idea how you got that from what I wrote. Genuinely. And you keep doing this ('paraphrasing' what you think I 'meant' and then getting really angry with me about it), so I think I might leave it there for now.

I'm not trying to 'educate myself', unless by that you mean trying to understand someone else's point of view?

I actually think it's essential both sides try to understand the other's point of view in any argument. Otherwise it's a pointless shouting match where each side tries to persuade the other, while being completely immovable themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

Prevent them having abortions by demonising the practise and those involved in it. An extension of that is the inference that people should feel guilty and be tormented by it as they would be given how wrong it is and an extension of that is that if you have done it then you should feel guilty and tormented by it.

If you claim something is worthy of contempt then you must hold those who do it in contempt. You cant pick a campaign based on demonising something and think or expect the opinions expressed that way not to apply to people who have done it.

Yes, I agree that their is an inference that people should feel guilty, but I was saying I don't think it's their motivation. The question was about pro-lifers wanting women who've had abortions to feel guilty.

No, you don't have to hold people in contempt because they do something you consider immoral. That would mean all pro-choicers would hate pro-lifers and all pro-lifers would hate pro-choicers wouldn't it? Abortion is a divisive issue, I think generally people have enough empathy and maturity not to be disgusted by people who hold a different point of view than they do. You can attack the philosophy, without attacking the validity of an individual's beliefs. And you can say "I believe I am morally right" without dismissing the notion that you might be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

Quote from Cruelcoin... It places stress on the parents social life, and that of their other kids. It places stress on their marriage. Stress on a reduced standard of living. Stress on society to have to carry the cost. I have enough bills to pay, without having to pay for what could have been avoided.

I have a nephew with DS and his parents have the same standard of living as they did beforehand and for you to be so cold as to say he could have been "avoided" makes me extremely mad.
    What would you do if your own child had a child with DS, would you refuse to see your grandchild as they would be a burden on you and society?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

How can an opinion be right or wrong?

Opinion, loosely based on duck being served with orange or plum sauce: a duck is a form of fruit.
    Wrong.

Opinions can, have been, and always will be, wrong.

Opinion: A foetus (an unborn or unhatched vertebrate in the later stages of development showing the main recognizable features of the mature animal) is a human (Noun: a human being, esp. a person as distinguished from an animal; Adjective: of, relating to, or characteristic of people or human beings).

Does a foetus carry the important characteristic traits of humans, the ones that separate us from the "lower" animals?
    Advanced cognition and reasoning?

Ms.M wrote: »
    Yes, I agree that their is an inference that people should feel guilty, but I was saying I don't think it's their motivation. The question was about pro-lifers wanting women who've had abortions to feel guilty.

But they have to want that if they want people to agree with them that its morally corrupt. Might not be their primary motive to want people to feel guilty but it is inherent in their argument.
    No, you don't have to hold people in contempt because they do something you consider immoral. That would mean all pro-choicers would hate pro-lifers and all pro-lifers would hate pro-choicers wouldn't it? Abortion is a divisive issue, I think generally people have enough empathy and maturity not to be disgusted by people who hold a different point of view than they do. You can attack the philosophy, without attacking the validity of an individual's beliefs. And you can say "I believe I am morally right" without dismissing the notion that you might be wrong

It has nothing to do with hating anyone for disagreeing with you its to do with how you view a person who you believe to have wilfully committed a horrific act such as murdering an unborn child (if thats the view you take).

If you see that act as immoral and despicable then by proxy that is the view you take of the person who wilfully committed it. This isnt just arguing philosophy this is discussing actions, the consequences of those actions and the moral issues attached to that in relation to those who do it. So a philosophical stance of "its murder" isnt just that its also a statement that you think people who have abortions are murderers.

I fail to see how someone can attack something on the grounds its immoral and disgusting and a terrible thing to do without also attacking the validity of someone's right to do it. They go hand in hand because they are both dependant on the validity of the action.

How can an opinion be right or wrong? I am not stating it as fact, I am stating it as an opinion. Are you aware of that concept?

Calling something an opinion isnt a get out clause to ignore the validity of holding it. If you want to argue a point based on your opinion then you will have to show that opinion is valid.

If you cant do that then you have to have a think about it and change your view until you do have grounds to think something to be the case. Otherwise your really just talking nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

grindle wrote: »
    Does a foetus carry the important characteristic traits of humans, the ones that separate us from the "lower" animals?
    Advanced cognition and reasoning?

No, but neither do infants.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

Personally I wouldnt want to have a kid that will likely have a bad experience in life. .

How on earth can you guarrantee that any child you may have will not have a 'bad experience in life'?

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

There are people who would not be willing to become the parents of a child with DS or other disability.

I would never be willing to have anything to do with people who would reject a child because the child had a disability.

• Advertisement

No, but neither do infants.

It's reasonable to think that if it's gotten past foetus-stage and grown to infancy/been birthed, either the parent wants to take care of it, or wants to give it to people who want to take care of it (or, as is too often the case, the unwilling parents were coerced by family or a society too quick to stick it's nose in).
    It's not reasonable to think that because someone has gotten pregnant, that they wanted a baby.
    They usually just wanted to have sex.

uriah wrote: »
    How on earth can you guarrantee that any child you may have will not have a 'bad experience in life'?

You cant but same as anything else you can judge when certain things will have a huge impact on their lives.

I'd never reject a child simply because they had a disability but I certainly would choose not to have one that would. Because I think it a pretty serious thing to bring a child into the world, it should never be done lightly, the child's potential life and environment should always be considered. And if you think that it just wont be suitable for whatever reason (disability of the child, war, famine, financial) then you shouldnt have the child.

Its not a puppy, its a human being your bringing into the world and to base a decision on "I'll love it and I want it" is pretty flimsy reasoning to me.

You can't guarantee it, life is filled with chance - but you can guarantee that a (Nintendo?) "DS" child will not be able to fend or learn for itself in the way any other would from the get-go, and most likely won't grow to be a fully functioning person later in life.
    That's not to say they can't live outrageously happy lives for themselves, I'm certain they can, but they need a mountain of money, care and support to do it.

Unless the family can support a child with such needs without scrounging from my wages, they should act responsibly (Unpopular Opinion right there).

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Jimmyhologram

Unless the family can support a child with such needs without scrounging from my wages, they should act responsibly (Unpopular Opinion right there).

So society should pressurize people with low incomes/savings into aborting a foetus that is at risk of developing into a disabled child? I assume that the majority of families would require some kind of state assistance.

If you were rendered incapacitated for the purposes of work tomorrow and hereafter for the rest of your life, should you then commit suicide to relieve the tax burden on others?

Serious questions btw, as I appreciate that the two cases I cite are different.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Smeggy

There are worse people out there 'scrounging from your wages' than people with disabilities!

So society should pressurize people with low incomes/savings into aborting a foetus that is at risk of developing into a disabled child? I assume that the majority of families would require some kind of state assistance.

If you were rendered incapacitated for the purposes of work tomorrow and hereafter for the rest of your life, should you then commit suicide to relieve the tax burden on others?

Serious questions btw, as I appreciate that the two cases I cite are different.
    Dumbest, most mis-representative and trolling post I have ever read anywhere, where did you buy whatever it is your on.

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Dumbest, most mis-representative and trolling post I have ever read anywhere, where did you buy whatever it is your on.

Whoa! I am asking questions in logical response to comments by a previous poster. He admits that the opinion is unpopular, he is entitled to it, and I think I am entitled to ask him to elaborate.

I'm not claiming to "represent" anyone, I do not troll, and I can assure you I am not dumb.

And in any case, I'm sure Grindle is perfectly capable of responding for him or herself.

Cool, I'll bite.
    So society should pressurize people with low incomes/savings into aborting a foetus that is at risk of developing into a disabled child?
    Society shouldn't pressure at all, each person should be responsible for their own choices.
    Should I? I'd take what was taken from me first...
    But I wouldn't like to be dependent on anybody. I was a leech on my father for a few years, and I hate that version of me.
    Personally, I'd say my goodbyes and swan off to Rainbow Bridge, if they'll have me, yes.
    Life is odd enough, I wouldn't want it to be more severe, to feel incapacitated.
    Smeggy wrote: »
    There are worse people out there 'scrounging from your wages' than people with disabilities!
    ...and I'm always wondering why they can't be aborted.

Society shouldn't pressure at all, each person should be responsible for their own choices.

That's fair enough, but if your view were to become mainstream enough, then it would become a part of the decision-making process; ie the decision to abort a foetus with a disability would be influenced by societal pressure, even if that pressure was largely unspoken.

I'm all for birth-control and family planning education, believe abortion should be available relatively easily and think that people should definitely not stand to gain financially by reproducing.

But the thought of people basing the decision to abort on whether the tax-payer will be hurt or not is an idea that I find rather depressing, I must say. But that's only my own view on it.

• Advertisement

There are people who would not be willing to become the parents of a child with DS or other disability.

I would never be willing to have anything to do with people who would reject a child because the child had a disability.
    I congratulate you on your sheltered and naive existance, but then again are you certain none of the people you know has had a termination for that reason, oops did I burst your little perfection bubble?

Advertisement