Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samantha Brick & Aborting Down's Syndrome babies...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    so you didn't understand. I never suggested aborting a child because they could be badly behaved.
    The effect on the family was the only reason I suggested. I didn't say my friends had bad experiences with them either.
    I said it had a negative impact.
    Now on my 3 rd time explaining you might get that if not I don't care. Your responses are too troll like for me.

I think we understand each other, we just dont agree tbh

Moi? A troll? I could have said the same about your posts :P

Seriously though, alot of posts pee'd me off in this thread and I probably picked yours out of a long line.

So apologies :)
    As there are so many people here with close relationships with ds people maybe you can answer my question. Do ds people want to be like other people without ds?

That would partially give you a gauge on how they feel on their own situation.

I'm pretty sure they're oblivous to the fact they're different

I'm sorry i started this thread now :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

As there are so many people here with close relationships with ds people maybe you can answer my question. Do ds people want to be like other people without ds?

Like other people, people with DS have a variety of views, opinions and abilities. You can't make any sweeping statement about what people with DS want or don't want.
    davet82 wrote: »

Some people with DS are most definitely aware of their difference.

Like other people, people with DS have a variety of views, opinions and abilities. You can't make any sweeping statement about what people with DS want or don't want.

Some people with DS are most definitely aware of their difference.

I should have added i was guessing, I didn't know tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

LordSmeg wrote: »
    I've explained my argument but you refuse to address it. You havent challenged anything, you have failed to even remotely address the argument let alone offer an alternative view. "Your wrong" doesnt really cut it I'm afraid.

You dont seem like the happy go lucky type and to be honest I'd probably have gotten a better discussion out of a turnip. I'm not sure this is going anywhere. Trying to discuss things rationally and reasonably is pretty pointless when the other side can do nothing but try to shout you down out of pure ignorance.

Good day.

lol :D Depends on the level of narcotics one consumes before conversation with said turnip I suppose.
    Didn't meant to "shout you down" if thats how you feel, but I take offence at somebody who doesn't know me having the arrogance to turn around and say, with 100% confidence, "you are not happy" - I just dont think it's your place to say this, and certainly using the fact that I challenged this statement to say that I am "narky" and clearly not "happy go lucky" is just silly. By your criteria, all the "happy people" are not allowed to retort to posts with any sort of strength in their convictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I'm sorry i started this thread now :o
    I can say with certainty they are aware they are different and recognise people similar to themselves.
    There is different ranges of how effected by the condition. There also the real fact they will be called names growing up. The aggressive kid near me was angry about being out smarted and being treated differently. Ds people are surely self aware in most cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    lol :D Depends on the level of narcotics one consumes before conversation with said turnip I suppose.
    Didn't meant to "shout you down" if thats how you feel, but I take offence at somebody who doesn't know me having the arrogance to turn around and say, with 100% confidence, "you are not happy" - I just dont think it's your place to say this, and certainly using the fact that I challenged this statement to say that I am "narky" and clearly not "happy go lucky" is just silly. By your criteria, all the "happy people" are not allowed to retort to posts with any sort of strength in their convictions.

I was making the point in regards to happiness itself, your not the only one who experience that and its no different for you than it is for anyone else. We have all evolved to utilise experiences like that for our biological needs. So I dont think its arrogant to discuss it considering its something that does apply to everyone. And if you re-read my posts you'll note I never once said "you are not happy". I never questioned how happy you were only how that happiness relates to life on the whole and how relevant it was in terms of the topic of this thread. As grounds for the creation of a human being. So in my view I said nothing to offend you at all.

And you responded to me using roll eyes, calling me arrogant, asking me what makes me so special, telling me to get over myself, throwing out sarcastic responses. So you set the level of response yourself, dont be pulling the victim routine out now and trying to paint me as the bad guy because you took offence to something I didnt even say and proceeded to engage in a very petty way.

If you dont like being spoken to in that manner then dont engage people in that manner.

I was making the point in regards to happiness itself, your not the only one who experience that and its no different for you than it is for anyone else. We have all evolved to utilise experiences like that for our biological needs. So I dont think its arrogant to discuss it considering its something that does apply to everyone. And if you re-read my posts you'll note I never once said "you are not happy". I never questioned how happy you were only how that happiness relates to life on the whole and how relevant it was in terms of the topic of this thread. As grounds for the creation of a human being. So in my view I said nothing to offend you at all.

And you responded to me using roll eyes, calling me arrogant, asking me what makes me so special, telling me to get over myself, throwing out sarcastic responses. So you set the level of response yourself, dont be pulling the victim routine out now and trying to paint me as the bad guy because you took offence to something I didnt even say and proceeded to engage in a very petty way.

If you dont like being spoken to in that manner then dont engage people in that manner.

Ok so lets pretend post 382 ("Your happy sometimes and unhappy other times") never happened ;)

I happen to like sarcasm (giving and receiving mind) as I feel it adds a certain quality and humour to the argument (if you want to argue with an encylopedia go ahead).

For someone who has spent the past 10 or more posts trying to convince us of the misery of 7 billion people I find it difficult to believe that you can now come out and say,"I never said that" :rolleyes:

And yes I do think you are arrogant, or rather, since I dont know you, I find it arrogant of you to assume that you can dictate to anyone that you do not know about their state of emotional wellbeing, based solely on the fact that they are mortal, and they dare to answer you back. (I refer you to your "not so happy go lucky" and "narky" comments.

Anyways off to lunch. Hope you have a happy day :D (whats left of it)

Ok so lets pretend post 382 ("Your happy sometimes and unhappy other times") never happened ;)

But thats a fact not an assumption of your experience. If you were never unhappy then happiness would have no meaning for you. Its a known fact that human being experience a wide range of emotions. Your a human being so its perfectly acceptable to assume your experience those same emotions as the rest of the 7 billion people on the planet.
    I happen to like sarcasm (giving and receiving mind) as I feel it adds a certain quality and humour to the argument (if you want to argue with an encylopedia go ahead).

Are you serious ? You think sarcasm adds quality to an argument ? Its a lazy man's tool to dismiss and ridicule someone else's point or opinion instead of engaging it. I'm actually astounded that you think sarcasm is quality debate.
    For someone who has spent the past 10 or more posts trying to convince us of the misery of 7 billion people I find it difficult to believe that you can now come out and say,"I never said that" :rolleyes:

That makes no sense, I have been arguing about existence and what constitutes good reasoning in creating a self aware being. You took offence to me saying you were human (when I assumed you experienced human emotion) and decided to engage in a childish sarcastic and petty way. You yourself said you took offence to me saying "you are not happy" which I never did.
    And yes I do think you are arrogant, or rather, since I dont know you, I find it arrogant of you to assume that you can dictate to anyone that you do not know about their state of emotional wellbeing, based solely on the fact that they are mortal, and they dare to answer you back. (I refer you to your "not so happy go lucky" and "narky" comments.

Well seeing as you think sarcasm is quality debate and you have done nothing but act like a child and misinterpret everything I have said I wont take offence. Your obviously a very confused individual.
    Anyways off to lunch. Hope you have a happy day :D (whats left of it)

Enjoy your lunch, try not to take offence at the lunch lady being so arrogant as to expect you to be hungry. If you do then enjoy your high quality sarcastic debate.

But thats a fact not an assumption of your experience. If you were never unhappy then happiness would have no meaning for you. Its a known fact that human being experience a wide range of emotions. Your a human being so its perfectly acceptable to assume your experience those same emotions as the rest of the 7 billion people on the planet.

Are you serious ? You think sarcasm adds quality to an argument ? Its a lazy man's tool to dismiss and ridicule someone else's point or opinion instead of engaging it. I'm actually astounded that you think sarcasm is quality debate.

That makes no sense, I have been arguing about existence and what constitutes good reasoning in creating a self aware being. You took offence to me saying you were human (when I assumed you experienced human emotion) and decided to engage in a childish sarcastic and petty way. You yourself said you took offence to me saying "you are not happy" which I never did.

Well seeing as you think sarcasm is quality debate and you have done nothing but act like a child and misinterpret everything I have said I wont take offence. Your obviously a very confused individual.

Enjoy your lunch, try not to take offence at the lunch lady being so arrogant as to expect you to be hungry. If you do then enjoy your high quality sarcastic debate.

Lunch lady? lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Back on topic lads?

So.....kill em all? :p

• Advertisement

Lunch lady? lol :D

You gonna try tell me now your capable of feeding yourself ?? Hahaha pull the other one.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Back on topic lads?

So.....kill em all? :p

Back on topic.

Considering it is not unreasonable to create the child based on the wants of two individuals then it shouldnt be unreasonable to terminate it based on wants of those same individuals.

You gonna try tell me now your capable of feeding yourself ?? Hahaha pull the other one.

I'm capable of making a sandwich at home...amazing what happy people can achieve these days but anyway...like you said, back on topic :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 85 ✭✭The Kop

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Its as good a reason as any to terminate a pregnancy, and probably a better reason than most. No issue with it really.

Fool.

Back on topic.

Considering it is not unreasonable to create the child based on the wants of two individuals then it shouldnt be unreasonable to terminate it based on wants of those same individuals.

Annoyingly, this line of logic appears to make sense in a way, I'll admit.

This is a reall reall y touchy subject as almost everyone know's a person with a DS child , brother, uncle etc.

I have spoke with this before with my GF and MY opinion (you don't have to like it, that's why it's my opinion) is that i would strongly consider the abortion option in the case of a DS baby as looking after a child my whole life into my old age with so much difficulty is just not what i have planned. Sorry if it sounds selfish but i would not want a DS child.

How do you know you would have to look after the child well into your old age.
    Do you actually know anything about Down Syndrome?

I would abort.

As much as down syndrome parents say they do, affected children have no life. Its cruelty to the child to keep it, and selfish in the extreme.
    Add to that the cost of full-time care, borne either by the parents or the state, for someone who will never be productive, or even a partially functioning member of the community.

Extreme selfishness and cruelty to keep the child.

My God you are ignorant and clueless.

Truth be told, you will never be able to interact with a DS child as you will with normal children.
    What a crock of horse****.
    You haven't a clue.
    How do you know this to be true? I mean really how do you know?

Annoyingly, this line of logic appears to make sense in a way, I'll admit.

Does too. "shakes fists".

The Kop wrote: »
    What a crock of horse****.
    You haven't a clue.
    How do you know this to be true? I mean really how do you know?

Your last 3 posts have been nothing short of abusive, and make no attempt to present a counter-argument or anything.

How do i know? I don't, it's my opinion, nothing more, and one I'm entitled to have.

Can i hold an opinion about F1 despite not being a driver/mechanic, etc? yes i can. Can i hold an opinion about space travel despite having nothing to do with NASA etc? Why yes i can!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Your last 3 posts have been nothing short of abusive, and make no attempt to present a counter-argument or anything.

How do i know? I don't, it's my opinion, nothing more, and one I'm entitled to have.

Can i hold an opinion about F1 despite not being a driver/mechanic, etc? yes i can. Can i hold an opinion about space travel despite having nothing to do with NASA etc? Why yes i can!

If you don't know it too be true then you shouldn't be making matter of fact statements about it.
    I have a child with DS( btw he is a child with DS not a DS child, he is not the condition he has the condition)

There are some really ignorant and uninformed opinions being expressed about DS on here. Sadly that is what we are up against and people are giving opinions about life with a child with DS without actually knowing anything about it.

On the abortion issue I would be very much pro choice.
    We didn't know our son had DS until he was born.
    I often wonder what we would have done had we found out, I'm glad now though that we didn't know because I really dont know what we would have done and we could have just as easily have went through with aborting as not.
    I wouldn't change my son for the world and I can't bear to think of life without him and I am glad we didn't have to make the choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

I never understand this argument, as if the statement 'It's just my opinion' means you can say anything at all.

OK...I don't know anything about NASA, but it's my opinion that most astronauts go into a deep depression after returning from space.

Casey78 wrote: »
    If you don't know it too be true then you shouldn't be making matter of fact statements about it.
    I have a child with DS( btw he is a child with DS not a DS child, he is not the condition he has the condition)

There are some really ignorant and uninformed opinions being expressed about DS on here. Sadly that is what we are up against and people are giving opinions about life with a child with DS without actually knowing anything about it.

On the abortion issue I would be very much pro choice.
    We didn't know our son had DS until he was born.
    I often wonder what we would have done had we found out, I'm glad now though that we didn't know because I really dont know what we would have done and we could have just as easily have went through with aborting as not.
    I wouldn't change my son for the world and I can't bear to think of life without him and I am glad we didn't have to make the choice.

Totally agree with the bit in bold.
    Do you know what my life has been like with raising a child with DS??
    Absolutely fcuking great.
    My son is 24 now and is living with a few other friends in an apartment.
    We check in on him once a week and he rings every now and again,like any son would.
    He has a job working with computers so those worrying about a few quid of the tax payers money going to him can go and take a jump as my son is paying his own Tax.
    We have seen nearly every corner of the world travelling with him to Special Olympics.
    We have been to Nagano,Shanghai,Athens and are planning to go to the next winter games in PyeongChang and the summer games in Los Angeles.
    We have also been all over Europe at European games.

My point being would I have been to all these places if my son hadn't DS?
    My life is good,my son with DS is working,living with independence and is enjoying life.
    My other sons and daughters have often commented they feel they are better people because of their brother and one has even gone on to train as speech therapist to help other kids with DS.

With the Early Intervention services available nowadays which didn't exist when my son was young,kids with DS are doing even more than anyone thought capable.

It is MY OPINION that people want to abort kids with DS for their own selfish reasons and because they are totally uninformed about Down Syndrome and are basing everything they know on outdated stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

We check in on him once a week and he rings every now and again,like any son would.
    He has a job working with computers so those worrying about a few quid of the tax payers money going to him can go and take a jump as my son is paying his own Tax.
    We have seen nearly every corner of the world travelling with him to Special Olympics.
    We have been to Nagano,Shanghai,Athens and are planning to go to the next winter games in PyeongChang and the summer games in Los Angeles.

My life is good,my son with DS is working,living with independence and is enjoying life.
    My other sons and daughters have often commented they feel they are better people because of their brother and one has even gone on to train as speech therapist to help other kids with DS.

With the Early Intervention services available nowadays which didn't exist when my son was young,kids with DS are doing even more than anyone thought capable.

It is MY OPINION that people want to abort kids with DS for their own selfish reasons and because they are totally uninformed about Down Syndrome and are basing everything they know on outdated stereotypes.
    Post of the Week!

Smell of hypocrisy and double standards in that post. Your denouncing people having abortions because its selfish while going to great lengths to tell us all how you have benefited from your son.

Abortion is viable option for people and its no more selfish than you getting great pleasure from raising your son. All peoples motives are selfish in nature and its complete naivety to think otherwise.

You came into this thread with a chip on your shoulder and started insulting people left right an centre. I'm sure you'll get a billion thanks as every other "I have a kid with down syndrome and they are great" post has. But it doesnt do one damn fcukin thing for the matter at the centre of this argument. Abortion is still an option, the decision rests with the parents and whatever they decide for whatever reason is perfectly acceptable and for every down syndrome kid like yours living a fantastic life there are others who dont. Same as kids who grow up in financially strapped families, or abusive families. If a parent thinks their kid will face hardships for whatever reason and decided to terminate the pregnancy then that is absolutely fine.

Smell of hypocrisy and double standards in that post. Your denouncing people having abortions because its selfish while going to great lengths to tell us all how you have benefited from your son.

Abortion is viable option for people and its no more selfish than you getting great pleasure from raising your son. All peoples motives are selfish in nature and its complete naivety to think otherwise.

You came into this thread with a chip on your shoulder and started insulting people left right an centre. I'm sure you'll get a billion thanks as every other "I have a kid with down syndrome and they are great" post has. But it doesnt do one damn fcukin thing for the matter at the centre of this argument. Abortion is still an option, the decision rests with the parents and whatever they decide for whatever reason is perfectly acceptable and for every down syndrome kid like yours living a fantastic life there are others who dont. Same as kids who grow up in financially strapped families, or abusive families. If a parent thinks their kid will face hardships for whatever reason and decided to terminate the pregnancy then that is absolutely fine.

No it's absolutely fine IN YOUR OPINION.

My real gripe is not the abortion aspect anyway though I don't agree with it.
    What really annoys me is people giving opinions on something they haven't and couldn't have a clue about.
    Surely you agree some of the posts saying life with a child with DS WOULD be a burden,and the parents or siblings could never be happy etc etc are based on a stereotype? and people shouldn't be making statements like

Truth be told, you will never be able to interact with a DS child as you will with normal children.

without having any knowledge whatsoever about Down Syndrome.

Yes I came into this thread gung ho and all guns blazing but some of the drivel being posted about DS is beyond stupid and as I said is based on an outdated stereotype.

In all fairness i think the arguement that was presented was to show the sterotypical view of people with DS to be wrong.

Of course it would be a defensive post, have you read some of the shyte posted on this thread?

Of course people are going to thank people that have went to the trouble of giving the personel and private experince with a DS child as they're most likely to know what the fcuk they're talking about, regardless of their views. There has been posts of pro-choicers with DS children, I dont agree with some opinion they made but i thanked them because they shared their story.

Take it easy smeg, i much prefer you in the píss take threads :)

No it's absolutely fine IN YOUR OPINION.

My real gripe is not the abortion aspect anyway though I don't agree with it.
    What really annoys me is people giving opinions on something they haven't and couldn't have a clue about.
    Surely you agree some of the posts saying life with a child with DS WOULD be a burden,and the parents or siblings could never be happy etc etc are based on a stereotype? and people shouldn't be making statements like

without having any knowledge whatsoever about Down Syndrome.

Yes I came into this thread gung ho and all guns blazing but some of the drivel being posted about DS is beyond stupid and as I said is based on an outdated stereotype.

There may be an outdated stereotypical view and some stuff that has been said has been based on it but there are still elements of truth in it for a lot of people. I grew up with a relation that has down syndrome and he certainly was at a huge disadvantage in life. Then again a lot of people are simply because of circumstance.

My point is that if a parent fears that their kid would be at a disadvantage because of down syndrome then its a valid reason, same as if they felt their kid would be at a disadvantage because of their financial situation. And a kid with down syndrome would be more likely to be at a disadvantage. I'm sure any kid born into a loving family will prosper though no matter what but the decision in regards to abortion to me doesnt make people selfish and uninterested din caring for a child. They are valid concerns and valid reasons to terminate a pregnancy in my view.

In all fairness i think the arguement that was presented was to show the sterotypical view of people with DS to be wrong.

Of course it would be a defensive post, have you read some of the shyte posted on this thread?

Of course people are going to thank people that have went to the trouble of giving the personel and private experince with a DS child as they're most likely to know what the fcuk they're talking about, regardless of their views. There has been posts of pro-choicers with DS children, I dont agree with some opinion they made but i thanked them because they shared their story.

Take it easy smeg, i much prefer you in the píss take threads :)

I have read a lot of shíte on this thread and given the OP's previous contribution I may have been a bit too harsh I suppose. I have no problem with people thanking posts but in a lot of threads very general stuff like "My kid is doing good" gets thanked while the underlying message also gets validated along with it.

I'm sure everybody here is happy for the guy and the kid that they are doing so well. But my problem is that it often adds clout to tagged on points which really have little to do with the underlying issue. In that last post I felt his last bit about people being selfish for having an abortion was being tagged onto the end.

I'm calm though, rage has subsided, urge to kill fading.

• Advertisement

There may be an outdated stereotypical view and some stuff that has been said has been based on it but there are still elements of truth in it for a lot of people. I grew up with a relation that has down syndrome and he certainly was at a huge disadvantage in life. Then again a lot of people are simply because of circumstance.

My point is that if a parent fears that their kid would be at a disadvantage because of down syndrome then its a valid reason, same as if they felt their kid would be at a disadvantage because of their financial situation. And a kid with down syndrome would be more likely to be at a disadvantage. I'm sure any kid born into a loving family will prosper though no matter what but the decision in regards to abortion to me doesnt make people selfish and uninterested din caring for a child. They are valid concerns and valid reasons to terminate a pregnancy in my view.

I'm fully aware there are different spectrum's and levels that a child with DS can have and reach though the same can be said for a 'typical' child.
    I know some can be severely affected,but I know this because I have been part of the DS world for over 20 years and not just based on what I think I know about DS.
    My problem is though that people think all people with DS are like your relation and none of them have any hope of having a good life,this is simply not true.

It annoys me to hear people talk about it like they have a clue what they are on about,most don't and most are ignorant to what can be achieved nowadays with Early Intervention.
    I also understand that people couldn't know unless they are involved with DS in someway,but I think these people should keep their opinions to themselves rather than shoot their mouth off with false 'facts' about DS.

I'm not going to debate the issue about abortion as I have already stated how I feel and I stand by that,as I said my main gripe is the ridiculous posts about DS that are based on an untrue stereotype.

Advertisement