Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samantha Brick & Aborting Down's Syndrome babies...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Personally I wouldnt want to have a kid that will likely have a bad experience in life. And I agree wholeheartedly with a woman's right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

But as far as i'm aware children/adults with DS are a little more oblivious to the hardships in life and are generally happier than us 'normal' people

(correct me if i'm wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭paul4green

In Denmark, people who know through amniocentesis that there baby has some form of aneuploidy, such as Down's Symdrome( 21), Edwards Syndrome(18) or Patau Syndrome(13) are encouraged to have an abortion.

Fair enough, yes Down's children can live relatively normal lives and have a life expectancy of ~40 , but babies with Edward's and Patau Syndrome are lucky to live past their first birthday. So, IMO aborting a baby because of a medical condition that has a drastic effect of standard of living i.e. The baby will never live a half decent life, is the correct decision.

Down's syndrome is a condition that many people have and continue to live with and have great lives, so I don't think it's acceptable to terminate the pregnancy because you don't want the hassle that comes with having a disabled child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭Siuin

I don't think anyone is in a position to judge someone else for having an abortion in such circumstances- after all, it's they who will have to live with the decision, not us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

davet82 wrote: »
    But as far as i'm aware children/adults with DS are a little more oblivious to the hardships in life and are generally happier than us 'normal' people

Youre dead right. A friend of mine used to work with people with down syndrome, in a summer camp. Id go and help out the odd time.

You'd be greeted with a big hug, all smiles. honestly i can say hand on heart they are they most beautiful, caring, loving people youll ever know.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Prettyfireworks

blanket statements such as yours are meaningless & utterly pointless.

What I said in my post was my opinion, which I am entitled to as is everybody else. I was merely sharing it along with the dozens of other posters here.

An no, it doesn't give me a moral high ground but I am speaking as somebody who has extensive experiences of growing up, helping and caring for my sisters with disabilities so I do think that entitles me to give my opinion on the matter of whether or not I think people should abort disabled babies.

My opinion may be different to yours but that does not make it any less valid.

• Advertisement

syndeyfife wrote: »

You'd be greeted with a big hug, all smiles. honestly i can say hand on heart they are they most beautiful, caring, loving people youll ever know.

They have the capacity to change other peoples lives for the better, which is a great thing, so the abortion subject isn't always the right thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

paul4green wrote: »
    In Denmark, people who know through amniocentesis that there baby has some form of aneuploidy, such as Down's Symdrome( 21), Edwards Syndrome(18) or Patau Syndrome(13) are encouraged to have an abortion.

Fair enough, yes Down's children can live relatively normal lives and have a life expectancy of ~40 , but babies with Edward's and Patau Syndrome are lucky to live past their first birthday. So, IMO aborting a baby because of a medical condition that has a drastic effect of standard of living i.e. The baby will never live a half decent life, is the correct decision.

Down's syndrome is a condition that many people have and continue to live with and have great lives, so I don't think it's acceptable to terminate the pregnancy because you don't want the hassle that comes with having a disabled child.

my uncle has Down's and just turned 50.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I wonder what her husband thinks of this. Not the abortion, we know what he thinks of that. But of us knowing what he thinks of that. I wouldn't like a very personal discussion such as this being published anywhere.

I wonder what her husband thinks of this. Not the abortion, we know what he thinks of that. But of us knowing what he thinks of that. I wouldn't like a very personal discussion such as this being published anywhere.

I dont think he gives a f*ck to be honest. He seems a bit strange too.

Course hes only delighted to have such radiant beauty on his arm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

My brother has Down's Syndrome and I find this woman's comments absolutely disgusting and show her ignorance toward the problems individuals with this syndrome face on a regular basis.

She is trying to protray her intentions as honourable from the point of view that she would be requiring money from the government to help raise the child and that her family would have to help her out...give me a break.
    its not like we are talking about a severe physical\mental problem where the baby's quality of life would be zero - its down's syndrome for God sake - i know a young lad who has it, has done his leaving cert, went to college, wrote and published a book!! my brother enjoys everything i do, and yet just because it may take a little longer for the usual phases in life to be reached abortion is the answer?

I'm angry at her and sad for her at the same time

Presumably your anti abortion altogether so? As already stated, if abortion is legal its up to the parents to decide if they want or dont want the baby, for whatever reasons they see fit.

This line seems to suggest that other reasons are ok? Who are you to decide whether someone leses reasons are good enough or not?
    The thought that a mother would abort her own child because of that is frightening.

Plus your being very one sided about the effects of downs too, the severity varies greatly.My cousins baby was born with downs 3 years ago. The child cant walk yet and the doctors think that might never change. There are a multitude of other medical problems the child has and as it stands may be lucky to make another few years as well as not progressing beyond being a young child (mentally). This child will not be sitting a leaving cert, going to college or publishing any books.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

syndeyfife wrote: »
    I didnt think Id 'want' a child with cerebral palsy, but i have one now and i wouldnt change him for the world.

I dread to think what i would have done if i was given a choice. Im against abortion, always have been, but you dont know you'd cope knowing you have the option there.

I like your post,
    I never thought that I'd ever become friends with a man with special needs, both intellectual and physical.
    I gained something in life when I was introduced to him, I had the time of my life working with him for 18 months and I regularly drop in to see him where he works and nothing gives me greater pleasure to sit down with him and moan about life while stuffing our faces with cream cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

Personally I wouldnt want to have a kid that will likely have a bad experience in life. And I agree wholeheartedly with a woman's right to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

In what way would they have a bad experience in life and who are we to make that decision for them?

mattjack wrote: »
    I like your post,
    I never thought that I'd ever become friends with a man with special needs, both intellectual and physical.
    I gained something in life when I was introduced to him, I had the time of my life working with him for 18 months and I regularly drop in to see him where he works and nothing gives me greater pleasure to sit down with him and moan about life while stuffing our faces with cream cakes.

That post made me smile. Im sure he values your friendship more than you know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What I said in my post was my opinion, which I am entitled to as is everybody else. I was merely sharing it along with the dozens of other posters here.

An no, it doesn't give me a moral high ground but I am speaking as somebody who has extensive experiences of growing up, helping and caring for my sisters with disabilities so I do think that entitles me to give my opinion on the matter of whether or not I think people should abort disabled babies.

My opinion may be different to yours but that does not make it any less valid.

I would take it as a given that you have an opinion which you are entitled to.

However, I also take exception to you dismissing people in blanket terms as "cowards". I don't see that such a statement adds anything to the debate or achieves anything other than to make you look like you are taking the moral high ground, whether intentional or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 xeiramnnax

blacklilly wrote: »
    You either agree with abortion or you don't, regardless of circumstances of conception.
    People choose to abort the unborn for reasons such as cleft palets, downs, spina bifida, disfigurements etc.

By your logic you believe women who concived naturally have the right to abort but the women who went through IVF does not have the right to abort if it is found the unborn has downs.
    That doesnt really make sense. You are attributing more rights to the women who was able to conceive naturally.

I am not at all offering more rights to women who can conceieve naturally. I am talking about women ending pregnancies who do not want children. Women and Men who will not provide a safe environment for a child to grow up in, or who are no in a position provide and care for the child with love and support should have the right to end that pregnancy and wait for a time or another partner when they are willing to commit to the upbringing of a child.

If a woman has entered IVF treatment with (expense/desire etc.) the want to have a child, surely, to end that pregnancy because of an illness which is not a death sentence is very flippant. It would be one thing if the child and mother were at serious risk of death.

So, no, I do not believe women have more rights who conceive naturally. I am shocked that a woman who has gone through that process, could end her chances of having a child because it is not "perfect" or completely "healthy".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

xeiramnnax wrote: »
    Just a thought when you said minding your child into old age : Anything can happen in life, you could have a perfectly healthy child reared and living independently. What happens if that person ends up in an road accident requiring physical care for the rest of his/her life.

Not everything goes to plan in life. No reason to end a life because it needs more care than others.

Thanks. If you re-read my post you will see that it is my personal opinion and what i have discussed with my GF. My opinion of course will be liked or not liked. We are not taking about car crashes in this thread, it's about DS babies..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

xeiramnnax wrote: »

If a woman has entered IVF treatment with (expense/desire etc.) the want to have a child, surely, to end that pregnancy because of an illness which is not a death sentence is very flippant. It would be one thing if the child and mother were at serious risk of death.

So, no, I do not believe women have more rights who conceive naturally. I am shocked that a woman who has gone through that process, could end her chances of having a child because it is not "perfect" or completely "healthy".

So you're saying that the solution to this is to force people into carrying a foetus full term even if it's against their will?

g'em wrote: »
    Genuine question for the people who have (fairly bravely and amazingly) said that they would abort a Down's Syndrome baby:

Agreeing that someone should have a choice to do something is not saying you would do it too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm not seeing the problem here, can someone explain please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 xeiramnnax

Thanks. We are not taking about car crashes in this thread, it's about DS babies..

That's a fair point, we are not talking about car crashes. When you said you don't see yourself looking after children when you grow old, I'm just merely stating that you could continue a pregnancy with a healthy child and end up with one who needs a lot more help than one with DS when you are in old age.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Agreeing that someone should have a choice to do something is not saying you would do it too.

I wasnt aware I was finger pointing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

davet82 wrote: »

I dont know if your right or wrong but in my experience the ones I have met have been all too aware of how they differ and it was a cause of great stress for them.

I take having kids a lot more seriously than most people though. I personally havent even fund a reason to have kids at all.

krudler wrote: »
    my uncle has Down's and just turned 50.

and my GF sister died at 16. Its a life expectancy, not a clock that stops as soon as you hit a certain age.If everyone with downs lived to 50, the life expectancy wouldnt be 40.

In what way would they have a bad experience in life and who are we to make that decision for them?

Who are you to make the decision that they should exist in the first place ?

g'em wrote: »
    I wasnt aware I was finger pointing...

You pointed at the people that said they would abort a downs feotus. I didnt see any such poeple. One said they would strongly consider it and others agreed with the right to choose.

The person that created them in the first place......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Alright so. If that's the highly defensive way you choose to interpret it, work away. I believe in choices and respect other people's right to them. I was merely offering another Opinion and pointed out it was a thoughtline I'd experienced myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I don't understand you comment? Its the parents decision whether they want to have a child - they go through the process (whether it be the natural way or IVF or whatever), that is a decision they make.....and then after, decide "nah its not what I was thinking of to be honest?"

The person that created them in the first place......

Whats that mean ? You did it because you could ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Why exactly do we keep drawing attention to Samantha Brick articles? I couldn't care less what her opinion is on any subject.

Advertisement