Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samantha Brick & Aborting Down's Syndrome babies...

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

I dont agree with the people here saying "Look, you either agree with abortion or you dont". That's complete crap and borne only of a bias against abortion. There are grey areas in life and this is one of them.
    A DS child may be all the great things that those who love them say. But the fact of the matter is that the child is not corpus mentis and will never be. They will never be able to go out and fend completely on their own and will always be dependant. It doesnt matter what they look like.
    I've never had to consider such an issue but it isnt as black and white as it is made out to be

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Im all for abortion, i think the woman should have the right to decide what she wants to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

Yes I would give an abortion serious consideration if I was expecting a baby with severe disabilities.
    At the end of the day I will grow old & die. Who takes care of the child/ adult then? Expect other siblings to care for them? Put them into care because no one else is willing to take them on?
    I don't think so.
    Call me selfish but my reasons would be more considerate of the disabled child rather than myself.
    Obviously anyone who has a disabled child loves them & wants the best for them but they honestly wish that the child wasn't disabled. Not for their sake, but for the child's.
    And I have to say that there is nothing more annoying than people paying more attention to a child or being overly smiley & friendly because they have a disability.
    Anyway, it's a decision I hope I never have to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Yes I would give an abortion serious consideration if I was expecting a baby with severe disabilities.
    At the end of the day I will grow old & die. Who takes care of the child/ adult then? Expect other siblings to care for them? Put them into care because no one else is willing to take them on?
    I don't think so.
    Call me selfish but my reasons would be more considerate of the disabled child rather than myself.
    Obviously anyone who has a disabled child loves them & wants the best for them but they honestly wish that the child wasn't disabled. Not for their sake, but for the child's.
    And I have to say that there is nothing more annoying than people paying more attention to a child or being overly smiley & friendly because they have a disability.

totally agree

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Wonder if my parents knew in advance that I would be bald for the first four years, have sticking out (ish) ears, one foot bigger than the other and be a big dirty lesbian would they have aborted me???
    Well you know them better than us, do you think they would have aborted you if they found a time machine and could look into the future and see how you live today.

Not being funny, but where do we draw the line? When we open the door called "lets abort the baby because it has x,y or z wrong with it"...how far does it go?
    We're talking about pretty fundamental disabilities here, there's very little else they can even test for other than major things like this. They can't know if you'll be gay, or what colour your hair will be, or how you'll look in 16 years when your fully developed, or even if you'll have x, y or z.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

People coming out saying I know someone with DS and he/she is so lovely and mixing that into the discussion are really not getting the point. The point is you are making that decision at a point where he/she is not an actual person yet.
    Then they are saying but would you not ever think about the person it might have become? Well I might but I may also think about the person that never came about because I chose to keep the DS foetus instead That child who would have had a chance at playing outside and not being spoon fed age 17 (chill I'm exaggerating).
    It's all about what ifs and dunnos and there is no easy and no right decision. It's just a horrible decision to be faced with either way.
    I dont understand why some get all high and mighty. The woman seems a tool but the question she rises is a very valid one.

So once a kid is healthy it's fine to abort it because of how it would affect the parent's life but if it's unhealthy it's not ok to take into account the possible massive extra impact such disabilities could have. Sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,788 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

If you're for abortion - as I am - then you don't get to pick and choose. If someone wants to make the decision for this decision, it's nobody else's business. If my girlfriend and I were expecting and we discovered that the baby had Down's Syndrome, I don't know what our decision would be but we would definitely give everything serious consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

your 3 year old falls off a bike and his injuries result in him being disabled (lets pretend for a second its legal to euthanize a child) would you go ahead with it?

For all the people who said they would terminate a disabled child.

davet82 wrote: »
    your 3 year old falls off a bike and his injuries result in him being disabled (lets pretend for a second its legal to euthanize a child) would you go ahead with it?

For all the people who said they would terminate a disabled child.

It's hardly a fair comparison is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

syndeyfife wrote: »
    Well then you'll have to google it because I genuinely havent a clue. Im training to be a midwife in a country that doesnt allow abortion lol
    Technically abortion is legal in Ireland under the X Case ruling by the Supreme Court. Sadly the courts ruling and that of the European Court have yet to be legislated for by our cowardly politicans, but as things stand abortion is legal in Ireland under certain circumstances.

RVP 11 wrote: »
    It's hardly a fair comparison is it?

not really to be fair but there are a few posts saying its for the childs sake they would abort because if its disabilities

its not a great comparison tbh as depends if you view a fetus as a child or just a bundle of cells i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

IrishAm wrote: »
    Abortion is murder. Make up all the excuses and arguments you want. Still murder.

In your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Abortion is murder. Make up all the excuses and arguments you want. Still murder.

I may be mistaken, but aren't you a supporter of the Provisional IRA?

Funny old world.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

I don't think I could ever abort I really don't think I could live with it.

I do believe it takes a very special and selfless person to care for a child with a disability.

I don't however agree with termination after 12 weeks. That to me is a human being and unless there is a life of death issue for either the mother or the child, it shouldn't be allowed.

Just my opinion. But in all fairness what woman do you know doesn't realise she is pregnant (wanted or not) before then.

Surely 12 weeks is enough time to make up your mind.

Yamanoto wrote: »
    I may be mistaken, but aren't you a supporter of the Provisional IRA?

Funny old world.

Classic.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

jessiejam wrote: »
    I don't think I could ever abort I really don't think I could live with it.

I do believe it takes a very special and selfless person to care for a child with a disability.

I don't however agree with termination after 12 weeks. That to me is a human being and unless there is a life of death issue for either the mother or the child, it shouldn't be allowed.

Just my opinion. But in all fairness what woman do you know doesn't realise she is pregnant (wanted or not) before then.

Surely 12 weeks is enough time to make up your mind.

I didnt realise i was pregnant until I was 11 weeks gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

That's it. Any DS kids I've come into contact with are pretty amazing kids.
    I disagree. They're just like other kids. Some are amazing. Some are annoying. Some are obnoxious. Some are beautiful. They're just like other kids. They're not heroes or angels. They're just kids with a particular genetic condition.
    I remember doing a weeks community service in a local home for the handicapped as part of transition year, I remember wondering aloud why the vast majority of the inmates (all severely mentally disabled to various degrees, downs, other conditions etc.) never seemed to have anyone visiting them.
    That's an interesting question all right. But the more important question is why are these people with disabilities living in a 'home for the handicapped' segregated from the rest of society. Why aren't they living in a house, or an apartment - getting the support they need to live their own life? That's the key question.
    I don't think so.
    The 'who will take care of the question' doesn't just apply to kids with disabilities. It applies to kids with broken marriages, and kids with negative equity, and kids with depression, and kids with unhealthy relationships.

Many people with disabilities can lead fulfilling independent lives of their own choosing with a small bit of support.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Should have said the majority. I knew at 5 weeks on both my kids. Just don't think its fair that someone at 24 weeks can have an abortion. For whatever reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I didn't know you were a lady person.

• Advertisement

jessiejam wrote: »
    Should have said the majority. I knew at 5 weeks on both my kids. Just don't think its fair that someone at 24 weeks can have an abortion. For whatever reason.

Jesus dont take my word on that, I genuinely havent a clue!!

mattjack wrote: »
    I didn't know you were a lady person.

Pic not give it away no? :D

That's it. Any DS kids I've come into contact with are pretty amazing kids.
    I disagree. They're just like other kids. Some are amazing. Some are annoying. Some are obnoxious. Some are beautiful. They're just like other kids. They're not heroes or angels. They're just kids with a particular genetic condition.
    I remember doing a weeks community service in a local home for the handicapped as part of transition year, I remember wondering aloud why the vast majority of the inmates (all severely mentally disabled to various degrees, downs, other conditions etc.) never seemed to have anyone visiting them.
    That's an interesting question all right. But the more important question is why are these people with disabilities living in a 'home for the handicapped' segregated from the rest of society. Why aren't they living in a house, or an apartment - getting the support they need to live their own life? That's the key question.
    I don't think so.
    The 'who will take care of the question' doesn't just apply to kids with disabilities. It applies to kids with broken marriages, and kids with negative equity, and kids with depression, and kids with unhealthy relationships.

Many people with disabilities can lead fulfilling independent lives of their own choosing with a small bit of support.
    Massive difference in what you listed compared to someone who maybe can't cook for themselves or see the possible danger in befriending strangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Massive difference in what you listed compared to someone who maybe can't cook for themselves or see the possible danger in befriending strangers.

Cooking and dealing with strangers are very easily managed - either with visiting services, or just using take-aways, or with personal assistance services, or using technology - including controlled remote access and monitoring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

stovelid wrote: »
    Quit with the emotional reductionism. You know what I mean.

Er...ok :rolleyes:

It's a question (is it ok for people to abort their unborn based on, for example, appearances?) and a statement of my opinion (that I do not like the idea of above)

So no, not "emotional reductionism" - a question and an opinion. Is that ok with you????

Cooking and dealing with strangers are very easily managed - either with visiting services, or just using take-aways, or with personal assistance services, or using technology - including controlled remote access and monitoring.
    Your idea of independent living is sounding more like an institution.

Your idea of independent living is sounding more like an institution.

sounds more like what they do with old people tbh :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

blacklilly wrote: »
    xeiramnnax wrote: »
    I 100% agree with a couple's choice to end a pregnancy. Particularly unwanted pregnancies, or where parents are in no way capable of providing a child with a decent future.

However, to want a child badly enough to go through the ordeal of IVF to only go and abort a baby because it has DS I do not agree with. I know many people who live long/fulfilling lives with DS. It is not a black and white issue of course, but I think it is very selfish to abort a baby because it is not the "ideal" after longing for a baby for so long.

:)

You either agree with abortion or you don't, regardless of circumstances of conception.
    People choose to abort the unborn for reasons such as cleft palets, downs, spina bifida, disfigurements etc.

By your logic you believe women who concived naturally have the right to abort but the women who went through IVF does not have the right to abort if it is found the unborn has downs.
    That doesnt really make sense. You are attributing more rights to the women who was able to conceive naturally.

So someone who wants to abort because it's a girl when they wanted a boy should have as much a right as someone who was raped and got pregnant as a result?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I don't know, I really don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

g'em wrote: »
    Genuine question for the people who have (fairly bravely and amazingly) said that they would abort a Down's Syndrome baby:

Have you ever known or cared for or loved a person with Down's Syndrome? A more loving, kind, full-of-life person you could not wish to meet. They have an attitude and take on life that I really don't think non-Down's individuals can have. At one time I think I would have seen a Down's baby as being a burden, a life sentence and someone that I would tie me down until my later years. But with my hand on my heart I have never experienced anything but joy with a child or adult with Down's. They have all been wonderful.

The only 'burden' in having a child with Down's is the stigma attached to them.

In related news a Down Syndrome baby has just become a model for a Spanish swimwear company. She's only flipping gorgeous :)

http://aww.ninemsn.com.au/style/fashion/8504787/down-syndrome-baby-becomes-swimwear-model

While you've had nothing but good experiences, you can't apply your own experiences to everyone else's lives.

Women choose to have abortions for many reasons but usually the ultimate driving factor behind the choice is that they feel that they will not be able to give the child the standard of life that they deserve to have.

This would - I imagine - apply even more so to someone who knows their child will be born Down Syndrome. It's highly disingenuous to suggest that the only burden of having a DS child is the "stigma". In fact, I would suggest that this is probably the least burdening thought when you take into account the additional effort & resources it takes to raise a child with DS.

You can flash a picture of a DS child modelling swimwear in Spain as an argument against people who decide not to carry a DS child full term, but you could easily do the same with any non-DS child model in an argument against anyone who chooses to have an abortion.

Advertisement