Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samantha Brick & Aborting Down's Syndrome babies...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Ms.M wrote: »
    Fair enough, to each their own but nobody can tell you that with certainty. I'm not implying that everybody who'd consider aborting a DS baby would do it for "I just couldn't cope" reasons, but for those that do, for those that think they wouldn't be able to cope with anything but a high-functioning perfect bambino, they should consider whether conceiving in the fist place is worth the risk. They're very likely to be disappointed.

DS isn't genetic at all. It's just a chromosomal abnormality. There is the lack of family-planning in old Catholic Ireland; people having kids when they were probably too old to. The risk increases with the age of the mother.

Down Syndrome CAN be hereditary, although it is a tiny minority. Approximately 1% of translocation trisomies are inherited.
    However as you say most is caused by a chromosomal abnormality that cannot be predicted although the risk increases with age. That's not to say it can't happen to a younger mum, my mother in law had a child with Down Syndrome (Trisomy 21 -non hereditary) at 23.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

As a father of a 3 year old with DS I can hand on heart say we love him immensely and we did have that discussion when we found out

Most adults that you see with DS have not had the education and early intervention that DS babies get these days as most of it was not understood, Imagine any person who does not get educated properly and how they would be, With this in mind it's less scary as you realise they have far more potential than you may have thought

I would not berate anyone for considering it as it is a scary thing to envision, But when you find out more and see the potentials then you may look at it differently, For us we made the right choice and he is great just like my other little fella who is not DS

Everyone to there own, I'm pro choice but personally I don't think its a great reason and most people who educate themselves on the matter will not make terminate.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Very Hungry Catterpillar

darced wrote: »
    Pleased to meet you - I have no regrets nor am I haunted. Will tell you my story any time, not everyone's story is "shocking".:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

She's a self publicising wind up merchant, fair dues to her.
    Like Jordan but with smaller tits.
    Every daytime talk show are mad to get her on = $$$$$

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Pleased to meet you - I have no regrets nor am I haunted. Will tell you my story any time, not everyone's story is "shocking".:)

I think for pro lifers, the shock factor comes from the fact that an abortion has taken place, it is not determined by how the "story" is told. Personally, as someone who is pro life, I dont want to hear anyones "story", no offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    I think for pro lifers, the shock factor comes from the fact that an abortion has taken place, it is not determined by how the "story" is told. Personally, as someone who is pro life, I dont want to hear anyones "story", no offence.
    None taken, guess we'll agree to differ on our interpretation of what is "shocking" - was just pointing out that there are people such as myself who live perfectly normal lives after terminating a pregnancy free from any sense of regret or being forever haunted.

In fairness I am going on personal experience so when I say not everyone becomes a regretful, haunted wreck following termination of a pregnancy I am talking about me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Did it ever cross your mind that for some of the people who are haunted by it or traumatised by it, this may be in part because we live in a country where they are called murderers by people like your good self?

Perhaps if the woman's right to choose was a given, rather than something she had to fight for, and there was no stigma attached, many women who go through with the procedure would cope a lot better. Perhaps with no ill-effects.

But the fact is pro-lifers don't want women to come out of an abortion unharmed. They want them to be crippled by guilt and haunted by pain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Diapason

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Personally, as someone who is pro life, I dont want to hear anyones "story", no offence.

No matter what side of the fence you're on, choosing ignorance over knowledge doesn't make sense to me.

None taken, guess we'll agree to differ on our interpretation of what is "shocking" - was just pointing out that there are people such as myself who live perfectly normal lives after terminating a pregnancy free from any sense of regret or being forever haunted.

Of course. I guess it figures that anit-abortionists find it shocking and pro-choicers not so much. Makes sense.

Diapason wrote: »
    No matter what side of the fence you're on, choosing ignorance over knowledge doesn't make sense to me.

Not wanting to hear the details of someone's abortion does not make you ignorant. We are all aware of what happens, the different "procedures" carried out depending on how developed the foetus is etc, we dont need to hear the stories to make it any more real.

Kooli wrote: »
    Did it ever cross your mind that for some of the people who are haunted by it or traumatised by it, this may be in part because we live in a country where they are called murderers by people like your good self?

Perhaps if the woman's right to choose was a given, rather than something she had to fight for, and there was no stigma attached, many women who go through with the procedure would cope a lot better. Perhaps with no ill-effects.

But the fact is pro-lifers don't want women to come out of an abortion unharmed. They want them to be crippled by guilt and haunted by pain.[/QUOTE]

Wow, generalise much? I am pro life but I certainly do not wish to see any woman crippled with guilt. I am aware that there are fanatics who think the guilt is some form of sick punishment for murdering the unborn but I am certainly not one of them.

Also, it's a little crass to use pro lifers as a scapegoat for the guilt associated with having an abortion. It's also insulting to these women to imply that they only experience these feelings because essentially, pro lifers tell them they should. We are all human beings with the ability to distinguish between whats right and wrong for us, and the ability to see the consequences of our actions etc, so its not compleptely crazy to suggest that these women feel guilty because maybe it wasn't the right decision for them. It's not like they are skipping along through life without a care in the world and they suddenly see a picture of an aborted foetus (tactics I dont agree with) and become aware of morality and regret all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

But the fact is pro-lifers don't want women to come out of an abortion unharmed. They want them to be crippled by guilt and haunted by pain.
    Utter, utter, utter bullshit.
    That's as farcical, and offensive as saying that all "pro-abortion" people see women as whores who don't have the intelligence to use contraception.

(you see we can both make up offensive bull**** when required)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Zulu wrote: »
    That's as farcical, and offensive as saying that all "pro-abortion" people see women as whores who don't have the intelligence to use contraception.

Thats ridiculous and makes no sense no matter how you look at it. Pro choice side sees women as human beings who should have the choice to decide things in relation to their life and their body.

The pro life side sees women who have abortions as murderers and do all in their power to instil the guilt and pain involved with that in those who have abortions.

We can both make up offensive bullshít but there is only side side actively doing that.

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous and makes no sense...
    That was my point. It was deliberately as farcical as Kooli's assertion.
    Pro choice side sees women as human beings...
    The pro life side sees women who have abortions as murderers...
    Oh right, I see. Your propaganda is right. :rolleyes:
    We can both make up offensive bullshít but there is only side side actively doing that.
    Indeed. I made a point of making a ridiculous statement to highlight a blatantly extremist attitude, you seem to be intent on supporting a blatantly extremist attitude.

But hey, sure don't worry about it guy, all "pro-lifers" are the extremists who "see women as murderers". :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Thats ridiculous and makes no sense no matter how you look at it. Pro choice side sees women as human beings who should have the choice to decide things in relation to their life and their body.

pro-life see a fetus as a developing human being, pro-choice dont

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

davet82 wrote: »
    Pro choice see fetus as a fetus, prolife consider the fertilized egg (two cells) to be a human being.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Pro choice see fetus as a fetus, prolife consider the fertilized egg (two cells) to be a human being.

when does it stop being a fetus and become human?

• Advertisement

Sigh, do people genuinely believe that by making assertions about anothers belief mean that it'll progress a conversation?

Pro-life believe this, pro-abortion believe that. Frankly it's childish. It might be more productive for people to refrain from putting words into each others mouths.

The fetus is a human being; the fetus is a child.
    The question is when should it be afforded the protection of the state; when should it earn the right to life.

In my opinion it becomes human when it reaches the stage where if it were removed from the womb it would capable of surviving without any long term physical or intellectual damage being caused by its birth. Im not a Doctor but I suspect thats probably around the 26-30 weeks, though like I say Im not a doctor so I am to some degree guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I don't think either can be reduced to little mini-statements like these. There are pro-choicers who do see the foetus as a developing human being and pro-lifers that do not see two cells as a human being.

It would save a lot of time and breath on these abortion-related threads if people said "in my opinion" instead of trying to represent a wide spectrum of belief. It just goes round and round and round and round and people get angrier and irrate...
    Perhaps I'm a wuss. I'm just making an observation.

Wups, I see I'm a slow typer. Thank you Zulu. Btw it's foetus, not fetus! (unless you're from the U.S)

The fetus is a human being. The question is when should it be afforded the protection of the state; when should it earn the right to life.
    No, it is a potential human being, which is miscarrages are not recorded in the registry of Deaths.
    In any event Termination is a matter for the potential mother and is a civil right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Really? I can't imagine someone on the pro-life side being glad that a woman who has had an abortion feels no guilt.

That's not a dig at pro-life people. It just feels to me like the response that would naturally go along with the belief that abortion is murder.

Like say I personally wouldn't be happy if I heard a murderer felt no guilt or remorse. And I wouldn't like to foster a culture where murderers don't feel guilt or remorse, or a culture where murder is seen as OK and the choice of the murderer.

So, I'm just applying that same feeling to people who are pro-life.

I'm not trying to be antagonistic, so if I'm wrong, please do explain where I am mistaken.
    I genuinely would like to understand how a pro-life (or anti-abortion) stance can fit with a notion of wanting a woman to come out the other side unharmed and guilt-free

No, it is a potential human being,
    Sorry, but putting it in bold doesn't make it right.

Providing references like I did however...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Time for this troll to go back under her bridge. Your 15 minutes are up love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

would you consider aborting a child with Downs Syndrome?

I wouldn't consider it, I'd do it.

• Advertisement

Really?
    Yes really.
    I can't imagine...
    Because you can't imagine it doesn't make it so.
    I'm not trying to be antagonistic.
    Yeah, sure. Don't make me laugh. To assert that "pro-lifers don't want women to come out of an abortion unharmed" is antagonistic.
    To assert that "they want them to be crippled by guilt and haunted by pain" is antagonistic.

You're being deliberately antagonistic, and disingenuous to boot.
    I genuinely would like to understand...
    I very much doubt that. If you are looking for a genuine conversation, I'd suggest being less antagonistic, disingenuous and offensive.

Advertisement