Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC say I need a new modem, do I ?

• 26-07-2012 12:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭

I with UPC about 2 moths using the Cisco EPC2425. Called about switching to 60mb and she said I need a new modem costing like €45. Is that true? Why give out modems that are not upgradeable

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

Doylers wrote: »
    I with UPC about 2 moths using the Cisco EPC2425. Called about switching to 60mb and she said I need a new modem costing like €45. Is that true? Why give out modems that are not upgradeable
    That's a Docsis 2.0 modem. A new one (docsis 3.0) is probs needed to attain that speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Doylers wrote: »

Do they re-issue modems other users have returned? I guess it would make sense in terms of saving money.

If so, you were probably issued with the 2425 because some previous owner upgraded to a faster speed and returned it. When you upgrade, it'll go back and be issued again to another customer on a slower broadband package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Yeah,we had to get a new Thompson router to replace our old Cisco when we upgraded to 50mb a few months back.The new router we were sent out was brand new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

Well guess they wont get more money a month outa more for that not just giving me one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The ED3 modem only became standard recently. I got the 2425 when I signed up last year to 25mb and got a 3925 as a replacement 2 months back when the modem was faulty. I upgraded speed afterwards as I was curious as to what it was like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement