Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with Vodafone Home Gateway - wiring issue?

• 26-07-2012 1:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Im looking for some advice. We have an issue since May whereby when the Vodafone Home Gateway is plugged in, the house phone is engaged.
    Now the house phone is plugged into a socket in the hall (splitter used) and has always been this way.
    The VF home gateway is plugged into the sitting room and has been this way since we got it. The Sky box is plugged into the Home Gateway.

Now nothing has changed in the house but Vodafone are saying its a wiring issue. Once we unplug the Home Gateway the house phone becomes normal again. Also if we plug the Sky box into this socket it also works perfectly so I cant see how its a wiring issue.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

If you connect a telephone to one of the Phone sockets on the modem, and you still don't get a dialing tone, it suggests the modem is screwed. What firmware version is the modem on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

roast wrote: »
    If you connect a telephone to one of the Phone sockets on the modem, and you still don't get a dialing tone, it suggests the modem is screwed. What firmware version is the modem on?

Its on the latest one - B028. When I connect the phone to the port on the modem we get a dial tone but cannot dial the phone or dial out of the phone.
    As soon as the modem is plugged in the phone line becomes engaged.
    Also we are able to use the house phone and Sky box through the socket that the Modem is plugged into.

Is the modem connected through a filter or a splitter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

roast wrote: »
    Is the modem connected through a filter or a splitter?

House phone is connected to the wall socket using a splitter. Router is connected directly to the wall.
    Its always been this way so I dont know how it could be in internal wiring issue.

There's a very slight possibility it's an internal wiring issue.

Try connecting the modem to the main drop point (first socket into the premises).
    Then test the phones with and without filters on other sockets, and also test with a phone connected through the modem.

If the problem is still there, I fail to see how it's an internal wiring issue. If you know anyone with the same model modem, you could test with that....my guess is that the telephony filters in the modem are screwed. Any lightning/power surges recently?

• Advertisement
Advertisement